Books That Shouldn't Have Been Made Into Movies

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
emmaskyblue
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: Books That Shouldn't Have Been Made Into Movies

Post by emmaskyblue »

Sometimes, it is not easy to convert written work to actions that is why we have disparities.
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

I think all books can be made into movies, but it's how they are carried out which is the issue. But keep in mind that movie makers have, on average, 2 hours to fit 300 pages of a book. It is not that easy, and only few succeed in making a movie that is pleasant and enjoyed by most people.
GerganaIvanova_7
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by GerganaIvanova_7 »

lolashoes wrote: 26 Jul 2016, 20:27 The Mortal Instruments. The film adaptation was horrible in my opinion. I was only able to endure the first 15 minutes of the movie. :/
Yes, totally agree, the books were fantastic, but the movie...
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Why does everyone hate the DaVinci code movie?? I liked it, though the book was way better. I'm scared for the second season of Big LIttle Lies--the first season was true to the book and that's why it was great. I have no idea how they're planning to do another season even though they already covered all the source material.
Musae
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musae.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Musae »

I agree with Eragon - the movie did not do the book justice!
whoisaida
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by whoisaida »

Twilight (':

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Believe it or not.

Twilight saga is the worst.

New moon, eclipse and breaking dawn are acceptable.
swirlofink
Currently Reading: 'Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom'
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by swirlofink »

The true film adaption that let me down was the Percy Jackson and the Olympians movies. I still remember how the very first 30 second teaser trailer was more in line with the book than the actual movie was. I'm still holding out hope they're going to remake it maybe as a TV show with a diverse cast! :")
Jaycee95

Post by Jaycee95 »

I didn't like the remake of IT. Terrible casting in my opinion and they changed the movie alot. From the book.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

The Bookaholic wrote: 16 Dec 2013, 11:02 The twilight saga. I did not enjoy those movies.
I totally agree. Also, the Percy Jackson franchise.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

The Fifty Shades series, Vampire Academy, Eragon, Mortal Instruments. What were they thinking???!!
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

Wasif Ahmed wrote: 08 Oct 2016, 00:37 The golden compass movie just made me mad. It was dull and boring. The divergent movies as well were not any better.
Ohhhhh lordy, The Golden Compass. I remember watching the end of that movie, knowing it wasn't going to end the way the book was going to end, and still being shocked when they did end it. I sat there thinking "what? No, what?? Put those lights back down, we're not done here!"
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician

Post by pinefamily »

All movies based on books are basically cash grabs. The different medium is always going to present issues for movie makers, some books more than others.
For me, most Stephen King inspired movies. I did like the new It, and thought it was closer to the book in feel than the older one. Stephen King apparently liked it too.
The Dark Tower movie would have been confusing to anyone not familiar with the books, and I felt it was rushed, cramming a whole series into one movie. They could have at least got a trilogy out of it; unlike the overstretched Hobbit trilogy, the Dark Tower would have benefited from more than one movie.
Catch 22 was a terrible movie, as was the first Conan movie, with Schwarzenegger. I grew up reading Robert E. Howard, and could not believe how poor that movie was.
On the flip side, I watched Gone Girl before reading the book. Loved the movie, but did not enjoy the book.
Mrverno

Post by Mrverno »

I am currently reading Game of Thrones, after watching season one. I am amazed at how well the two compliment each other. Now, on the other hand, I tried reading No Country for Old Men after seeing the movie and could not get past the third chapter. Not because of the writing, I love Cormac McCarthy, but because of Woody Harleson and his character. For some reason it was the interpretation of the character for me that ruined it. But take The Road, loved the book, but I read it first. Do others find it matters if you read it first or not? Would love a discussion.
gracemutanu

Post by gracemutanu »

The NeverEnding Story. Really bad.
laceyymayf

Post by laceyymayf »

Coraline. Read them book and tell in love.. Watched the movie and it just wasn't the same at all.

Return to “Films and Books”