Books made into movies yes or no?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
dina s
Currently Reading: Taken - A Many Lives Story
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Books made into movies yes or no?

Post by dina s »

I actually enjoy movies made from books, as sometimes I wold not know about the book if not for my interest in the movie
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Books_are_Life »

I think book to movies are great. As an big time reader I tend to treat them as two separate things and not compare them to each other (I often fail). I prefer the books as I read it, I live it. In my day job I'm a teacher and I have found some students that find a movie based on a book to be good are interested in the book. Once these students read them and find so much more in the books they get hooked into becoming life long readers. Because of this I will always be a fan of books turned into movies.
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

A lot of movie adaptations do fall short, but there are a lot of great ones as well. Many of my favorite movies were adapted from a book. There are also times where I've found the movie is actually better than the book, although that is rare.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I find recently I've only really enjoyed them if I didn't know that the book came first.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I enjoy it when movies are made from books, assuming that they are made well. Most of the time I end up enjoying them. Very rarely have I disliked the movie version. Whenever that happens, it never ruins the book for me, which I am happy about. I just pretend the movie doesn't exist in that situation.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
bobRas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobras.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by bobRas »

Movie adaptations are not translations. Things are going to change from one medium to the other. As long as the essence and point remains, a movie adaptation can be good as such (it could still fail as a movie, though).
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Books made into movies? Definitely YES! Books alone won't have the mass recognition and appeal that movies have especially with a lot of advertising moolah!
Sal the Gal
Favorite Author: Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 89">Stig's Flight of Encounters</a>
Currently Reading: Bishop's War
Bookshelf Size: 9
fav_author_id: 64907

Post by Sal the Gal »

If they are done well I love to see a book made into a movie, but most cannot beat your own imagination. I love the Hunger Games movies, I think it's because the author stayed involved in the making of the movies.
I think "The Hidden City of Chelldrah-ham" series by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen would make excellent movies, starting with "Stig's Flight of Encounters". Some books lend themselves more to this than others.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

For me, it all depends how well they are done. If done well, like Sal the Gal, has said, then yes. Unfortunately, most adaptions do not typically live up to the books. So, I would still see the adaptions out of curiosity, but if they stopped making them, then I don't think I'd miss it so much.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

anomalocaris wrote:Depends on whether they cast Nicholas Cage or Aidan Turner. If they cast Nicholas Cage, I absolutely agree with you. If they cast Aidan Turner, I totally respect the producer's right to pursue his own vision of the work. :mrgreen:
Ouch! I happen to like Nicholas Cage!

But that aside, I am always curious to see a book I like on the big screen. While it is true that the movie is almost always a disappointment as compared to the book, I still watch it if I have the chance.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I have no problem with books being made into movies. I find the best tactic is to be able to separate the two, and then that stops me being irritated if it doesn't match up quite right.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

Well, at times when you need to have an imagination of it, like sci fi, i would like to see a film of it, but if just the feels and nothing to imagine that much, i guess i'll agree with you a little bit (Most especially when the movie just sucks)
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Yeah, I get your feeling. With the aforementioned movies, there's always that sense of degradation
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Gratey12
Currently Reading: Marvel Science Stories Nov 1950
Bookshelf Size: 588
Reading Device: B00P93430Q

Post by Gratey12 »

It's okay for a book to be turned into a movie for as long as the producer and screen-writer would hew closely to the mindset of the book's author as well as his presumed message in writing the book. Unfortunately, this isn't always the case as some producers would actually try to make a name for themselves by riding on the theme of the book especially when it has become popular.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I don't mind books being made into movies. Some are done really well. Of course, there are some that aren't. I can understand not liking that someone is forcing you to visualize the book in a certain way. There are definitely thinks in book-based films that I don't enjoy, even if I love the movie overall. Like the Harry Potter movies have a lot of great things, and have added a lot to how I view the books, but there are things I disagree with. I think it's interesting though, watching someone else show how they view a book when it's different from my own. It just shows how people see things differently when they read, and it's cool that books have that capacity.

I do think that its becoming a crutch in the movie business though. Movies based on books, sequels, remakes...it's all becoming repetitive in the movie industry. Original ideas seem to be a novelty in Hollywood.

Return to “Films and Books”