Books made into movies yes or no?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Books made into movies yes or no?

Post by Christina O Phillips »

bebby_the_booker wrote:I actually can't stand in when books are made into films, I love books for the reason that I can make the people look however I like and the landscape and everything I don't like that someone else tries to decide how I see the story....does anyone feel the same way?
I mostly like it because there are things in the books that I'd like to see. For example, I really wanted to see the TriWizard Tournament from Harry Potter. But I usually end up disappointed: True Blood got so far away from the books and now I'm watching Midnight, Texas and some of the characters are not at all how I pictured them.
JustEthel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JustEthel »

A book made into a movie? I like it! I love to see my favorite book characters come alive on screen. Like for instance, my favorite Stephanie Plum book series by Janet Evanovich. They made a movie out of the first installment of that series One For The Money. Stephanie Plum portrayed by Katherine Heigl is so cool! I even wish that they will make movies out of all those books. It's not so bad at all. How many Stephen King books were made into movies that became a hit. Even those Hannibal Lecter books by Thomas Harris were made into movies and lots of people watched it.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

Tianarenee3 wrote:Despite the fact the 99% of the time the book version is better than the movie and the movie is always such a let down, I still love film adaptions regardless of how terrible they are.
Wendi wrote:No I like to see the movie and see how it is after reading the book!
:ditto:

I used to be super critical of the movies, but now its just fun (usually).
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
KN17488
Currently Reading: A Dog's Purpose
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by KN17488 »

I think books being made into movies always puts me on edge like oh is this goimg to live up to what the book is like. It usually doesn't, but some movies I believe actually did a good job with the time they have and all did a good job sticking to the book. The Hunger Games movies did not disappoint me because for the most part stuck to the book, but I know there is always corners that need to be cut and all. One book series made into a movie I couldn't stand was the Divergent series. I went and saw the first one and was very disappointed and the second one even more so. The third one I refused to go and see. It just in a way kind of sucks because it's like this book is so good and they are making it into a movie this is awesome. All in all I just think books shouldn't be made into movies. Everyone has their own imagination when they ready a story and how they think a character looks. It's always fun to compare though.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I love it when they are. As long as they are done right. If not they taint my experience when I read the book again.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I like reading books over watching movies, but I like to see my favorite books as a movie. As long as the movie is justified with a good cast and direction.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

When I hear a book I love is being made into a movie I get very excited and scared all at once.
Labiba27_

Post by Labiba27_ »

Whether we like it or not, books that are made into movies gives the reader, the viewers,the fandom a more clear vision of the story. Even though sometimes there are dramatic changes in the movies it does not premute the impact made by the book an it's readers. Through the movies, the fandom gets to live in the world they prefer.
Shirayuki Hime
Favorite Book: Tiger's Curse
Currently Reading: Endless Water, Starless Sky
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Shirayuki Hime »

I guess it's amazing to see our favorite character on sceen, it's even more fun for people who, sadly, doesn't like to read to watch the movie instead. But in either way, I prefer the book which is more interesting and complete than the movie that alot of part wasn't brought into the film.
ShannonHBC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonhbc.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by ShannonHBC »

I have no problem with books being made into movies, although of course I don't always like the result. But for example Fight Club (the film) is amazing!
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

It doesnt matter to me because most of the adapted films ive seen are good.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
mj234

Post by mj234 »

yes I think that books shouldn't be converted to a movie. books give different type of entertainment and movies different and that is why I always prefer awesome books can check the link in my profile :)
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

I see and respect your opinion. But you might reconsider later as movies sometimes are better than books.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
yeancha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yeancha.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by yeancha »

I love movies made from a book!
Shinderera Hime
Favorite Book: Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 2
Currently Reading: Shortcake cake
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Shinderera Hime »

It depends the story, sometimes it's the book I prefer the than movie or it's the movie I prefer than the book. Or sometime both can be great.

Return to “Films and Books”