Game of Thrones - Series ending and its effects (spoilers)

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Game of Thrones - Series ending and its effects (spoilers)

Post by Nym182 »

We all know that there are many vast differences between the show and the books of the A Song Of Fire and Ice series. Some characters who remain alive in the books are killed in the show and vice versa. There are even characters who don't appear in the show or those that serve as a mash up of characters.

Obviously the ending of the TV series was very heavily critiqued. I, for one, thought that it was a pretty good ending, although admittedly with some flaws and loose ends.

For me, it makes me even more excited for the next books. Maybe the ultimate end was revealed, but we don't know how Martin is going to get us there as the vast differences in how the story has progressed and his lack of limitations such as money and trying to fit in a time slot allow him greater mobility for his imagination.

I feel like a lot of people credit their dislike for the last season to Benihoff and Weiss, saying that they dropped the ball on the last season, but I always believed that the story was setting up Dany going the way of her father and going mad (for ex, in the books the idea that one's point of view and "where one stands" can drastically shape one's opninion. Jon thinks about this when he and Ygritte talk about they have different names for the same stars, how he is considered a southerner by the freefolks, etc etc and how we all saw Dany as good and just because of our perception of her. She's one of the heroes so of course when she crucified those masters it was the right thing to do... but when you look at her in an unbiased light, her "justice" starts to look pretty bad... ) Maybe they didn't really cover that theme very much in the show, but i still think the evidence is there...

Will your feelings on how the tv series ended effect how you feel about the books? Do you feel less inclined to read them since you now know Dany goes mad and ultimately dies? Was it truly D and B's interpretation and do you trust that Martin will be able to better explain and lay out the story ( even I think a yes for that one but again, he doesn't have to deal with the same severe limitations D and B had to deal with) Are you going to be mad if Martin has a similar ending?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I feel anyway George R.R. Martin decides to make his book is going to be great. People were clamouring for a redo of the last season of the show, which I found really amusing. It seems everyone wanted a happy ending or at least they wanted the show to end how they wanted it to. I personally like how it turned out. A lot of my favourite characters died or didn't get the ending that I believe they deserved but everything seemed so fitting and I respect the writers for going their way with the plotline. Of course I'm gonna read the book. Have to.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Felicity Granger wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 13:09 I feel anyway George R.R. Martin decides to make his book is going to be great. People were clamouring for a redo of the last season of the show, which I found really amusing. It seems everyone wanted a happy ending or at least they wanted the show to end how they wanted it to. I personally like how it turned out. A lot of my favourite characters died or didn't get the ending that I believe they deserved but everything seemed so fitting and I respect the writers for going their way with the plotline. Of course I'm gonna read the book. Have to.
I agree. There were a few endings I wasn't thrilled with... Like Cersei and Jaime for instance. I really wanted Jaime's last speech to Breanne to turn out that he was saying that he can be cruel too... because he was going to kill Cersei himself for all she did. But that's just me haha. Really, I think that's the only big gripe I had with it.

Every time I see a meme about how B and W didn't try, I cringe. But not as hard as seeing the "how Game of Thrones should have ended" ones showing Dany and Jon with kids. Who really thought there was going to be a happy ending for everyone? Someone wasn't paying attention with Ramsey told Theon about happy endings :lol2:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

Tbh. In the movie I hated the way Cersei died. Such a disposable character and she gets to die in the arms of the man she loved the most? While poor Dany is killed betrayed by John Snow? Wrong.
Jordan Abio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-abio.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jordan Abio »

Most people loved the series but feel that the ending was rushed. The series was so good that the ending would have disappointed people either way. I am waiting for the final installation of books by George R R Martin to see how he brings the whole story to an end.

Return to “Films and Books”