Never Have I Ever Season 2: what are your thoughts??

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Strangeminds
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangeminds.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Never Have I Ever Season 2: what are your thoughts??

Post by Strangeminds »

Hey there!
I just finished watching the latest season of the Netflix series Never Have I Ever. I really liked the portrayal of the Indian American protagonist Devi Viswakumar in the series. It is always exciting to see more diverse stories with people of various races at their centre. Though I really liked Paxton and Ben alike, Ben seemed a much more compatible boyfriend for Devi. I also missed Devi's cousin Kamala's love story in the season. It feels like Prasant's ideas don't really corelate with those of Kamala's, though they look perfect together. I am also looking forward to seeing what happens between Devi's mom and Dr. Jackson in the next season.
These are my thoughts. What do you think??
Team Ben or Paxton??
Would love to hear from all of you.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I agree that Ben is a much better fit.

(SPOILERS FOR SEASON 2 FINALE)
For anyone who isn't done with it.

Paxton likes her, they could totally work if he wasn't so full of himself, but he still thinks she's beneath him. That look he gave his friends at the dance. All guilty and embarrassed. Like, no. Just no.

I kinda want Kamala to wind up with Devi's teacher, and I look forward to whatever happens with Nalini and Dr. Jackson. Very interesting development.

I want season 3 now. I hate speeding through the whole season and then having to wait forever!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Netta Mezel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Netta Mezel »

I'm team Paxton.
Devi is a full definition of a teenager trying to fit in and not wanting to look too desperate as well but all ger thoughts end you sounding wrong to me. For example; when she decided to have two boyfriends, I mean, how? Even tho she liked Ben more before, he seem to be too invested in Aneesa than in her and alwasy kept rubbing her mistake in her face. Paxton may have been a douche before but still wouldn't have come out of his shell if Devi didn't push him
He would have probably still be thinking he's better.
Kamala's love story is going in the wrong direction for me
She should have asked to speak privately to Prasant instead of running cause he really seems more understanding
I'm also looking forward to see a little progress with Dr Jackson and Nalini
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Netta Mezel wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 19:30 I'm team Paxton.
Devi is a full definition of a teenager trying to fit in and not wanting to look too desperate as well but all ger thoughts end you sounding wrong to me. For example; when she decided to have two boyfriends, I mean, how? Even tho she liked Ben more before, he seem to be too invested in Aneesa than in her and alwasy kept rubbing her mistake in her face. Paxton may have been a douche before but still wouldn't have come out of his shell if Devi didn't push him
He would have probably still be thinking he's better.
Kamala's love story is going in the wrong direction for me
She should have asked to speak privately to Prasant instead of running cause he really seems more understanding
I'm also looking forward to see a little progress with Dr Jackson and Nalini
I can see your point.

I don't know. I guess I just think Ben acted the way he did because he thought Devi wasn't interested. I mean, his reaction when he learned that wasn't true shows that he didn't think he had a chance.
As for Paxton...
If he could get over himself, he could be awesome. But even his sister knows he's being a ridiculously immature jerk.

I honestly think (assuming we get a third season!) that we'll see how badly Paxton is going to mess things up.

That said, I do think he will improve, and I don't know (or have much of a preference) for who she winds up with at the end. Just that, right now, Paxton is being a jerk, and Ben would be the smarter choice (atm).
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Kusumkushwah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Kusumkushwah »

I loved the show. It is very relatable for me. I am on Paxton's side.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

The first season was interesting as it was like the first web series I had seen with an Indian girl as the main character in an American lifestyle. But the second season felt like a stretch it had the same thing the love triangle between the three characters. I think what they need for their season three is another guy for Devi as she does not fit with Paxton nor Ben.
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
Bibi Farheen K
Currently Reading: Lore of Light Volume 1
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibi-farheen-k.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Bibi Farheen K »

I am Team Paxton. However, I feel that Devi will eventually go back to Ben.

As for Kamala, I think that the moment her fiance told her to 'look down, and chin up" instead of standing up for herself, she started having second thoughts. I mean, the guy is not wrong, but maybe Kamala is looking for something else in a partner. I feel like she will end up in some kind of a relationship with Devi's English teacher.

I feel a bit bad about Dr. Viswakumar and Dr. Jackson though.
Gabriela Contreras
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriela-contreras.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriela Contreras »

Team Ben, and I am ready to die on that hill.
Paxton likes her but he thinks he's doing her a favor... Just... no...
Zulaykha_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulaykha-001.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Zulaykha_001 »

I am Team Ben, Paxton is so full of himself just because girls rush over him, though Paxton acted sweet at the end and came to the dance for her. I still feel Ben might be a better option for her, if not for Fabiola and Eleanor's intervention Devi would have definitely gone for Ben, but she might break his heart in the end because she's so into Paxton
Jordan Abio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-abio.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jordan Abio »

The series is good and has an interesting perspective on the lives of teenagers. I like that the characters are so diverse and very different. Team Ben all the way.

Return to “Films and Books”