The Wheel of Time books VS show

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Julia J 1
Currently Reading: The Priory of the Orange Tree
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-j-1.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

The Wheel of Time books VS show

Post by Julia J 1 »

I recently started reading WOT and have watched the entire first season. I was quite disappointed in it. I wanted to discuss it with other readers of the series, what did you think? Am I being too harsh or do you agree? And if you haven't read the series did the TV show convince you to?

Book spoilers allowed but please ONLY of Books 1 and 2.
Ogundare_tobi
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ogundare_tobi »

Maybe you might be right but let wait if there is a season 2
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

I really enjoyed the TV show, though I haven't read the book series. I would say the show has spurred me into wanting to read the books. I would like a second season of the show though.
Ebets
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62

Post by Ebets »

I have not heard good things about the show. I watched the first two episodes that was all I could handle. I have also read the series.
Fester John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fester-john.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Post by Fester John »

Am very eager to see season 2 of this series
devtastic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442

Post by devtastic »

Wheel of Time is one of my favorite series of all time. I dedicated almost a year's reading time to the slow devouring of it. Sometimes it was a slog, sometimes I hated the repetition of certain character traits that at a certain point I just thought, "WE GET IT ALREADY". However, the intense world-building, the vast myriad of different cultures we get a deep dive into, the flipping of gender roles, the story told from many perspectives was phenomenal. I still swoon.

The show... had me a little nervous by the end of the first episode. However, I had been looking forward to this for so long and it was visually beautiful I decided to grit my teeth and be positive. By the end of the first season, I was ready to throw my popcorn at my TV. I understand changing plot points or scrapping/combining characters for pacing. I understand truncating certain travel scenes because that can be boring to watch. I get all that- I respect it as artistic freedom.

But, giving Perrin a WIFE- who gets killed PDQ- makes no sense on multiple levels. To have him grappling with the tragedy of that act on top of the fact that IT ADDED NOTHING TO THE ACTUAL STORY had me scratching my head. Additionally, Perrin's "actual" wife/love story in the book is such a nice, fulfilling slow burn that really helps Perrin to grow as a character and be content within himself in all his forms. It was also a really nice break from Rand's love rhombus.

My point in the "Perrin rant" is that the show creators took a detour really early on in a 14 book series that has a dedicated fan base. To the point that Brandon Sanderson stepped up and gave us readers the ending we deserved. Prime made us wait a long time to see this hit the screens and it felt like desecration.

OF COURSE, I will watch season two when it comes out- but I probably won't get hyped up for it, nor will I reread ANY of the source material. Hopefully, I will have forgotten enough that I won't get so upset.
JosehNjuguna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josehnjuguna.html
Latest Review: The Slippery Road. by L. M. Bollers

Post by JosehNjuguna »

In my opinion, the TV show adaptation of The Wheel of Time is the best version because it successfully brings the beloved characters and rich world of the books to life in a visually stunning and immersive way. The production quality, from the intricate set designs to the impressive special effects, creates a captivating and authentic representation of the fantasy world.
One of the strengths of the TV show is its ability to streamline the complex plotlines of the books, making it more accessible to a wider audience. The adaptation carefully balances the intricate storytelling, keeping the essence of the original narrative intact while making necessary adjustments for the television medium. This allows both dedicated fans of the book series and newcomers to enjoy the story without feeling overwhelmed.
The casting choices for the TV show are exceptional, with the actors embodying the essence of their respective characters. Their performances breathe life into the beloved characters, capturing their personalities, motivations, and dynamics with great depth and nuance. The chemistry between the cast members adds an extra layer of authenticity to the relationships and interactions within the story.
Furthermore, the TV show adaptation offers a visually dynamic and epic portrayal of the battles, magic, and iconic moments from the books. The action sequences are choreographed with precision, showcasing the characters' unique abilities and adding excitement and intensity to the story. The visual effects work seamlessly to enhance the fantastical elements of the Wheel of Time universe.
the TV show adaptation of The Wheel of Time not only respects the source material but also elevates it through its visual prowess, strong performances, and effective storytelling choices. It captures the spirit of the books, engaging both longtime fans and newcomers alike, making it the best version in my opinion.
David Milaham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-milaham.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by David Milaham »

The show is terrible and has no respect for the source material. There's not a lot to like about the show
Zanne Crystle
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Eagles in Enchanting Landscape: by Debra Frame

Post by Zanne Crystle »

I really enjoy watching the show. I want to read the books, but I need to set aside some serious time to do that. My reading list is already a mile long.
Chockanathan G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chockanathan-g.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by Chockanathan G »

I haven't read the book. But show is quite good.
Angus Zonny
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angus-zonny.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Angus Zonny »

I preferred the show. It conveyed some emotions that weren't properly conveyed in the book. It was better.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Shiru Elizabeth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiru-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Unit 52 by Warren Barrow

Post by Shiru Elizabeth »

I've always been a fan of the books, and while the show makes some significant changes, it’s interesting to see a visual adaptation. The books, however, have more depth and detail, which I prefer.

Return to “Films and Books”