What is the best adaptation of a book to a movie?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Shaina
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaina.html

Re: What is the best adaptation of a book to a movie?

Post by Shaina »

I would have to say the Green Mile and Holes are some of my favorite adaptations!
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

I think most of movies based on Jane Austen's books turned out well. For me most movies never live up to the book they are based on. Some movies absolutely butcher the storyline. One of my favorite books is The Host by Stephanie Meyer. The movie was HORRIBLE!!! If I had watched that movie first I would have never read the book. I think a lot of times they cut parts that are vital to the story just to keep the movie a shorter length. I would rather sit through a longer movie than to have it butchered.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Ooh, yeah... the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice was absolutely wonderful.
Dave
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Dave »

Someone posted about favorite Joseph Conrad books in the authors forum & I answered with The Duel. It was an excellent book & incidentally it was made into an excellent movie, with Keith Caradine & Harvey Keitel. The movie followed the book very closely, which many times doesn't happen...
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Ooh, yeah... the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice was absolutely wonderful.
That reminds me: the BBC adaptation of 'P&P' is absolutely wonderful. It stars Colin Firth as Mr Darcy and Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth. You must check it out :D
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Oh, I'm sorry, Ryan--that's actually the one I was referring to! And you're right--I really love it! I could sit and watch it all the time. Great cast, great script from the original book, great background music, great costuming, great everything!!
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Oh, I'm sorry, Ryan--that's actually the one I was referring to! And you're right--I really love it! I could sit and watch it all the time. Great cast, great script from the original book, great background music, great costuming, great everything!!
Completely agree. Absolutely wonderful! Every time I decide to watch one episode, I end up whizzing through them all. I can easily lose (or gain) a small portion of my day watching them without even realizing it :D
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Oh, yes. And when that theater version came out shortly thereafter, with Donald Sutherland and Kiera Knightley, it was such a disappointment, like the horrid remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. If it ain't broke, why fix it? Me too, though; I could watch it endlessly.
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Oh, yes. And when that theater version came out shortly thereafter, with Donald Sutherland and Kiera Knightley, it was such a disappointment, like the horrid remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. If it ain't broke, why fix it? Me too, though; I could watch it endlessly.
Yes, yes, yes! Both were terrible. They completely removed the contextual significance of Austen's novel simply to make into a sloppy, one-dimensional romance. And as for the 'Charlie' remake ... I am lost for words :roll:
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

:handgestures-thumbup: Word. I was mad. The local reviewer gave the Kiera Knightley/Donald Sutherland film a rave review, even saying that if you liked the miniseries version, then you'd like this new movie version. I was mad! :evil:

And Johnny Depp as Mr. Wonka? Puh-leeze. He'd have been much better cast as the Oompah-Loompahs. I only saw small clips of that remake, and I knew it was worthless; even if they had cast it differently, the script was downright awful. Poor Mr. Dahl.

Speaking of fine miniseries that are based on books, I used to always watch the aforementioned Pride and Prejudice one, The Stand by Stephen King, and The Thorn Birds. Three fabulous miniseries based on books! I haven't seen any of them in a long time, but I loved them.

-- September 2nd, 2015, 10:08 pm --

Oops! I said I was mad twice. Well, I really was! :o
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

zeldas_lullaby wrote::handgestures-thumbup: Word. I was mad. The local reviewer gave the Kiera Knightley/Donald Sutherland film a rave review, even saying that if you liked the miniseries version, then you'd like this new movie version. I was mad! :evil:

And Johnny Depp as Mr. Wonka? Puh-leeze. He'd have been much better cast as the Oompah-Loompahs. I only saw small clips of that remake, and I knew it was worthless; even if they had cast it differently, the script was downright awful. Poor Mr. Dahl.

Speaking of fine miniseries that are based on books, I used to always watch the aforementioned Pride and Prejudice one, The Stand by Stephen King, and The Thorn Birds. Three fabulous miniseries based on books! I haven't seen any of them in a long time, but I loved them.

-- September 2nd, 2015, 10:08 pm --

Oops! I said I was mad twice. Well, I really was! :o
I haven't seen the other two, but my mother was (and possibly still is) fond of 'The Thorn Birds'. And I heard good things about the King series :)
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Ooh, you know, I thought of another one--there's a Jane Eyre miniseries that I really like. I don't know, though, who was in it; and it wasn't perfect--the script in part 2 kinda fell apart. The actors were really cute, though, which is a problem, of course, since Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester are supposed to be unattractive. That really never translates well to television, though! :o
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Ooh, you know, I thought of another one--there's a Jane Eyre miniseries that I really like. I don't know, though, who was in it; and it wasn't perfect--the script in part 2 kinda fell apart. The actors were really cute, though, which is a problem, of course, since Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester are supposed to be unattractive. That really never translates well to television, though! :o
Was it the BBC adaptation? It doesn't sound like it because the actors playing Jane and Rochester wouldn't generally be considered cute. Again, however, that's a good adaptation and worth checking out. The BBC also did a great adaptation of 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall' by Anne Bronte. Have you read that one?
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Nope, I have not read it. Have you read Jane Eyre?
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Nope, I have not read it. Have you read Jane Eyre?
I have and I loved it. I've also read 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily and 'Agnes Grey' by Anne. I also have 'Villette' by Charlotte, but I haven't read it yet.

Return to “Films and Books”