The Lord of the Rings

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

The Lord of the Rings

Post by uyky »

For me, The Lord of the Rings movie was incredible at times and terrible at other parts. What was your favorite moment of the movie and what did you dislike the most? Why?
simplegesan
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by simplegesan »

I been watched it about 5 years from now and until now still can't forget the movie.I dislike because I did not watch the part two..
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Everything with the Ents from the second is astoundingly dull. Also stay away from the extended editions they will rot your brain with useless scenes😅
Nebula2

Post by Nebula2 »

I don't remember how many times I've read The Lord of the Rings or I've seen the movies. I'm really touched by them. Always. I love Aragorn and Sam, the real heroes for me. They are the most deep and touching characters of the story.
kabanda

Post by kabanda »

:techie-reference: i liked the moment when Gandolf was fighting with magics but i disliked Smigo because of his ideas of taking the ring.
Lopermann88
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Lopermann88 »

For the most part, I think the director and creators of the movies did the story of LOTR justice (unlike the Hobbit movies, IMO, where they dragged many scenes on for too long). There was an excellent use of both narrative and action, and they developed the relationships well. The only parts that dragged a bit was towards the end of the last movie, but even that’s understandable because they wanted to tie up all the loose ends (probably for all the die hard fans out there).
NARSMITH11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NARSMITH11 »

I completely enjoyed lord of rings. I am hooked on science fiction movies. Movie had fantasy, magic, medieval period, adventure and action. There were some parts that dragged out to long but overall I thought the movie was amazing.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Lopermann88 wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 16:27 For the most part, I think the director and creators of the movies did the story of LOTR justice (unlike the Hobbit movies, IMO, where they dragged many scenes on for too long). There was an excellent use of both narrative and action, and they developed the relationships well. The only parts that dragged a bit was towards the end of the last movie, but even that’s understandable because they wanted to tie up all the loose ends (probably for all the die hard fans out there).
I agree with you Lopermann. I actually enjoyed the movies far more than the books. I did not like Tolkien's writing style at all though I do applaud his creativity with regard to the overall concept of the story.

Peter Jackson was vilified by many Tolkien purists because he changed the ending. In the books the Hobbits return to The Shire to find that it is under the control of some villain and his forces have enslaved all the Hobbits. Merry, Pippin, Sam and Frodo, with their new-found experience, organize and fight the bad guys to reclaim The Shire. After the battle of Minas Tirith any more fighting would create the most laughably anticlimactic ending in literature. Jackson was right to leave it out.

All of the movies in the series had their good and bad points, but the worst in my opinion was the enormous plot hole in Fellowship Of The Ring. In the final installment of the series, The Return Of The King, when Gandalf and Pippin are standing on the battlements of Minas Tirith at night, Gandalf tells Pippin that Pippin has met The Witch-king of Angmar before - that it was he who stabbed Frodo on Weathertop. In the same conversation Gandalf tells Pippin that no man can kill the Witch-king. OK .... if the Witch-king cannot be killed by any man why did he run away from Aragorn with the other wraiths when Aragorn came to Frodo's rescue?

I also agree with you that the ending was long and drawn out, but you know what?, I actually liked it!

I believe that the actor Sean Aston (Sam) turned in a remarkably fine performance. In fact, I would have given him the Academy Award for "Best Supporting Actor".

This might sound stupid, but I would have also given an Academy Award to whoever designed the ending credits. Those changing drawings of the scenes of the movie as a backdrop to Annie Lennox singing Into The West (Song DID win Academy Award) ... with the final drawing that of the ring itself at the close of the credits, was simply outstanding and very beautifully done!!!

To answer the OP's questions:

Best part: "I can't carry the ring, but I CAN carry you!" - Sam (In Return Of The King)

Worst part: The plot hole described above (In Fellowship Of The Ring)

/
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
cosmographist69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cosmographist69.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by cosmographist69 »

I am actually not a fan of the dry and lengthy books and am more keen on saying because I am an avid Peter Jackson fan that it is just a brilliant set of movies with acting that really tugs at your heart.
cypher123

Post by cypher123 »

I have loved this movie very well,it amazing sometimes but very terrible!!!
ebriana1112

Post by ebriana1112 »

The series of this movie is so fantastic and very good. I really like the flow of the story and the plot. Though it's not a happy ending,at least a good one.
254+kairibindichu

Post by 254+kairibindichu »

for me the highlight was when the rohirim came and rescued gondor after it was evidently clear that the orcs would take the city. can you just imagine the feeling of the people who were still alive in the city, just as they thought that there was no hope left then suddenly the rohirim arrived it was like 'the light at the end of the tunnel for them'
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

I love Gimli and Legolas always giving each other crap. I relate to Gimili way more than I care to admit. The Two Towers is my favorite of the trilogy. The worst for me is pretty much whenever Frodo is on screen. He's just such a whiny little wuss! I wish they kept to the book more. At least then he starts off amazing and we see a slower deterioration into an annoying character that lets Sam take over and become the unsung hero.
diCkysexix

Post by diCkysexix »

For a movie that was based on a novel which made it very sensitive not giving it too much chance to drift away from the original plot in the novel else it would have been faced with lots of critics I think LOTR did good, great to say the fact and it couldn't have been any better.But their attempt to making more extensions to the movie (hobbit) was a total write off.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I loved the friendship between Sam and Frodo. The scenes shared between them were mostly inspiring. However, I didn't like the extended portions of the last installment in the franchise.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

Return to “Films and Books”