The Great Gatsby

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Nikhitha Reddy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 355
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikhitha-reddy.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

The Great Gatsby

Post by Nikhitha Reddy »

I recently watched the 2013 adaptation of The Great Gatsby directed by Baz Luhrmann starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby and I loved it. Even though there are some glitches I found in the film, they couldn't stop me from loving the film. It really did take me through the Jazz era I imagined while reading the classic novel written by F. Scott Fitzgerald

And I really loved DiCaprio as Gatsby. Actually all the cast did a great job. Although I am not quite satisfied with Carey Mulligan's Daisy. I think she took a sad take on Daisy. But I imagined Daisy as being more strong and self centered even when she is vulnerable.

And the music is just awesome. Specially "young and beautiful" by Lana Del Rey. That song just gets me every time. I think it's just perfect as Daisy's theme. It's as though that song calls directly to my soul. In whole, the movie made me want to go and read the book again.

What are your thoughts on this adaptation of the book? Did you like it?
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

I loved this adaptation. Huge fan of Leo too. The song by Lana Del Rey was one that was on repeat for many months. This book is a classic and I am glad the movie had a fun twist at the end.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

I think this adaptation missed a central point of the book which is that all these parties and wealth was very sad and should have been despised but the movie portrayed them as these magical and lovely things.
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

I can't really say if I liked it or not. I wasn't a fan of watching Gatsby take another's wife. Tho I liked how classic the movie was made
PriyankaBeeput
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankabeeput.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by PriyankaBeeput »

I loved the adaptation as well, I've heard a lot of criticism of Luhrrmann's directorial style, but I loved it and though it worked well translating the excess and extravagance of the time period.
lina_muktar31
Currently Reading: The Binding Stone
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by lina_muktar31 »

Although the book and the movie had a couple of differences I enjoyed both. I think Leo DiCaprio did an amazing job of playing Gatsby. Overall I give the book and movie both a 10/10.
SiennaEllie
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siennaellie.html
Latest Review: Let's Help You Self-Help! by Anthony Jacob Braaten

Post by SiennaEllie »

I think that they perfectly captured the dream like state in the movie but the deeper into the plot you got the more you realised that it actually wasn't what people thought it was which represents the roaring 20s. It also could represents Gatsbys life in itself and how it looks very good from the outside when actually it was very depressing. Of course the movie could never fully capture the whole book but I thought that it was the best reimagination of it they could have made.
MBerretta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mberretta.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by MBerretta »

The soundtrack for this movie is the bomb! We played the entire thing at our wedding!
"I want to learn everything I can, and I write down everything I see. Golly says if I want to be a writer someday, I better start now, and that is why I am a spy."

-Harriet M. Welsch (Harriet the Spy, 1996)
Abdo Sonbol
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading: The Da Vinci Code
Bookshelf Size: 32
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by Abdo Sonbol »

Gatsby is not just a movie it's a very special kind of great films , I called it Greatby , it's extremely hard to give a description of Leonardo DiCaprio's acting , it's obvious that needs no explanation , he doesn't act but he really perform an harmonic symphony.
Mountainbreeze23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mountainbreeze23.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Mountainbreeze23 »

Leonardo Di Caprio, I think, was able to portray the vulnerability of the character who is rich but always aspires to get where the 'born rich' are but feels that he never can.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

I loved the movie. The book too had an interesting plot.

Return to “Films and Books”