Movies that were better than their books

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Tami216-
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tami216.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Re: Movies that were better than their books

Post by Tami216- »

The only movie I have ever likes better than the book is A wrinkle in Time. The movie was very gripping but I couldn't really relate to the characters to the book. Maye it's just because it was written in a different era.
kileiah
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kileiah.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by kileiah »

AA1495 wrote:There's a Bollywood movie called "3 idiots" which I thought was better than it's book 5 point someone.
I've seen this movie and loved it! I didn't know it was based on a book, and now that you've said the movie is better I'm not sure if I should seek it out.
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camogirl217.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Camogirl217 »

Death Comes to Pemberly is a mini series, but it was soooo much better than the book. The book was slow and anticlimactic, but the mini series kept my attention from start to finish.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

The Horse Whisperer, I read the book after I watched the movie and it ruined it for me.
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

Ooh, I didn't know A Wrinkle in Time had a movie. I'll need to watch that at some point.

The Hunger Games is a big one for me. Other than that, LOTR is interesting in both, but I don't find them very comparable aside from the first movie. There are big changes between the two, and the same with the The Hobbit book and movie. I haven't read the Twilight Books yet, but I've been told that's potentially a case of movies ruining books. If we're including cartoons and such, than X-men is another.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
AMagnificentAmberson
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by AMagnificentAmberson »

The Ice Storm. The book was unpleasant and the characters didn't inspire empathy, but I found some moment in the film to empathize with all the characters.
gagathegreat
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gagathegreat »

I would not use the word "better", maybe "movies that improved the book is closer to the idea".
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Tami216- wrote:The only movie I have ever likes better than the book is A wrinkle in Time. The movie was very gripping but I couldn't really relate to the characters to the book. Maye it's just because it was written in a different era.
"A Wrinkle In Time" is a great movie. I couldn't get myself to finish the book as a child but enjoyed it with my own children, many years later.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I cant think any movies that were totally better, but I loved the movie scene of Chamber of Secrets against the basilisk more than what Harry did in the books. It was so exciting when he distracted the basilisk with a rock in the movie.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Megan Old
Bookshelf Size: 56

Post by Megan Old »

This question is something I couldn't have answered before. Because I, for one, read books first before I watch the movie and usually the movie disappoints me. Although I know that movies are just /adaptations/ of the books but it still had me wishing that they made it as good as the book and included important details.

But The Little Prince(2015) animated movie! It was so great! They added more into the film and it strayed away from the book but it just made the story better! And the ending!

The whole crew made sure that all the important details are included. The only differences is they made the story longer and expounded on the moral
III_Jasmine_III
Bookshelf Size: 87

Post by III_Jasmine_III »

Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 2 like OF COURSE.
~ J ~
emmaskyblue
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by emmaskyblue »

The Godfather.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

Breaking Dawn. That part which i guess everybody knows that deviates from the book and after that scene, i was like "AWESOME!"
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Mandy01
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandy01.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by Mandy01 »

For me, books are almost always better than the movie, but I believe A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks was better as a movie. It may be because I had watched the movie many times before I read the book, but for me having it in a more current time frame really made it more relatable.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Fight Club and Psycho were both disappointing reads when compared to how great the movies were. Also Twilight comes to mind. The first movie I actually kind of like, but that might just be me being a Catherine Hardwicke fan. The book on the other was almost impossible to get through after the first half was over.

Return to “Films and Books”