What is the best adaptation of a book to a movie?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
atlantacollins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atlantacollins.html
Latest Review: The Grand by Dennis D. Wilson

Re: What is the best adaptation of a book to a movie?

Post by atlantacollins »

Pride and Prejudice 2005, is by far the best adaptation of a book into film. The writers of the movie followed Jane Austen's novel to a T, and the few stylistic changes that they made did not do the classic a disservice. Dario Marianelli did magnificent work with the music. Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen did a wonderful job capturing the spirit of the Elizabeth and Darcy characters. The only complaint that I have for the film is when Darcy professes his love to Elizabeth for the second time. He says "You have bewitched me body and soul, and I love. . . I love. . . I love you" and man was the delivery corny. It took the wind out of my sails in all honesty, but it is still the best film adaption of Jane Austen novels that I have seen. The actors had a genuine chemistry and it really came through in the film. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone who likes classic literature or romance.
Kevle37
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Kevle37 »

I love the adaptation The Devil Wears Prada starring Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway. The movie is based on The Devil Wears Prada book written by Lauren Weisberger. Its so good and funny! So mind refreshing.
Mariahbenson6
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 371
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariahbenson6.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mariahbenson6 »

Game of Thrones by George RR Martin is hands down the most successful book to big screen adaptation.

I would also argue the best adaptation. Yes it did leave a lot out. But, I was still happy with the end product (NOT THE LAST SEASON, but every other season).

It truly was amazing! The books transported me to a different world with many places, characters, and adventures. And so did the show. In the show they may not have the places, characters, and adventures that I had imagined from reading the books. But, none the less, they were amazing places, characters, and adventures!
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption we’re both really good adaptations.
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children was also pretty true to the original source (other than the end part)
I also think the first season of Game of Thrones was pretty accurate as well!

I also have a lot of hope for the His Dark Materials adaptation coming to HBO. It looks spot on
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Tony D Ray
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tony D Ray »

Lgs1089 wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 15:58 I'm going to have to go with The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis published in 1987. In 2002, Roger Avary wrote and directed the film with the same title, based on the original novel. Ellis pointed out that out of all of his published works adapted to film, this was by far the best rendition. I agree with Ellis, and I'm taking it a step farther by saying it was one of the best film adaptation of a book to a movie that I've seen.
Yes! I was thinking of this adaptation myself as I was reading through this thread, good call.

A few more that come to mind for me are L.A. Confidential (1997), Ben Hur (1959 version), Lawrence of Arabia (1962 - though it could be argued this isn't a strict adaptation of 7 Pillars of Wisdom) and Misery (1990).
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

One of my all time favourite movie adaptations is The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe. For me personally the entire movie was almost exactly how I imagined it while I was a kid reading the book. I have a serious love for Narnia! Haha
Melissa2979_

Post by Melissa2979_ »

The Harry Potter movies made great renditions or translations of the books into visual sceneries and brought our most loved characters to life. I really loved the books however the movies made the stories more concrete and real.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

Umm... Harry Potter? All the films. The actors growing through the series, the effects, the very incremental change in the script from the book - simply fantastic. It's probably old hat, but will never stop being a prime example of magic made real.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Most definitely Pride and Prejudice. The movie was no less than fabulous in my opinion.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Srishti Rana

Post by Srishti Rana »

According to me the movies destroy the book like there is a book called fallen by Lauren kate it is an amazing book I loved the story but when they turned it into a movie it was a disaster same goes for the book the selection it was turned into a tv series and it was horrible because they changed the nature of prince maxon in that book prince maxon was charming but they turned him into a Playboy in the series. The only book adaption I liked was Harry potter.Daniel, Emma and Rupert played their characters well . It wasn't exactly same as the book but they did pretty good job
Sugarlump54
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sugarlump54.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sugarlump54 »

Great question! Usually I am very disappointed in the movie because it doesn’t match what I visualized. The Help was a great book and I enjoyed the movie as well. I think some of the classics are good adaptations as well...such as Gone with the Wind or Jane Eyre.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

I thought the film adaptation of The Giver was a wonderful rendition of the books. It kinda combines all the books into one movie, but that makes sense as parts of the different books all happen at the same time.
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

I think for me is probably It, the 2017/2019 two-part movie based on Stephen King's book. With over a thousand pages, two different timelines and so many main characters, it's a very difficult book to adapt into a movie and I think they did a very good job. The casting was flawless! And the execution was really good, I was equally scared and intrigued watching the movie as I was reading the book.
“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Post by Imperio »

I think The Maze Runner and The Hunger Games are two recent movies that did pretty well under scrutiny. Let's be real, every movie will have differences from the book, but I was generally satisfied with these two movie adaptations.
underthe_cloudyskies
Currently Reading: The Catcher in the Rye
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-underthe-cloudyskies.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by underthe_cloudyskies »

The most accurate adaption I've ever come across is "five feet apart" after reading the book when I watched the movie it felt like the book was the script for the movie.

Return to “Films and Books”