The Hobbit Trilogy: GOOD or NOT?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Maria Tsarouche
Currently Reading: Doyle's Law
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-tsarouche.html
Latest Review: The Stolen Heir by Tayma Tameem

Re: The Hobbit Trilogy: GOOD or NOT?

Post by Maria Tsarouche »

The movies were indeed awesome and I loved them too. I feel like they're not disrespectful to the book, just slightly inspired by it in a very abstract way.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

There is a difference between movies and books at specific times, as they are quite shifted in the film and there is more emphasis on them than in the book. But despite everything, movies and books remain a unique creation.
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

I haven't read the books, but, unpopular opinion, the movies are more enjoyable than the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I especially loved Cocumbersnatch's portrayal of Smaug.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

I never read the Hobbit. But given the amount of attention it's gotten through the years? It's definitely got to be a really good read.
Jordan Abio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-abio.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jordan Abio »

The Hobbit trilogy is one of the best movies ever made. Though the movies deviate quite a lot from the book they're really good.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

I don't know about the books, but I really enjoyed The Hobbit. I liked the movies so much that I know that even after I read the books it won't make any difference.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

I absolutely love The Hobbit (and LOTR) stories and movies so would highly recommend watching The Hobbit. There is so much work that goes into the production of these movies to really bring Tolkien’s words to life. Such a joy for me when I get to watch them.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michael Villanueva »

I read the Hobbit and it was a surprisingly quick read. There was a perfect mix of action and plot to keep the story going and I didn't want to put the book down. The movies on the other hand were drawn out. I don't mind movies adding plot lines, adding characters, or making changes in general. I just felt that the trilogy spread the overarching narrative too thin. I think a single movie could have been great, I wonder if there is a fan edit out there that tries to cut the three movies into one?
kasedy Fairbairn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasedy-fairbairn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by kasedy Fairbairn »

I loved the hobbit movies, even if they made me cry. I have not had the pleasure yet of reading the books.
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michael Villanueva »

kasedy Fairbairn wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 15:06 I loved the hobbit movies, even if they made me cry. I have not had the pleasure yet of reading the books.
There is only one Hobbit book, and its actually pretty short. The Lord of the Rings trilogy was written well over 10 years after The Hobbit and the two stories are only loosely connected. You could pick up the Lord of Rings without ever reading the Hobbit and understand everything, and you could read The Hobbit as a complete standalone story without feeling like you need to read The Lord of the Rings.
kasedy Fairbairn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasedy-fairbairn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by kasedy Fairbairn »

Michael Villanueva wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 09:07
kasedy Fairbairn wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 15:06 I loved the hobbit movies, even if they made me cry. I have not had the pleasure yet of reading the books.
There is only one Hobbit book, and its actually pretty short. The Lord of the Rings trilogy was written well over 10 years after The Hobbit and the two stories are only loosely connected. You could pick up the Lord of Rings without ever reading the Hobbit and understand everything, and you could read The Hobbit as a complete standalone story without feeling like you need to read The Lord of the Rings.

I actually bought my sister the Hobbit book after the first movie came out. I will have to ask her to let me barrow it. I still haven’t read the Lord of the Rings books either.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

No movie adaptation will ever be as good as the book. The Hobbit movies are great, even though they do not follow the books well.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

I have to add that The Rings of Power on Amazon is just awful! What absolute garbage! I watched it because I'm a huge Tolkien fan, but did they really hot wire Mount Doom with a knife? I laughed out loud and couldn't watch any more! 
Jack King
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Grace Bela wrote: 15 May 2020, 17:47 For a bit of background, I've always been a big fan of both Tolkien and fantasy movies. So when I heard about the Hobbit movies coming out, I was so excited. While the trilogy is blatantly untrue to the book, I honestly still loved it. Which I know is a VERY unpopular opinion. Seeing characters of one of my favorite books come to life was such an amazing experience. Martin Freeman was a wonderful choice for Bilbo and I was in awe of watching Smaug on the big screen. Even though it wasn't always what you would expect from the book and added a lot of material, I really like the trilogy's plot. What do you guys think about the movies versus the books? Did you enjoy the movies or think that they're not that great?
:tiphat:
I think I am usually quite objective and fair with movies, I don't expect every movie to be an award winner and look at it more in terms of it is enjoyable to view. For example most Marvel movies are fun and enjoyable to watch but they are not award winners. The Hobbit films are not quite enjoyable enough for me to call them good, their is too much filler. I have read the book and understand it is aimed at a younger audience but I think the films missed out on even that.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I agree with you, unpopular opinion but I love the films. I know they don’t follow the book and some moments (as the fight in the river) are maybe too long but I enjoyed the films so much (and I have read the book couple of times).

Return to “Films and Books”