Books made into movies yes or no?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
bebby_the_booker
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bebby-the-booker.html

Books made into movies yes or no?

Post by bebby_the_booker »

I actually can't stand in when books are made into films, I love books for the reason that I can make the people look however I like and the landscape and everything I don't like that someone else tries to decide how I see the story....does anyone feel the same way?
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

Depends on whether they cast Nicholas Cage or Aidan Turner. If they cast Nicholas Cage, I absolutely agree with you. If they cast Aidan Turner, I totally respect the producer's right to pursue his own vision of the work. :mrgreen:
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
WriterBLAlley

Post by WriterBLAlley »

I disagree.

A: The movie does not affect the book in any way (Except when some marketing genius changes the book title to the movie title)
B: Movies are good at giving books exposure they would otherwise not receive.
readerromance2003
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: Dark Magic
Currently Reading: Red
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerromance2003.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by readerromance2003 »

I prefer that the book be out for a minimum of one year or more before a movie is produced and put out to the public. That way the viewers can have a chance to experience the book the way it was meant to be before Hollywood changed it to fit their needs.
Tianarenee3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tianarenee3.html

Post by Tianarenee3 »

Despite the fact the 99% of the time the book version is better than the movie and the movie is always such a let down, I still love film adaptions regardless of how terrible they are.
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

it doesn't bother me - movie writers have to get their story lines from somewhere, often it is from books.

OP, if movie changes the way you see the book so much - easy solution, don't go to watch the movie.

It isn't compulsory, you know.
subzerowon
Favorite Author: Tolkien_ Koontz_ect
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Black Arrow
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-subzerowon.html
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods

Post by subzerowon »

I like comparing the differences from the book and the movie.
subzerowon
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It doesn't bother me. I hardly watch movies though and prefer the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
book_pig
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-pig.html

Post by book_pig »

If it was one of my favorite books, then I tend to get really 'protective' over it and- childishly- don't like when people watch the movie and judge it, or decide to be a huge fan. You know those people who rant about how you don't have the right to be a fan because you haven't read the book first, and how that person has been a fan from the beginning? If I wasn't so conscious of how annoying that is to listen to, I think I might be one of those people. But other than that, if there are good actors, and they have delivered the story well, then I generally enjoy it. Apparently Tim Burton is producing 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children', which I think is a PERFECT idea. :)
Believe_15
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: The Longest Ride -- Nicholas Sparks
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Believe_15 »

I agree with books made into movies that it gives the book proper recognition that it might not have already had. However, I don't like the movies that change the ending of the book. Other than that I do enjoy watching the movie after I have read the book.
CMcGee
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmcgee.html
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by CMcGee »

I think that if an author decides that he would like to make a book into a screenplay or has written a screenplay that is made into a book, that is truly up to the author's intention for the story that he is telling. I do feel though that a book allows the reader a "cinematic license" to be able to create their own images of the tale in their head, where as a movie puts the author's definitive intentions onto the screen and may make a more concrete image that could put a bad definition to a story that may have made an excellent read. I myself prefer to read most books, but did enjoy seeing the Dan Brown books on screen as I feel that some of the artwork and artifacts mentioned are more greatly appreciated when actual seen, and the Lord of the Rings series can be a hard read, but was made wonderfully into the cinematic screen. Older reads such as Shakespeare can be difficult as well, and perhaps a younger audience can be more appreciative with movie interpretations.
Bookworm0266
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Post by Bookworm0266 »

I think if there is a good cast then sometimes a movie can do a book justice. Production matters as well in terms of how true to the book the movie is in terms of sticking to the author's plot.
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano
golden arrow

Post by golden arrow »

I think of books as being separate from movies. If there is a good book with a bad movie the movie would not tarnish my opinion of the book.
boobearsman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boobearsman.html

Post by boobearsman »

Depends if the person stays true to the books idea of that whole story. Not changing something so it seems realistic or something

-- 05 May 2014, 19:38 --

Depends if the person stays true to the books idea of that whole story. Not changing something so it seems realistic or something
Mishi_Wishi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishi-wishi.html

Post by Mishi_Wishi »

Yes, as some people aren't able to read but really want to know the story, then it's fair that they get to access the book in a different format

Return to “Films and Books”