Musicals?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Musicals?

Post by Falling4Ever »

There are a lot of book to movie adaptations, but how about book or movie to musical adaptations? What are your thoughts on them?
Abhijoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhijoe.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Abhijoe »

I watched the John Carney movie "Once" and really liked it. I would highly recommend John Carney's other movies too. What are the ones you can recall watching and liking them?
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I actually don't know of any. Does Wicked count? I didn't enjoy it though :/
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Letora wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 21:09 I actually don't know of any. Does Wicked count? I didn't enjoy it though :/
It does but, from what I've heard of it, it's extremely different to what was written in Maguire's book, which was a much darker take on Oz in general.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
shakirreads12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by shakirreads12 »

The first book of the Percy Jackson series, The Lightning Thief, was turned into a musical! It's not on Broadway, but they've been traveling across N America. I haven't been able to watch, but I love listening to the album, its hilarious and fits the vibe of the series pretty well. Definitely recommend listening if it's not in your area to see the live performance.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html

Post by Letora »

shakirreads12 wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 22:26 The first book of the Percy Jackson series, The Lightning Thief, was turned into a musical! It's not on Broadway, but they've been traveling across N America. I haven't been able to watch, but I love listening to the album, its hilarious and fits the vibe of the series pretty well. Definitely recommend listening if it's not in your area to see the live performance.
Wait it was!? I had no idea! I'd love to see this!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Brandt
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandt.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Brandt »

As a musical theatre major, I can tell you I am a HUGE fan of book/movie to musical adaptations! There's Jane Eyre, The Lightning Thief (as mentioned above, plus my friend is currently in the tour of this!), Catch Me If You Can, The Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, The Color Purple, Camelot, and so many more! I could talk about this stuff forever. I think that if a story is enhanced by music/theatrical elements why not make them a musical?
Savvy914
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Savvy914 »

I think the best examples of book-to-musicals would be those of the Disney princesses. The stories are always so inspiring and reveal a beautiful life lesson. The musical aspect makes it more fun and family-friendly.
cassibear13

Post by cassibear13 »

I know that Wicked by Gregory Maguire is a book that became a musical, I personally think that the musical was a very good representation of the book and enjoyed both.

Another musical that I know was caused by a book was Hamilton, Lin-Manuel Miranda read the book Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow and then went on to write the musical. Both the book and musical are phenomenal.

I think the musical A Bronx Tale was also adapted from a book but I am not positive, it might have been adapted from a screen play. But this musical is also very interesting and the music is enjoyable.
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html

Post by rubinelli »

Les Miserables is one of my favorite musicals, and the movie adaptation of it is amazing. It has a great cast! Just to name a few, the cast includes Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Russel Crowe, and Eddie Redmayne. However, if I'm just comparing the soundtracks, the movie's performance of 'One Day More' left me feeling a little disappointed.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I honestly cannot decide if I like musicals at all or not. That being mentioned, I would love to see my favorite books turned into musicals. Where I currently live, there is a huge culture of musicals and we currently have "The Lion Kind" and "Marry Poppins" playing. Unfortunately, I am not yet comfortable with the language and I am putting off going to see them (they are not in English) until I reach a conversational level in my German.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I'm not sure about any books to musicales. I do love The Greatest Showman though - one of my favourite musicales up to now. I like the Disney animated princess films and their soundtracks too but I'm not sure this counts.
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

I love all kinds of musicals regardless of whether they came from a book or a movie. As long as they are well-written, like the songs are relatable and amazing, and the production and cast is good, then it's always a YES for me.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

rubinelli wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 20:14 Les Miserables is one of my favorite musicals, and the movie adaptation of it is amazing. It has a great cast! Just to name a few, the cast includes Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Russel Crowe, and Eddie Redmayne. However, if I'm just comparing the soundtracks, the movie's performance of 'One Day More' left me feeling a little disappointed.
I heard that was really good. I love the original story!
booksaddict

Post by booksaddict »

The music has a huge ability to deal with any topic, not only romantic one as many people believe, but also with horror & comedy & tragedy & social drama & etc., for example: The films like "Les miserable", "The west side story", the musical adaptation is such a unique one, it requires a writer has many talents to deal at the same time with the mixture of literature, drama, music, and the language of cinema. In the history of cinema, most of creative writers in this genre "Musicals" comes from the world of theatre; the theatre i think is a great school to make a good writer to the screen, especially musical films based on stories or novels & also the scripts written directly to cinema.

Return to “Films and Books”