Favorite Hitchcock film?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Favorite Hitchcock film?

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I am a huge fan of Alfred Hitchcock films and have seen over twenty of them. My favorites are Rear Window, Rebecca, and Notorious. Which of Hitchcock's films have you seen, and which ones are your favorites?
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

“Charade” is my favorite. I love Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn in this one! They have a great chemistry, with all the suspense and yet some comedy in there to balance it out. So good.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I want to say Psycho because it's the first one I saw. But Rope had me at the edge of my seat.
Elphie
Currently Reading: Toward Happier Choices
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elphie.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Elphie »

I like Psycho and Vertigo for the timeless adrenaline rush they provide for the audience.
AngelaC
Favorite Book: Why can't Johnny Just Quit?
Currently Reading: Rabbit-Proof Fence
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelac.html
Latest Review: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream by Janice S. Ellis

Post by AngelaC »

My favourite is Rear Window. I just love everything about it, especially the little narratives of the people in the apartments.

Has anyone seen Mel Brooks' High Anxiety?
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Difficult choice, but I will vote for Rear Window and Psycho. Two ground breaking movies.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
starr79
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by starr79 »

Psycho, without a doubt.
AngelaC
Favorite Book: Why can't Johnny Just Quit?
Currently Reading: Rabbit-Proof Fence
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelac.html
Latest Review: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream by Janice S. Ellis

Post by AngelaC »

What are people's thoughts on Psycho 1998? I prefer the subtly of the original, but I find remakes and adaptations of someone else's work quite interesting.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Tough choice but probably for me it's Psycho because it's the kind of psychological horror that keeps me engaged. Thiking about that, it's possible that watching that movie for the first time when I was a child had a lasting influence on my taste, more than Hitchcock's other movies.

I remember watching the first sequel years ago but it didn't leave a great impression so I never watched it again. I never watched other movies of what became a franchise with sequels, prequels and remake. A few years ago I started watching the TV show Bates Motel inspired to it but I quit after a few episodes because I found Hannibal, a TV show I was watching in the same period, much better. Now that Bates Motel is on Netflix I plan to try it again.
Sarah Eliza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-eliza.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by Sarah Eliza »

Huge fan of Hitchcock! I'd say all-time favorite would be Dial "M" for Murder. The production is absolutely superb, with an incredible performance by Ray Milland. The Lady Vanished, Strangers on a Train, and Jamaica Inn would also be at the top of my list.

I think his shows, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and Alfred Hitchcock Presents, are grossly underrated, as well as The Trouble with Harry - a rare comedy!
Shannon Ruane
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannon-ruane.html
Latest Review: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes by James M. Corkill
Reading Device: B07F2TKPFN

Post by Shannon Ruane »

NetMassimo wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 04:51 Tough choice but probably for me it's Psycho because it's the kind of psychological horror that keeps me engaged. Thiking about that, it's possible that watching that movie for the first time when I was a child had a lasting influence on my taste, more than Hitchcock's other movies.

I remember watching the first sequel years ago but it didn't leave a great impression so I never watched it again. I never watched other movies of what became a franchise with sequels, prequels and remake. A few years ago I started watching the TV show Bates Motel inspired to it but I quit after a few episodes because I found Hannibal, a TV show I was watching in the same period, much better. Now that Bates Motel is on Netflix I plan to try it again.
Hi!

I completely agree with you about the first Psycho. I only saw one sequel and it was not as engaging. I was disappointed because I normally watch/read sequels and prequels. I think if there had been more mystery in the sequel I would have liked it but the plot is too predictable. I also missed the black and white film like the original.

I find it interesting you mentioned the Hannibal TV show because I really like that series. I like the films and books too. We did not have Netflix until years later. I'm still wondering if I should watch Bates Motel or not?

Psycho was my "first horror film," and I saw it at 11 years. I saw the remake of Psycho number one and was disappointed. It was essentially the identical shot-per-shot film but in color with modern actors. The lines were exactly the same. Just more nudity. I know my parents would never have let me watch the remake as a child lol.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Shannon Ruane wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 22:27 Hi!

I completely agree with you about the first Psycho. I only saw one sequel and it was not as engaging. I was disappointed because I normally watch/read sequels and prequels. I think if there had been more mystery in the sequel I would have liked it but the plot is too predictable. I also missed the black and white film like the original.

I find it interesting you mentioned the Hannibal TV show because I really like that series. I like the films and books too. We did not have Netflix until years later. I'm still wondering if I should watch Bates Motel or not?

Psycho was my "first horror film," and I saw it at 11 years. I saw the remake of Psycho number one and was disappointed. It was essentially the identical shot-per-shot film but in color with modern actors. The lines were exactly the same. Just more nudity. I know my parents would never have let me watch the remake as a child lol.
Bates Motel has short seasons of only 10 episodes each, so watching the first to see if it's your kind of stuff isn't that time-consuming.
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Films and Books”