Newest Star Wars Films

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
allygator224
Bookshelf Size: 0

Newest Star Wars Films

Post by allygator224 »

Was anyone else disappointed with the new Star Wars films? The last jedi I felt was a total and utter let down. I do not want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn’t seen it but I am disappointed with how Luke was portrayed in the movies, how everything was sort of scattered and Kylo Wren! I feel he was unfit for that part and had such a child like attitude.. it was almost too much. I understand he was typically supposed to be the one struggling with the light and darkness inside him but him throwing temper tantrums was not the way to go. I absolutely love the entire Star Wars series and movies but the newer ones honestly weren’t what I was expecting.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I've only seen the first of the new movies, and that's because I thought the trailer was cool. I thought it was meh and didn't bother watching any of the other ones. Honestly, hearing all the raving about Force Awakens reminded me of how I've heard so many people say that when Phantom Menace came out they let their love of Star Wars cloud their judgment about the film. So when the whole Last Jedi kerfuffle happened ... Yeah, I wasn't shocked at all. History is repeating itself at this point.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Ugh, I was SO disappointed with The Last Jedi. There was so much potential there, and I am a firm believer that several characters deserved more/better. There were so many wasted opportunities with characters which would have vastly improved my enjoyment. There were also moments where one line of background would explain things (Leia had Jedi training after RotJ, and all it would have taken was for her to say, "During my training..." in order to explain THAT ONE SCENE).

I also don't buy what Kylo told Rey. I think Snoke told Kylo that on purpose (knowing it would get back to Rey) as a means for Snoke to "get to" Rey.

I absolutely love The Force Awakens and had high hopes for TLJ. Of course, I am a fan of the original three (RotJ is my favorite) and I think that had the prequel series been made under difference circumstances (editing and whatnot), they could have been as good as the original.

I'm very glad that J.J. Abrams is returning for Episode IX and I'm hoping he fixes all the... trash that happened in TLJ. I was apprehensive about his role as director for TFA because I was never a huge fan (I never avoided him but I didn't seek out his work much either), but I think he did an excellent job with TFA.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

allygator224 wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 21:12 Was anyone else disappointed with the new Star Wars films? The last jedi I felt was a total and utter let down. I do not want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn’t seen it but I am disappointed with how Luke was portrayed in the movies, how everything was sort of scattered and Kylo Wren! I feel he was unfit for that part and had such a child like attitude.. it was almost too much. I understand he was typically supposed to be the one struggling with the light and darkness inside him but him throwing temper tantrums was not the way to go. I absolutely love the entire Star Wars series and movies but the newer ones honestly weren’t what I was expecting.
Honestly, Kylo Wren and his attitude were what I loved the most. He is a character that really isn't grown up, but he has all the power of the Force at his command. The direction they went with Anakin in his trilogy, this is how he should have been played.

But overall, I'm not finding this new trilogy terribly original. They're simply taking the original trilogy and rewriting the scripts. On one hand, I give it to Disney for doing something with the franchise, for giving the fans a feast of new material, but they play it safe. You see the same thing with the Marvel Universe movies where each one feels familiar in comparison to the ones that came before. They have a formula that works and they stick to it closely instead of taking chances and going bold.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I was also very disappointed with Luke's portrayals. You can't take one of the greatest Jedis who's ever lived and make him look like a foo ready to kill his nephew. Let alone having him complaining about how he wants the Jedi to end. It was a recipe for disaster... Plus Kylo Ren is such a laughable villain. It's ridiculous.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I am a HUGE fan of Star Wars. I loved the originals. I tolerate the prequels. As for the new ones, I enjoyed The Force Awakens but have mixed feelings about The Last Jedi. I don't feel right saying I hate it, but I do agree that I don't like how Luke was portrayed, or the "new" stuff Leia was able to do (one of my friends called it her Superman moment). I know that every director has their own vision but it seems like this one went off on its own path and didn't even bother to connect to the one before it.
capricornius16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capricornius16.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by capricornius16 »

I had high hopes for the new Star Wars films but they were a bit of a letdown. Heck, I actually liked the spinoff Rogue One more.
Bazil999
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bazil999 »

The Last Jedi was even better then the Force Awakens.
Everybody seems to forget that the books that where written after the six movies are now Legend NOT Cannon. So of cause the story's going to be different.
MTP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by MTP »

In my opinion the movies that followed the 6th episode of star wars weren't as good for me, or maybe they are it's just that i miss that rustick charm that the old ones had
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

Personally I like Kylo as a villain because he's not that good of one. It's like the bratty phase of Anakin if he never completely went round the bend. Last Jedi I found rather draggy though. I didn't get bored watching Force Awakens, but there are moments of Last Jedi that just seem to go on forever.

Return to “Films and Books”