What is the best adaptation of a book to a movie?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: What is the best adaptation of a book to a movie?

Post by Bighuey »

Another good adaptation was The Dead Zone. It was true to the book, probably one of the best of the Steven King adaptations.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
jool
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jool »

How about Stephen King's 'The Green Mile'? I loved the movie as much as I loved the book. They both made me cry. ;)
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I didnt read the book, but I really liked the movie.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
marla+duke

Post by marla+duke »

Well, that's a great question and while there are a few great adaptations out there, my vote would have to be To Kill A Mockingbird. I first came upon the movie on tv just by chance. Though I only saw a small bit of it (the last 1/4 of it), I learned it was based on the book and so ran out and bought Ms Lee's masterpiece. It's one of the very few books I reread every year.
Bookbug73

Post by Bookbug73 »

I don't know about the best adaptation of a book to a movie but I can tell you that when I first saw Twilight, I was not impressed in the least. I hadn't yet read the book and I hated the movie so I decided not to buy the book. However, a friend told me to read the book(s) first and then see the movie(s). She said it would be a whole different experience. I was a little skeptical but followed her advice anyway. She was right! After that, I loved reading the books as they came out as well as seeing the movies!
Krystie

Post by Krystie »

I liked the adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 and 2. It was like I was watching what I had in mind when I was reading the books!
Bookbug73

Post by Bookbug73 »

Krystie wrote:I liked the adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 and 2. It was like I was watching what I had in mind when I was reading the books!
I totally agree!! I wasn't even thinking of this series, which is odd because my daughters and I are always re-reading the books and watching the movies. I would have to say this is definitely the best adaptation! :)
Krystie

Post by Krystie »

Oh I love Harry Potter books and movies! I'm glad they divided the last book into 2 movies because there was no way they could show everything in one movie and make it look great.
Venusian42
Favorite Author: Poe
Favorite Book: The Gambler
Currently Reading: Sadeh
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venusian42.html

Post by Venusian42 »

Ben-Hur
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I agree about Ben-Hur. I didnt like the book at all but the movie was great.
EnjoiSkyler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjoiskyler.html

Post by EnjoiSkyler »

The movie "Fight Club" was literally almost word for word from the novel. As far as I can remember.

Skyler
MagicofBooks86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magicofbooks86.html

Post by MagicofBooks86 »

I've read tons of books and seen tons of movie adaptations and I'm kind of drawing a blank, haha!

For some reason the first thing that came to mind was Ian McEwan's "Atonement." I really thought that was so wonderfully done and I don't recall anything major being taken away.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

What Dreams May Come
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
lrossi122
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lrossi122.html

Post by lrossi122 »

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I love John Huston's adaption of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Another good adaptation was Your Cheating Heart a biopic about Hank Williams with George Hamilton. It was based on a book by Audrey Williams.

Return to “Films and Books”