What book would you like to see made into a movie?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
tonya10057
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: honest illusions
Currently Reading: The next always
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 3258

What book would you like to see made into a movie?

Post by tonya10057 »

What book would you like to see made into a movie/.and why?I would love to see honest illusions by Nora Roberts made into a movie because that's my all time favorite book.
alwaysreading09
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysreading09.html
Latest Review: "3 Days of Demons" by Ed Greenberg

Post by alwaysreading09 »

I would love to see any of the Hollows Series, House of Night would be great, Probably the immortal instruments as well... however I dont like that the actors they choose never look like the people in my head which messes things up for me. I was SOOO mad with Twilight movies because Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart are NOT MY edward and bella I always pictured. They did eventually grow on me but I still liked mine better.
Latest Review: "3 Days of Demons" by Ed Greenberg
michellezo

Post by michellezo »

I would love to The Night Circus made into a movie, the book is so written with such great imagery, I would love to see it done correctly. I would also like to see the Kane Chronicles or Mortal Instruments made into a movie, of course any od them need to be treated properly to avoid massacring the adaptations.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

michellezo wrote:I would love to The Night Circus made into a movie, the book is so written with such great imagery, I would love to see it done correctly. I would also like to see the Kane Chronicles or Mortal Instruments made into a movie, of course any od them need to be treated properly to avoid massacring the adaptations.
Hi Michellezo, got to agree with you about "The Night Circus". If done properly with the right crew and actors it would make a brilliant movie. Love the book. :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
cobooboc

Post by cobooboc »

I like to watch "Gone with the Wind," I like the actor and actress.
kg211970
Favorite Author: Tara Hyland
Favorite Book: Daughters of Fortune
Currently Reading: Black Jewels Trilogy
fav_author_id: 3001

Post by kg211970 »

i would love to see Tad Williams Memory Sorrow & Thorn Trilogy become a movie, because I think it will be huge, it's in the realm of the lord of the rings, but much better, I really hope they make a movie from these books, i'm just finishing the 3rd and final book , and so far the all of them have been totally amazing........ definately would recommend others to read this trilogy....... maybe someday it will become a movie...........
Sonia Galloway

Post by Sonia Galloway »

Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series (time travel)
MysFan

Post by MysFan »

More of Agatha Christie. Not so much for the big screen, but for Masterpiece Theatre. David Suchet is great as Poirot, and I can't believe they are unable to find a sweet looking, but deadly clever little old lady anywhere in the country!!! Plus Tommy and Tuppence are also very entertaining.

Until I saw the recent movie, I was thinking that Janet Evanovich's work would be great on the screen. The books are hilarious. But the movie was terrible.

The BBC made one production of Anne Perry's work, The Cater Street Hangman, but I have not seen any others. It seemed pretty popular adn got good reviews. I heard that the BBC was talking with Anne Perry to see if she would authorize them to use more of her stories. Don't know what happened. Perhaps Ms. Perry did not like this production.

There used to be a series about Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden (I think it was called the Dresden files) that came out of Canada (again I think that was where it was produced). Probably a bit before its time, but the whole idea of sorcerers is very popular now. And imagine what computer animation could add to the stories.

And one more (as there are probably 100's that we would like to see made into movies), Simon Green's stories about the Nightside would be great!!!! It would be a snap today, with all the innovative makeup techniques, to create some of the many strange and interesting characters. And it would have that sort of old mystery detective vibe, with the addition of all the new bangs and whistles.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt

Post by Bighuey »

It seems I posted this on another thread, but one I would like to see made into a movie is William Hope Hodgsons House on the Borderland. If it was done right it would be a good one. Its about an old man who it transported into the future and into different dimensions.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
MysFan

Post by MysFan »

Bighuey - I have not read it, but it sounds interesting. And it seems that the story would be very popular today, if done right.

When author's sell the movie rights to a studio, unless the right to approve the screenplay goes into the contract, there is little an author can do but hope the film makers get their story, or even care. And there are probably no more arrogant people than producers and directors. (Except maybe bankers, but that is for another forum!!) So naturally they feel they can always get it right.

These studios offer the writers lots of money for the rights and the author would have to be independently wealthy to turn them down. And even then they may want to see their work on the big screen.

Disappointment occurs on both sides. A good example is Gone With the Wind. Everyone disagreed about everything. Selznick tested many women, including some big Hollywood stars, before he found the perfect Scarlett. That cost the studio a fortune. And I think I read somewhere that Clark Gable thought this role would be box-office poison for him!!! And then there is the disappointment suffered by Margaret Mitchell. This may be one of the biggest book to movie controversies, but cerainly not the only one.

I loved the movie and the book. There is no way the book's description could compete with the visual. But as quite a few people my age say, "they just don't make them like they used to."
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt

Post by Bighuey »

@ MysFan, Borderland would make a great movie. It was written in the 1890's but was described as a jump from the old gothic horror story to a more modern sci-fi theme. Its eerie and other-worldly and stays with you. A lot of Hodgson's stories had a more modern theme.

I agree with Gone with the Wind, both the movie and book were great.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Bighuey wrote:@ MysFan, Borderland would make a great movie. It was written in the 1890's but was described as a jump from the old gothic horror story to a more modern sci-fi theme. Its eerie and other-worldly and stays with you. A lot of Hodgson's stories had a more modern theme.

I agree with Gone with the Wind, both the movie and book were great.
I've never actually read the book but of course, many a wet Sunday was spent watching the movie. Might just add the book to the TBR :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
clintessential

Post by clintessential »

Where Men Find Glory by Jon Krakauer
The book is a thorough examination of Pat Tillman's life as an Army Ranger, his death by friendly fire, and the
events subsequent to his death, which were marked by the Army's attempt to cover up the circumstances of his death.
I've read the book four times. My original interest was essentially forensic. I wanted to know not only how he was killed,
but the forensic evidence used to reach that conclusion. But the book is more than forensics. The book is an unvarnished look at the entire Tillman phenomenon. What occurs to Krakauer while he's doing his research for the book
is that practically everyone and everything involved used Tillman's life/death for personal gain. ESPN,
ASU, The Army, Rumsfeld, McCrystal, the media, Arizona politicians, antiwar groups, even a retired four star army
general used his celebrity to advance their agenda. I think the book could make an excellent movie. But not if it's
a continuation of the fiction presented by the media

-- 23 Sep 2012, 10:00 --

What you say about selling off the movie rights to a book certainly seems to be the case.Authors who do
this are rarely happy with the movie generated by their book(s). " The one who comes to my mind is Ken Kesey, who sold the screen
rights to "Cuckoo's Nest," and "Sometimes A Great Notion." I'm a fan of his writing. I've heard him speak 5 or 6 times.
But after the last talk, I decided Ken(RIP) had worn out his welcome. All of his talks(at least the ones I heard) were
really just opportunities to register his dissatisfaction with the filmakers abuse of his" artistic intent". The last time I heard Kesey speak, he was wearing a milkman's uniform(an all-white affair, worn by American milkmen in the 50's when milk was actually delivered to
the customers doorstep). His introduction was "I'm Ken Kesey, and I'm a dairy farmer"(which
was true. He had a dairy business in Springfield, Oregon for over 40 years). The dairy farmer
veneer quickly dissolved into a pedagogue railling against the excesses of Mike and Kirk Douglas, who he had sold "Cuckoo's Nest" to.
ralfy

Post by ralfy »

Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, with del Toro directing.
MysFan

Post by MysFan »

clintessential - Yes, some authors not satisfied with the movie version of their book, for whatever reason, often go on and on about it. This seems petty as they signed the contracts. I wonder if it is more a matter of them not getting a big enough piece of the pie if the movie turns out to be a raging success!!!! Cynical; yes.

We won't ever know what some deceased authors would say about this topic. Would Agatha Christie see David Suchet's portrayal of Hercule Poirot as true to her writing or would she have a different choice? Would Raymond Chandler like any of the characters Hollywood chose to play Philip Marlowe? I read somewhere that Dashielle Hammett met Humphrey Bogart and liked him; surprised in the difference between the characters on the screen and the man in person. Thought he would be a good choice for the Maltese Falcon and that the movie was a fair representation of his work.

But it might be interesting to see what living authors think. What did James Lee Burke think of Alec Baldwin playing Dave Robechaux (sp?)? This was a good movie, but was Burke disappointed in the process to the extent that we have not seen other books by him turned into movies?

Also, why have no more movies been made by the BBC based on Anne Perry's books? (Perhaps there have been and they are just not available here; something else to check on.) Did she dislike the process, the interpretation, the choice of actors? Or maybe she simply does not need the hassle nor the money.

Since I am interested in this topic, probably will check out some of the authors' websites and articles that may have been written. If any forum members know the answers, please share.

Return to “Films and Books”