Joker

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Joker

Post by LinaMueller »

To be honest, I can't stand the idea that entertainment for kids is becoming the dominant culture in the movie industry. That's why I usually don't like superhero movies. But, wow, Joker is amazing. This movie has a deep emotional resonance with the audience and what a brilliant acting by Joaquin Phoenix. He deserves the Oscar: no question about it. The inclusion of pathological laughter and distorted facial gestures is fascinating and scary at the same time. I was totally amazed by it and never thought that a superhero movie could be so deep and intriguing. What about you guys?
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore »

I think it part of the fascination is that it isn’t a superhero/supervillain story at all. It’s a character study that they cheekily got everyone to come and see by using The Joker as a device.

That’s not a criticism though. It’s one of the best films I’ve seen in recent years!
'All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling' - Oscar Wilde
'Am reading more Oscar Wilde. What a tiresome, affected sod' - Noël Coward
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I've always preferred the villains to the heroes, even when I was younger. Their stories were just so much more interesting. I think that's why Harley Quinn got such a popular rep after Suicide Squad. The fact that Joker ties in all the facets of how society affects us all, with the backdrop of mental illness and just plain hysterics is why it's such a good movie. I love that they took one of my favourite villains and explored his origin story and antihero arc with painful, scary detail.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Truth be told, I was reluctant to watch it, considering how hit movies are usually overrated, but now I'm considering to.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

Joker was never for kids. It was R rated from the get go. Batman is much darker than many comics. Sure, there's versions for kids. Graphic novels are meant for adults. Watchmen, 300, Punisher, Sin City etc
slj3988
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

I liked the film. However, the Joker as a villain was appealing to me when he didn't have a true past.
Marsnikk
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsnikk.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Marsnikk »

This film captivated me. The psychology behind society making a villain, watching joker evolve, and even his disassociation from reality all tied well into Joker as we know him.

I felt horrified for Arthur and happy when he found what made him happy, killing. The twisting my emotions and preconceived ideas of good and evil is exactly what I love in a story line.
Marsnikk
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsnikk.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Marsnikk »

slj3988 wrote: 25 Dec 2019, 16:28 I liked the film. However, the Joker as a villain was appealing to me when he didn't have a true past.
It is easier to see a villain as “bad” when you don’t know their story.
slj3988

Post by slj3988 »

Yeah but what I mean to say is part of what made Joker so interesting as a villain was you didn't know anything about him. Stripping away that mystery kind of spoils it. The movie struggled to say if you were supposed to feel sorry for him or just understand why he went bad
habsfan212
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-habsfan212.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by habsfan212 »

slj3988 wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:33 Yeah but what I mean to say is part of what made Joker so interesting as a villain was you didn't know anything about him. Stripping away that mystery kind of spoils it. The movie struggled to say if you were supposed to feel sorry for him or just understand why he went bad
I agree with you. Before that movie, the Joker was just a crazy villain you loved to hate because there’s just nothing good about him. In the movie, he’s still crazy, but you realise some people were mean to him for no reasons. It made me conflicted about a character I knew for a long time. It’s still a good movie though.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I definitely wouldn't rate Joker as a superhero movie lol.

I personally didn't like it: I think the level of violence exhibited in the movie wasn't earned. It's as if the director went out of his way to disturb his audience, instead of focusing on his story.
NASRUNA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by NASRUNA »

All I've seen are clips; still haven't gotten around to watching it. I thought the talk show segment was intriguing though.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

My feelings on Joker are kind of dissonant. It's a movie that I thought I'd really like -- based in a universe that I know, dark, thoughtful, emotional, and meaningful. But when I actually watched it I felt like it was missing something. I wasn't really able to get into it. I'm still not sure what I was looking for. I think I'll have to watch it again sometime, maybe I was just in a strange mood that day.
Peace eghe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Peace eghe »

Sometimes we should look at the other side of the story... Like in this case, we get to know what made joker who he is, and also without removing the bad guy aspect of the story.. I don't know if anyone has watched Naruto shipuuden. The author tends to give us the other side of the story of the villain. Like in the case of some characters like itachi, pain, madara and obito...

And the joker has this smile I don't really understand, his face makes it difficult for me to be able to read his motives and that kept me on the edge of my seat in the duration of the whole movie
ActiveDreamer
Currently Reading: Tears and Trombones
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by ActiveDreamer »

Oh man, "Joker" was so awesome! I remember one of my friends took me to the movies and had been wanting to watch it. I had no idea what it was going to be like, but I went anyway because I wanted to hang with her. So I went and it was the best thing ever. Afterwards, my friend and I couldn't stop smiling and we went into a long conversation about the meaning of the movie. We couldn't get over talking about how we live in a society. Joaquin Phoenix did an amazing job as the joker and it's no wonder why he won the Oscar for Best Actor as that character.

Return to “Films and Books”