What is the best adaptation of a book to a movie?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: What is the best adaptation of a book to a movie?

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Fellow Jane Eyre fan? It's in my top three. I did not enjoy Wuthering Heights and have not read the others by the Brontes.
TrisNook
Favorite Author: JK Rowling
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and Order of The Phoenix (Harry Potter #5)
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by TrisNook »

I would have to say Pride and Prejudice (The British like 6 hour one not the re-done one with Kira Knightly because just NO for that one.) because it was literally almost word for word from the book and then also the Hunger Games because they captured a lot of the essence of the book on the screen and it was the first movie from book adaptation that really wowed me and caught my heart. Kudos for that.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

TrisNook wrote:I would have to say Pride and Prejudice (The British like 6 hour one not the re-done one with Kira Knightly because just NO for that one.) because it was literally almost word for word from the book and then also the Hunger Games because they captured a lot of the essence of the book on the screen and it was the first movie from book adaptation that really wowed me and caught my heart. Kudos for that.
I agree. 'The Hunger Games' is a great film and a great adaptation :)

-- 04 Sep 2015, 01:11 --

David Lean's version of 'Great Expectations' starring John Mills is one of my favourites.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

TrisNook wrote:I would have to say Pride and Prejudice (The British like 6 hour one not the re-done one with Kira Knightly because just NO for that one.) because it was literally almost word for word from the book and then also the Hunger Games because they captured a lot of the essence of the book on the screen and it was the first movie from book adaptation that really wowed me and caught my heart. Kudos for that.
Ooh, another fellow lover of the P&P miniseries edition!! Woo hoo!

(Haven't read or seen Hunger Games.)
Jebrower
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jebrower »

One of the best movie adaptations from books, in my opinion, has been "The Time Machine." To me, both movie adaptations really capture the idea of the book and apply it into a motion picture with near perfection.
rosemarieshort
Currently Reading: Vanity Fair
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemarieshort.html

Post by rosemarieshort »

I agree with a couple of others. I really felt To Kill a Mockingbird's Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch was extraordinary.

Best adaptation for me off the top of my head is probably the Jennifer Ehle / Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice - the gentle respect, friendship and intimacy which is very, VERY sparing implied in the book is shown a little more warmly in the adaptation (though thankfully not in typically raunchy Hollywood fashion) to just add a taste of added believability to the changing minds and feelings of the couple.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

All right! Another fan of the wonderful P&P miniseries!!
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Here I have a dilemma. While The Godfather is one of the best American movies of all time, I still find the book a little more "complete". On the other hand, both Schindler's List and The Shawshank Redemption (the two movies based on short/medium length novels) seem superior to their literary counterparts.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

I agree with The Green Mile .... there are so many excellent choices, as well as so many that did poorly. Stephen King novels are so intricate that I have to give props there.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I loved the Harry Potter movies and also (way different) but Fault in Our Stars.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I really enjoyed "Seabiscuit" by Laura Hillenbrand. When I saw the movie, it was just as good. Both were excellent.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I loved The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Obviously, some of the book was left out, but I do think it was very well done and true to the story. However, it went downhill from there. I am not a fan of The Hobbit movies.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

The perfect book-to-movie adaptation was Holes. It followed the book completely, and didn’t lose anything for it.

Worst, in my opinion, was three torurous movies from The Hobbit. I just had to stop watching.
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

I agree with those that mentioned Gone with the Wind. Also, I would add Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. The movie gives the same feeling as the book without being word for word.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I was pretty impressed with the Harry Potter movies, the first two especially. Not sure if it's the best, but the movie of Catching Fire from the Hunger Games trilogy was a very good adaptation, in my opinion. It expanded on some things that seemed glossed over in the book (like the entire process of Katniss and Peetah planning their public image) and really kept to the story well.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Return to “Films and Books”