The Hobbit Trilogy: GOOD or NOT?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

The Hobbit Trilogy: GOOD or NOT?

Post by Grace Bela »

For a bit of background, I've always been a big fan of both Tolkien and fantasy movies. So when I heard about the Hobbit movies coming out, I was so excited. While the trilogy is blatantly untrue to the book, I honestly still loved it. Which I know is a VERY unpopular opinion. Seeing characters of one of my favorite books come to life was such an amazing experience. Martin Freeman was a wonderful choice for Bilbo and I was in awe of watching Smaug on the big screen. Even though it wasn't always what you would expect from the book and added a lot of material, I really like the trilogy's plot. What do you guys think about the movies versus the books? Did you enjoy the movies or think that they're not that great?
:tiphat:
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

I can't argue with that. The Hobbit movies aren't an accurate portrayal of the books, but they are still amazing and the CGI is brilliant. It was great watching all of them on theaters, they are great movies. Though, the Hobbit is a way smaller book than The Lord of the Rings, and it should have been easier adapting it in an accurate way.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Haven't read the books but the movies are absolutely great.
JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

The Hobbit book is fantastic, I don't feel that the movies really did the book justice based on Tolkien's literary work, however, the movies were great on their own without comparison to the book. The storylines were well written and the CGI was great although I always imagined Smaug looking a bit different than they depicted in the movie.
- The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. —Dr. Seuss
Lydia Matson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Odyssey
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-matson.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Lydia Matson »

I think as movies, they are objectively good quality and enjoyable to watch. When compared to the books, I completely and utterly despise their existence. Though Peter Jackson's changes to the original story were creative, I think they were incredibly disrespectful to Tolkien. Tolkien wrote a genius novel and created an entire universe out of it, and though Peter Jackson legally had the right to adapt it, it was uncalled for to try and "enhance" the stories with an "I can do better than Tolkien did" attitude.
lisa mullan
Currently Reading: The Brothers Karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by lisa mullan »

Haven't read novel but i liked movies. I am a Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch fan and there both in movie although Benedict is doing voice acting.
Sarah Eliza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-eliza.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by Sarah Eliza »

I am a massive fan of the LOTR trilogy, and was thrilled when I heard The Hobbit was going to be made. Sadly, I was incredibly disappointed. There were far too many deviations from the source material (yes, there were deviations in the LOTR trilogy as well), and I frankly found myself bored. While I can agree that the CGI was very good, I found that to be the only good quality. Even viewing The Hobbit trilogy as original movies and ignoring the source material, I still was unimpressed. I wanted them to be great. Instead I pretend they never happened.
Graham Gill
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: Dixon

Post by Graham Gill »

I think that if you have read the book, the movie will be a disappointment, however if you have not yet read the book watching the movie will make the book better.
Kayla_Sanders
Currently Reading: Iron Widow
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-sanders.html
Latest Review: Signs in the Rearview Mirror by Kelly Smith

Post by Kayla_Sanders »

I love both the books and the movies. Everything centering around the LOTR/Hobbit movie franchise has always been so well done, despite not being as accurate to the books. They're some of my favorite comfort movies!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” – Charles W. Eliot
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

I watch the hobbit series more than twice. Still not satisfied. Nothing can replace the adventure of these movies.
Bibi Farheen K
Currently Reading: Lore of Light Volume 1
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibi-farheen-k.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Bibi Farheen K »

I did not read the books (or any LOTR, yet), but this trilogy is one of my favourites!
I can watch these and LOTR multiple times and not get bored.
Claire Twy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Grace Bela wrote: 15 May 2020, 17:47 For a bit of background, I've always been a big fan of both Tolkien and fantasy movies. So when I heard about the Hobbit movies coming out, I was so excited. While the trilogy is blatantly untrue to the book, I honestly still loved it. Which I know is a VERY unpopular opinion. Seeing characters of one of my favorite books come to life was such an amazing experience. Martin Freeman was a wonderful choice for Bilbo and I was in awe of watching Smaug on the big screen. Even though it wasn't always what you would expect from the book and added a lot of material, I really like the trilogy's plot. What do you guys think about the movies versus the books? Did you enjoy the movies or think that they're not that great?
:tiphat:
Okay, Tolkien did an amazing job with creating Middle-Earth and yes, the movies weren't an accurate portrayal of the books, BUT I love the movies. From watching the behind the scenes vlogs, you can tell how much work and dedication Peter Jackson and the crew put in and it's really fun to watch. I was really impressed with how he handled the dwarves because you have to differentiate them on screen as opposed to in the book and I was quite excited to see characters like Legolas come back. Tauriel was an unexpected addition and the love triangle was kind of unnecessary, but separating it from the fact that it was in Middle-Earth, it was a beautiful love story and now I'm even sadder that Kili died.
Zulaykha_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulaykha-001.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Zulaykha_001 »

I haven't read the book but I've seen the movie and LOTR, I've watched the Hobbit trilogy and LOTR way more than I can count but I'd like to read the book someday
Danielle Jost
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Danielle Jost »

Definitely a big fan of the movies. I haven't read the books but I would love too.
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I agree with you! The plot was fun, there’s no way they could have made 3 movies out of one relatively short book!

Return to “Films and Books”