Books that become movies.

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
rosalyncaar
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosalyncaar.html

Re: Books that become movies.

Post by rosalyncaar »

cbaroni78 wrote:One of my favorite books that became a movie and now a series of movies in Bridgette Jones's Diary.
I liked that they kept the feel of the book the same as in the movie. To me that's really important.
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

I prefer to read a book before watching the movie that was adapted from it. In this way I feel that I really know what is going on in the movie. Of course this only works as long as the film stays true to the book.
It is frustrating to me when I really enjoyed a book and I go with excitement to see the movie only to find out that they deviated from the author's original content so much that it's unrecognizable.
Generally speaking, I find that I rarely like a movie more than the book, although there are a few exceptions.
For instance, I enjoyed the book, The Maze Runner, but I actually liked the movie better. The book, though well written, for the most part, had several conceptualization problems for me as a reader. I remember reading it and thinking that I wished James Dashner had used a couple of test readers to give feedback before publication. It's just that some of his descriptions I could not visualize very well. It was as if at times he had lost the connection with me as a reader, though I do praise him for an extremely imaginative plot and great characters.
I doubt that I was the only one to notice this as those problems were fixed in the movie that came out.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Cherokeeboi

Post by Cherokeeboi »

I really loved the book "The Executioner's Song". When the movie came out, I enjoyed it as well. Even though movies don't contain as much detail, and sometimes things are different than in the book, I still enjoy them.
sikik

Post by sikik »

i read bush tracker book and also watched its movie which was interesting anyway
Major
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Galaxy</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Resurrection
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-major.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Major »

I seek out films that have been adapted from books as they usually have superior story lines.
'the wind of time is blowing through me and it's all relative, to me, it's all a figment of my mind, in a world that I've designed, I'm charged with cosmic energy, has the world gone mad or is it me?'
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I generally don't like watching book to movie adaptations. I just prefer reading the book and letting my own imagination take over. Movies oftentimes don't do the book justice in my opinion.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

My favorite movie adaptation of a book is The Book Thief. The movie was spectacularly done. It captured the beauty of the characters, the grim setting with a twinge of hope. I finished the book the day I saw the movie expecting the worst, but I was blown away by the film.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I love when books get adapted into movies! I like seeing other people's interpretations of stories that I have read. I always watch the movie right after I read the book, if it is available, so that the story is fresh in my mind. I get particularly excited when I learn that books I love will be adapted into films because it feeds my need for the story and the characters. Of course, waiting for its release is the worst part.
Salder
Currently Reading: Winning the war on cancer
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Salder »

The vow, alice in wonderland, romeo and juliet are sure books that became movies
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

The book series “Vampire Academy” by Richelle Mead made it into the big screen, unfortunately, it didn’t meet my expectations at all… pretty disappointing really. So glad that “Twilight” the movie is much better than the book itself.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I don''t like doing this and avoid it if I can because the movies always make me angry with the liberties they take.
Chichashi

Post by Chichashi »

Everyday by David levithan.
It was an awesome and bizarre book. Plus, one of my favorite. I didn't expected that it'll have a movie but yeah, i love it!
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I often find that the movie adaptations don't measure up, so I generally don't go in with high expectations if it's a series I like (especially a YA series). But it's so, so satisfying when they do measure up, and those movies often become some of my favorites.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

Lord of the Rings remains one of the best series I have read that was turned into equally amazing movies. Always watch the extended versions. All the portrayals were spot on and the locations could not have been more perfect.

Return to “Films and Books”