Little Women

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Acalcote
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalcote.html
Latest Review: André's Reboot by Steve Coleman

Little Women

Post by Acalcote »

Is anyone looking forward to the Little Women movie coming out on Christmas? I absolutely love the book, however the trailer seems to be more about the modern feminist movement in today's society rather than the morals and lessons the four sisters were taught as they grew up. I'm curious to see how the movie is going to turn out. Honestly, I am super excited about it.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

I saw the movie, and I loved it! I'll admit I haven't read the book yet, but the movie does center on the lessons the girls were taught. Jo is turned into a bit of a feminist icon, but she's still well-rounded and relatable. And her writing process is just like mine :)
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Empan16
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empan16.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by Empan16 »

I loved the new movie! I think it's refreshing to see movies with so many female leads. I personally liked the feminist touch to the movie. It not only showed the rebellious Jo who didn't want to conform to society but also showed how women, like Meg, chose to live the married life with a husband and children. I think that the movie showed that no matter what, the women had the ability to choose. They were all powerful enough to make their own life choices no matter if they fit into societies expectations. I liked how all the women had the power to make their own life, whether it be to get married, not to get married, marry poor, or make their own forms of money without the power of a male figure hovering over them. Overall, I loved the movie and am looking forward to reading the book!
andewort
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by andewort »

I liked the movie too, but I would like to know the opinion of the person who also read the book. Is there anyone who read?
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

I haven't watched the movie, only trailers...and I don't think it does the books justice enough..maybe am wrong I will watch it though to be sure..... I liked the book so much
Booklover10301
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover10301.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by Booklover10301 »

I have not read the novel in a few years, but was very excited to see the movie. I went and saw it with my sister a couple weeks ago and was blown away by the masterpiece. I felt that not only did they do an amazing job of once again during the novel into a screen adaption, but the casting was impeccable. The actors and actresses in this adaption did such an amazing job that as I watched them on screen, I felt as if they were the only actors to ever play them, and not once did I feel as if it were a recreation before me.
[Danielle]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

I have not read the book, but I thought the movie was very well done. It was updated a bit in how it tackled the issues of how women were thought of in that time period in a way that I felt was realistic to the situations the women were in. It was beautifully shot and I enjoyed it.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

I read the book and watched the movie. I think the movie did a wonderful job of retelling the events of the book while also making it relatable and compelling for modern audiences.
Jeno2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Jeno2018 »

I have read the book and seen 3 of the movie versions, 1933, 1949, and 1994. I have not been able to bring myself to watch the last two versions made. I plan on watching the latest this summer to compare it with the others. Personally so far I feel the best adaptation from book to movie was the 1949 one with Audrey Hepburn. I feel it the actresses better represent the characters in the book during the time period the book was set in. The 1994 seems to be a more modern take and I feel this current one is probably even more so. It tends to be harder for to go farther back in time for many actors and actresses and producers these days, unless is it more of a sci-fiction type movie and less drama-romance.
But I absolutely love the book.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

Acalcote wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 14:49 Is anyone looking forward to the Little Women movie coming out on Christmas? I absolutely love the book, however the trailer seems to be more about the modern feminist movement in today's society rather than the morals and lessons the four sisters were taught as they grew up. I'm curious to see how the movie is going to turn out. Honestly, I am super excited about it.
I loved the book too. I did not know about the movie. Thanks for letting me know. I would definitely like to watch it.
Sarah Morse
Currently Reading: The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-morse.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sarah Morse »

I haven’t watched the movie yet, but I’ve heard great things about it. I have to admit that when I first watched the trailer, I was kind of hoping Emma Watson would play Jo, but I’m sure she did really well as Meg.

Honestly I have such a personal connection with this story: I read the book a couple times, watched one of the former movie adaptations (I don’t remember which one), watched the mini TV series on Masterpiece, watched the play version at my university, wrote a paper about the book, and played Jo in a scene for my high school theatre class’s midterm. I’m so excited to see what direction Greta Gerwig took with this beautiful tale.
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." – Walt Disney
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

I watched the movie and absolutely loved it.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

The newest movie was amazing. I watched the old version of Little Women before going to see the current one and I am happy with the ending.
ava_21
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by ava_21 »

I read the book a year or so ago, and I really liked it. And I thought the movie was awesome. I loved the colors, the visuals were amazing, and it was overall a splendid movie. I also liked that they didn't make the movie drastically different from the book. Splendid movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

andewort wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 13:19 I liked the movie too, but I would like to know the opinion of the person who also read the book. Is there anyone who read?
I have read the book and it is very close to my heart. I approached this new adaption with an open mind because of all the great things I had heard about it. I was sorrowfully disappointed.
I think the way they did flashbacks to convey the past and then jumped forward to the present (over and over) was very distracting and confusing.
The casting was poorly done in my opinion. The actor for Laurie was kind of pathetic, the actress for young Amy looked too old, and (the worst casting choice) Laura Dern did not embody marmee (Mrs. March) at all. They did a terrible job of portraying Beth and as a result, I was not at all sad when she died (whereas I cried in the book).
Not only that, but the movie missed the point of the book, skimmed over things at a superficial level while missing the deep messages, and was too feminist.
I have seen four different versions of Little Women and the best thus far has been the one with Winona Ryder.

Forgive me if I have been to blunt or straightforward. This book means a lot to mean so I felt the need to explain my grievances with the movie. :-)
-Thea M. Frederick

Return to “Films and Books”