Books that become movies.

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
newspeak
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by newspeak »

Joe Wright is one of my favorite directors. His adaptations of Pride and Prejudice and Atonement were absolutely beautiful. I'm also crushing hard on James McAvoy right now.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

James McAvoy is going to be a force to be reckoned with when it comes to actors. He's already a magnificent actor, and I think he's only going to get better and better. It's a mere matter of time before that guy takes home some heavy acting awards.

If you can, see The Last King of Scotland and Becoming Jane. He's brilliant in both.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

blue_diamond21

Post by blue_diamond21 »

One of my fave books is Ian Mcewans Atonement. I read it before seeing the movie and prefer it to the film but the film was still very good.
It stayed pretty exact to the story, I would def recommend it it as a good book-to-movie movie
Don't judge a book by it's cover - not always good advice
Kaabi

Post by Kaabi »

I'm excited to see the movie adaptation of the book Cell, by Stephen King. Oh, that's going to be a nice one.
Katarina

Post by Katarina »

There are few movies that are better than books or at least as good as books. Usually I discover book(s) after watching the movie and that way movie doesn't bother me. If the book is great then I have problems with enjoying the movie.

Like with "Jane Eyre" - I think I have seen 2 different miniseries of it and I didn't like neither. Maybe they will never got it right for me :)

LOTR Trilogy is great! I love the books and maybe I love the movies even more - I'm not sure. I think Jackson made the movies brilliant!!! He left out just the right parts. And the actors are awsome.

Brokeback Mountain - movie is one of my favs and so is the book. I watched the movie first and I loved it so I bought the book. Story is too short, thats for sure :P Again actors are great!

A Walk to Remember movie was far more better than the book. Book was just to innocent....
I'm pretty sure they will mess up Twilight.
Abagayle

Post by Abagayle »

Please keep this updated with how Memory Keeper's Daughter turns out... I'm curious.

Pride and Prejudice was FABULOUS thanks to Joe Wright, he also directed Atonment straight out of the book and beautifully so. I trust him with books. LOTR wasn't bad, but you know, I just watched Timeline last night and was terribly dissapointed, it was a great book, good idea plot-wise.

Directors seem to forget the most important parts of books...

I refuse to watch American Psycho, the book was so symbolic, a movie can't understand what Ellis was trying to say like our own little screens running in our minds...

Do you ever feel intensely protective of books, as in you don't ever want nasty scummy Hollywood to get her claws on your favorite read? If they ever make a movie out of the Time Traveler's Wife or my guilty pleasure Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (its a kids' book), or, oh god, the Fermata, I think I'll lead a protest.
Abagayle

Post by Abagayle »

Kaabi wrote:I'm excited to see the movie adaptation of the book Cell, by Stephen King. Oh, that's going to be a nice one.
I hope they don't ruin Cell. Let M. Night Shyamalan and Stephen King get together... The Happening was somewhat along the lines of Cell.
melgrif24

Post by melgrif24 »

I would like to know about Memory Keeper's Daughter too
newspeak

Post by newspeak »

Katarina wrote:A Walk to Remember movie was far more better than the book. Book was just to innocent.... I'm pretty sure they will mess up Twilight.
I feel the same way about the Notebook. Sparks' male characters are just too wimpy. At least Ryan Gossling added some cajones to the character.
Katarina

Post by Katarina »

newspeak wrote: I feel the same way about the Notebook. Sparks' male characters are just too wimpy. At least Ryan Gossling added some cajones to the character.
I haven't read the book. Now I'm not sure do I even want to. I bought A walk to Remeber and The Rescue just because the AWR movie is great and I was kinda disappointed - I hoped something more from those books.
blue_doona32

Post by blue_doona32 »

There are few instances where I can't say that the book was better than the movie. Only 2 so far that I know of and those are

The Devil Wears Prada- only because the director toned down the characters' potent natures and smoothed out the harsh places of the novel. I liked the book, but I think the movie was a little more relatable.

Bridge to Terabithia- this one because the book was too short for me, and even though I had a good sense of the imaginary creatures and places the author gives, I have to admit it was better seeing it on the silver screen. I think it was much more touching and personal between Jess and Leslie in the movie; something I didn't really feel in the book.

I do like to watch movies-from-books, though and if I see a movie that I liked and was based on a book, I tend to go out and read it to compare. The movies hardly ever seem to measure up for some reason, though :? haha
the difference between the right word and the almost right is really a large matter. It is the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning ~Mark Twain
JirafaBo

Post by JirafaBo »

Went to see Hancock this past weekend and saw a preview for Blindness. It actually mentions the book in the preview, and the movie looks like a great story, so I was excited to go buy the book and rushed through a book I was already reading so that I could begin this one.

Only 50 pages in, but it's a good read so far...
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

Shawshank Redemption.
JenR
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenr.html
Reading Device: B00MYH64IO

Post by JenR »

Movie adaptations have really improved. I really like where SyFy is going and making a mini-series instead. With a mini-series so much more of the original story is saved! I'm looking forward to their telling of Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clark, its one of my all-time favorite books.
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

JenR wrote:Movie adaptations have really improved. I really like where SyFy is going and making a mini-series instead. With a mini-series so much more of the original story is saved! I'm looking forward to their telling of Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clark, its one of my all-time favorite books.

Just remember, SyFy are the entertainment geniuses who came up with "Sharknado" :roll:

Return to “Films and Books”