I, Robot

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Jack King
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

I, Robot

Post by Jack King »

Having only just recently found out that I, Robot was first a book by Isaac Asimov. I know the author and many fans were very unhappy with the film adaptation. Has anyone here seen the film first and then gone to the book after and enjoyed it? Or have you read the book first and then enjoyed the film?

If you liked the film and then read the book would you recommend the book to me?
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

The short answer is that the original idea had nothing to do with I, Robot, a collection of short stories loosely connected by Dr. Susan Calvin. In the process of development the story became part of the Asimov world, primarily through the concept of The Three Laws of Robotics, and how a robot may struggle with following them in certain situations.

I have not read I, Robot but I did read The Bicentennial Man. That's an Asimov short story adapted into a Robin Williams movie. While Asimov does have robots being villains occasionally, he is far more known for showing robots in a positive light, like The Bicentennial Man. Fans of Asimov may feel the I, Robot movie feels too similar to the typical evil robot stories.
Jack King
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

human reader wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 22:29 The short answer is that the original idea had nothing to do with I, Robot, a collection of short stories loosely connected by Dr. Susan Calvin. In the process of development the story became part of the Asimov world, primarily through the concept of The Three Laws of Robotics, and how a robot may struggle with following them in certain situations.

I have not read I, Robot but I did read The Bicentennial Man. That's an Asimov short story adapted into a Robin Williams movie. While Asimov does have robots being villains occasionally, he is far more known for showing robots in a positive light, like The Bicentennial Man. Fans of Asimov may feel the I, Robot movie feels too similar to the typical evil robot stories.
Interesting I didn’t realise it was a collection of short stories and had always assumed it was based on the novel as a whole. I can understand why the book fans did not like the film then!
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

Jack King 2 wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 02:23Interesting I didn’t realise it was a collection of short stories and had always assumed it was based on the novel as a whole. I can understand why the book fans did not like the film then!
It's a natural assumption. The situation is quite unusual. Of course, you can still enjoy a movie whether it adapts the original source material/themes well or not. 8)
Jack King

Post by Jack King »

human reader wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 10:19
Jack King 2 wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 02:23Interesting I didn’t realise it was a collection of short stories and had always assumed it was based on the novel as a whole. I can understand why the book fans did not like the film then!
It's a natural assumption. The situation is quite unusual. Of course, you can still enjoy a movie whether it adapts the original source material/themes well or not. 8)
That is true, thank you for the information. I think I’ll add the book to my ever growing list of things to read at some point!
Demi Gov
Currently Reading: The Wall
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-demi-gov.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Demi Gov »

I had no idea this was a book! I am so surprised to hear this was adapted from a book- I only watched the film with Will Smith in it. II think viewed it as really good because I was only exposed to that film as an early childhood memory. Maybe if I read the book I'd think otherwise but my opinion for now is that the film was pretty good.

Return to “Films and Books”