What is the best adaptation of a book to a movie?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
DominikaS
Favorite Book: Picasso At The Lapin Agile
Currently Reading: Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominikas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: What is the best adaptation of a book to a movie?

Post by DominikaS »

The maze runner trilogy (even though the second book wasn't too accurate) was a really good adaptation and i think it did the books as well as the author justice.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

The eight Harry Potter movies.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

Hello! I am a newbie and trying to get familiar with some of you by starting this topic.

To start with, my favorite book with movie adaptation is Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. Why, oh why, oh why? Well, because it doesn't disappoint me when I read the book and later on watching the movie.

Yes, I miss some of the scenes from the book. An example is when Draco said goodbye to Harry on Deathly Hallows. But I think if you are a reader, you will know by heart that that particular scene happened. I think of it as one of the perks of being a reader.

Well, Jennifer Lawrence being Katniss Everdeen is just perfect for me. Add up Josh Hutcherson as Peeta and OMG, Liam Hemsworth as Gale. Now don't get me wrong, but Sam Claflin as Finnick is the icing in this pretty cake. I liked the Catching Fire better in the movie than the books. I don't know why, but the book slightly bores me.

What I am sad about is the movie adaptation of Percy Jackson. I really like Uncle Rick's work, all of them. The only thing I loved about the movie is Logan Lerman.

I will leave this here before my fangirling destroys me. Just kidding.
Stay safe! Sending hugs
x Val
Georgephilips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgephilips.html
Latest Review: Finding Jehovah by Azrael Levi

Post by Georgephilips »

Tracey Neal wrote: 30 Mar 2008, 11:11 Boy thats a really good question, ummm, lets see haha, I think "Gone With The Wind" was a pretty good adaptation...I think it followed along with Mitchell's novel quite well. I believe that came out in 1939?? Umm, I also think "Jane Eyre" and "Wuthering Heights" were good adaptations, I think the Brontë sisters would have been pleased :D Some of Jane Austen's books that are also movies are pretty good too :) I have all the movies that were derived from Austen's books...love em :wink:
Lol
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Probably "Silence of the Lambs" from the Harris novel. I recently learned that the movie "The Thirteenth Floor" was a book before it was a movie. "The Princess Bride" by S. Morgenstern or Morganstern: although I thought the book seemed a bit off. "The Black Stallion" and "The Black Stallion Returns" - Coppola's cinematography was gorgeous in some spots. "Clueless" which was based on Jane Austen's Emma. "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier - the old black and white. To name a few...
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

As a true lover of the book, I would have to say I like the way they adapted Ready Player One. Was it the same as the book? Not at all. The basic plot was similar, but they were ultimately very different. But in this case, different was good. It was almost like seeing an entirely reimagined version of the same story. We got all new puzzles and all new references. It was great!

And since it garnered enough interest to get us a Ready Player Two... I can't complain!! 11/24! Counting the days!!!
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

There are many books comes to mind..Silance of the Lambs,The shininig,Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile and A time to Kill etc.
Nikowl7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikowl7.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Nikowl7 »

I would pick "Pride and Prejudice" series by BBC. Colin Firth was exquisite portraying Mr. Darcy. On the other hand, the movie was a disaster...
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

There were quite a few, but the ones that stand out are Harry Potter and Lord of the Ring. Both the books and movies were great.
Maesondahl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maesondahl.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Maesondahl »

I think one of the best book to film adaptation was The Secret Life of Bees. I don't think there was a part that they added or took out of the movie and it was so beautifully cast and acted. As I was watching it I kept trying to find a mistake but the movie was honestly flawless.
LinetteTram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by LinetteTram »

The lords of the rings And hobbit Trilogy did a fantastic job from book to movies
Gift Olubankole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giftabbie.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Gift Olubankole »

I honestly haven't seen one.
Leigh__k
Currently Reading: His Dark Materials
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leigh-k.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by Leigh__k »

I know it does not answer the question but neflix's miniseries of Dash and lily's book of dares was a great because they tried to bring out every detail of the book which made it fun to watch
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

From what I have experienced, it is Artemis Fowl. The book was written years ago and the movie came recently. Most of the book was correctly adopted
angelmuktar
Currently Reading: The Binding Stone
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by angelmuktar »

Personally, The Great Gatsby is a book and movie I enjoyed. Another one of my favorites would have to be Dear John by Nicholas Sparks. both the movie and book had me crying.

Return to “Films and Books”