Shadow and Bone

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
thepensivist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thepensivist.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Onyx Gold

Shadow and Bone

Post by thepensivist »

Who else has read the books and watched the Netflix series?

While it wasn't terrible as a TV show, I have to be honest - I was incredibly disappointed with the adaptation. Not only did they ruin the storyline for Shadow and Bone, but they had to bring in Six of Crows and ruin that, too??

:snooty:
beatrice_mom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by beatrice_mom »

I plan to look, only after your review I think whether it is worth watching or is it better not to spoil the impression after the books?
thepensivist
Currently Reading:

Post by thepensivist »

That would be up to you haha. I think there were some positive aspects that came from the TV show, like I enjoyed the cast, but that was about it.
Cátia Rato
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catiarato.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Post by Cátia Rato »

Oh, really? :(
I actually love the books and the tv show. I really think they did a great job. Yes, somethings weren't perfect, but I felt like the cast was born to play these characters.
I also liked the merge between SB and SC, don't really know how to explain it.
I'm really sorry you didn't like it! I've talked with some friends that read the books and watched the show and they also loved it.
thepensivist
Currently Reading:

Post by thepensivist »

catiarato wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 10:04 Oh, really? :(
I actually love the books and the tv show. I really think they did a great job. Yes, somethings weren't perfect, but I felt like the cast was born to play these characters.
I also liked the merge between SB and SC, don't really know how to explain it.
I'm really sorry you didn't like it! I've talked with some friends that read the books and watched the show and they also loved it.
I think I'm just really traditional when it comes to book to screen haha. I really like it when they can keep the films close to the books because it feels like more of it coming to life, versus something just inspired by the books, if that makes sense. I mean the show wasn't bad, it just felt so far off from the books.
Jedi_Pants
Currently Reading: Caelo et in Terra
Bookshelf Size: 564
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jedi-pants.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Jedi_Pants »

I had reread Shadow and Bone before watching it and was incredibly confused because I couldn't remember who Kaz was. I think I was 3 episodes in and lots of going through Wikipedia for me to realize I should have reread Six of Crows also.

I like the Crows duology and felt that it was more interesting than the trilogy. I felt that regarding characterization at least, the show stuck with that very well. I was disappointed that they threw SO MUCH into so few episodes and I felt the merge was very tough to keep track of. A good friend loves the Grishaverse and even she was confused by it.

I will say that the music was fantastic. I read an interview the composer did and he said he talked to Bardugo and the producer (and/or director) to glean their thoughts on what music would fit best with each scene.
So as a whole, I feel like the creators took care of Bardugo's baby--and I figure if she's okay with it, I am too.

I'm glad they were approved for a 2nd season.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

I have read both the series and watched the Netflix show. I loved the books, but I was not a huge fan of the tv series. Very cliche, but the TV adaptation was not as good as the books.
Sara M 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sara M 1 »

I have read all of the Grishaverse books and I have to agree - I was left disappointed by the series. I thought the CGI and the stage production was perfectly fine. The main problem I had with the show was definitely the script and the acting. Kit Young was the only one for me that portrayed an AMAZING Jesper - but all of the other ones made it very obvious that they were amateurs (not talking about Ben Barnes and Zoe Wanamaker).
I know they felt the need to include the Six of Crows narrative since it is the most popular one of the three individual series, but it really fell short. I wish they had waited a bit more and maybe found a better cast before adapting Six of Crows. I'm sure Freddy is a nice person, but he made Kaz look very cringy, dull and flat.
Last edited by Sara M 1 on 14 Dec 2021, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

I haven't read the book, but I've tried giving the Netflix series a shot more than once. I always seem to toggle between the first two episodes; just can't seem to get past that point.
Carly Sprout
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

I have to disagree with most in this thread and admit that I loved the series. I think it was a good adaptation that did more than just retell the story - it expanded the universe. Other characters were also allowed more complexity because the show was not limited to Alina's first-person narrative the way the book was. I feel like the changes made really enhanced the story.
Carly Sprout
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

Elijah0007 wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 14:53 I haven't read the book, but I've tried giving the Netflix series a shot more than once. I always seem to toggle between the first two episodes; just can't seem to get past that point.
Although the first episode is frustrating due to a lot of exposition, the show gets much better with each episode, I promise.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

I haven't read the book yet, but I loved series! It was so unpredictable, I couldn't help but binge-watch the entire show!
kasedy Fairbairn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasedy-fairbairn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by kasedy Fairbairn »

I have watched some of the series, and I have the first five books. I have not had the chance to read the books yet unfortunately.

Return to “Films and Books”