Books made into movies yes or no?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: Books made into movies yes or no?

Post by _claudi_ »

I personally prefer books made into movies. I like to see how the producer stretches his imagination while i enjoy the movie.
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

A Good book can hold its own while the movie can give a different perspective. A perfect example is the Bourne series. The story lines in all three novels are completely differes to those in the movies starring Matt Damon. Still, both the book series and the movies were pretty good..
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I don't mind when books are adapted into movies. I kind of get what other people got from reading the book. It is kind of like reading a review, but this time you are watching it play on the screen. I am always fascinated to see how the characters will be like, facially and thier body language in the screen from a book.
Even though we all know that movies ALWAYS leave out the best parts from the book. So I am not always excited to see a movie that has been adapted from a book as much as I am excited to get a new book.
nangel04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nangel04.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by nangel04 »

I cannot agree or disagree because I have seen some movies that adapted the book onto screen in a decent way. However, at the same time, there are so many movies that did an awful job of capturing the magic of the book they were derived from. I would have to say it is a case by case (or movie by movie) basis for me. I do have to add that I have only known one movie that ever surpassed the book. Only one (and that might be because I saw the movie first). Other than that, no movie has ever turned out to be better than the book.
In the beginning was the Word...John 1:1

Reason and love keep little company together nowadays. ~Shakespeare; A Midsummer Night’s Dream
AngelicG
Currently Reading: Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelicg.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by AngelicG »

I think it really depends. Usually I view the books and the films as different entities.... I have such a bad memory regarding specific details of stories that it is usually easy to do so.

Sometimes I enjoy the film more than the book. For instance, Dickens and Tolkien spend a lot of time describing the world they create which can sometimes make their books feel like hard work. But this style of writing translates well to creating a TV series or film from the books. And I find them easy to digest than the books. Some Nick Hornby books such as About a Boy, I enjoyed more than the books thanks to great characters that made the flawed characters really likeable.

In general I prefer the books, but I can still enjoy the film in their own right. I try not to consume both in quick succession to avoid direct comparisons.
jamespotter
Currently Reading: Invisible Man
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamespotter.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by jamespotter »

As many people have noted already, I would say it depends. Some novels are best kept as novels because the words that are used to paint the scenes can't be replicated by cinematography. I think a good example of this is actually Harry Potter. While I really do actually love the movies and think that they replicated the wizarding world to the best of anyone's ability, it lacked a lot of elements from the books that made Hogwarts feel like home. Whether that's the description of the food instead of just a wideshot of the Great Hall, or having to bear through the stuffy and boring history class instead of only being shown class scenes essential to the plot, the book is so much richer in its universe than the movies. The movies have their own charm, but I don't think it holds a candle to the original series.

This doesn't apply to all movie adaptions, of course. I recently saw Gerwig's 2019 adaptation of Little Women and thought it was brilliantly done. The movie is almost completely faithful to the book, which is rare. I loved being able to see the actual interactions between characters, especially since Alcott's writing doesn't lend much to the imagination compared to more modern writing. I thought Gerwig's use of switching between two timelines, or the two volumes of Little Women, brought more food for thought than Alcott's own writing did (although that may be because I've matured more since the last time I read the book). Yet, Gerwig was still able to make the movie feel like her own creation, instead of just an homage to Alcott. In cases like this, I think the movie enriches the reading experience because the movie in and of itself is an analysis of the novel. I would say this goes for movie adaptations for any classic, when writing had to be more spare in words, or used language that we don't quite understand anymore, i.e. Shakespeare, so that we can more clearly comprehend the original writing.
Leigh__k
Currently Reading: His Dark Materials
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leigh-k.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by Leigh__k »

I do not like watching books made to movies it is like watching a fast forward of a book which is even worse the little details are omitted making the movie worthless. Recently some networks have tried to make miniseries of books at least giving a book the story it deserves and also telling the story slightly different than the book so it is like watching the story you love being told in a different way which sadly I cannot be mad about
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

That's a difficult question. I don't think I can give a general answer. Sometimes I am extremely disappointed when watching a movie for a book I’ve read before. It usually turns out I imagined everything to be more impressive and interesting than what is shown. But on the other hand, I kind of like to experience how others visualize certain things. Therefore, it really depends.  
Gift Olubankole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giftabbie.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Gift Olubankole »

A little bit in the middle. Most times, they don't exactly portray some characters how readers would have imagined that character is like.
angelmuktar
Currently Reading: The Binding Stone
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by angelmuktar »

When reading a book I would always look to see if there is a movie for it, just for the sole fact of giving the images in my head a face. However, after watching a movie I am instantly hurt and annoyed. I love when books have a movie, I just wish that the movies could be more like the books, they always seem to take out the good parts, or the parts that reader's look forward to the most.
theprakriti
Currently Reading: The Glass Hotel
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theprakriti.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by theprakriti »

YES. A big fat yes. Its just another feeling to really see the scenes and the plot with you eyes. While reading we can imagine the story in our head but when it comes to a real scene it is more enhances and thus creates a long lasting impact.
Lost Star
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lost-star.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Lost Star »

For Harry Potter and Hunger Games, I was very satisfied. But am greatly disappointed with Percy Jackson :(
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Claire Vaal
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-vaal.html
Latest Review: So Long Earth by Michael Bienenstock

Post by Claire Vaal »

It depends. Usually I want it to be a movie because I want a visual, but sometimes it ruins the whole thing. Some good books that also have good movies are Harry Potter, The One And Only Ivan, and The Darkest Minds. Definitely recommend those
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

I read some books because I loved the movies. Most times, I often dump the books and do not finish it cos I can predict what would happen in each scene having watched the movie. But there are some books that need not be acted out cos they always seen to go off the books original story line.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

Yes, because then even non readers get to experience great stories

Return to “Films and Books”