What movie didn't you initially know was a book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
redknitcapgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redknitcapgirl.html
Latest Review: The ultimate love by Sherine Anniruth

Re: What did you WATCH & then realize it was a BOOK first??

Post by redknitcapgirl »

1. Love, Rosie by Cecilia Ahern
2. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
3. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynn Jones

There's one more I couldn't remember. I remember watching the movie first and loved it. Then I found out it was a book so I bought myself a copy and loved it better. But I can't remember what it was!!
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

So much! The princess diaries, the vampire diaries, and vampire academy are just a few. I didn't realize there were actually books about these.
MilaThegoddess
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milathegoddess.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by MilaThegoddess »

The fault in our stars...
But then again, a narrative that strong had to be based on a book.
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Post by Imperio »

Sydney Lee wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 18:25 Warm Bodies. The movie and book were so different, that when I read the book, I don't think I was able to enjoy it as much as I wanted to because some things were spoiled, characters were described differently, situations happened differently, and I was just confused half the time. That's why I usually wait until I've read the book to see the movie, because once you see the movie, you can't unsee it.
I totally get what you mean, but at the same time, it's also weird to see the movie after reading the book. I did that with Pride and Prejudice (read the book first and then watched the movie) and I kept on comparing the movie to the book. It makes sense that movies have to be different from books because of time constraints but I hope I come across a movie that is exactly like its book one day. There's really no way to go about it; it's weird if you read the book first then see the movie that is different and it's weird to see the movie first and then read the book that is different.
Georgephilips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgephilips.html
Latest Review: Finding Jehovah by Azrael Levi

Post by Georgephilips »

The hat you give. I never knew it was a book at first not until I saw on amazon I was intrigued by the book's premise!
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

The Witcher and Patrick Melrose.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sydney Lee »

Imperio wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 00:34
Sydney Lee wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 18:25 Warm Bodies. The movie and book were so different, that when I read the book, I don't think I was able to enjoy it as much as I wanted to because some things were spoiled, characters were described differently, situations happened differently, and I was just confused half the time. That's why I usually wait until I've read the book to see the movie, because once you see the movie, you can't unsee it.
I totally get what you mean, but at the same time, it's also weird to see the movie after reading the book. I did that with Pride and Prejudice (read the book first and then watched the movie) and I kept on comparing the movie to the book. It makes sense that movies have to be different from books because of time constraints but I hope I come across a movie that is exactly like its book one day. There's really no way to go about it; it's weird if you read the book first then see the movie that is different and it's weird to see the movie first and then read the book that is different.
I understand how frustrating it is when a movie isn't like the book at all. There are time constraints, yes, but I also feel they change things just for the heck of it. The Hunger Games did a good job. They had time constraints with the first two movies, but they were able to split the third movie into two parts, so it gave them so much more time and it helped. I could watch the movie and follow along with the book! It was great.
Abdo Sonbol
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading: The Da Vinci Code
Bookshelf Size: 32
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by Abdo Sonbol »

When I watched "There will be blood" movie I wish it was a book , and actually this movie is taken from "Oil" The novel written by Upton Sinclair. :D
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

That would be the Bourne series. when I watched the movie, I really liked it, but reading the book made me feel like the movie was completely bastardised. the book was just so much better.
Anjali Kushwah 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjali-kushwah-1.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Anjali Kushwah 1 »

I watched the Netflix show 'The Bard of Blood' which I later realized was taken from a book.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

Gone girl and Rebecca.
Rhea_K
Currently Reading: Rising Sun
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-k_2353942.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Rhea_K »

The Lion King was not a book but was INSPIRED by Shakespeare's Hamlet... for a second my childhood felt ruined :lol:
Herlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Herlock »

ActiveDreamer wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 21:19 I recently watched the TV show on Netflix "The Letter for the King" when I realized it was based of a book by Tonke Dragt. I also found out that the movie "All the Bright Places" was a book first too! I can't wait to read them and I highly recommend watching them both! :D
I also found out that the movie "All the Bright Places" was a book first too!
Oh, you will have a big surprise with this one. I read the book first, few years ago(the first time) and then I saw the trailer on Netflix and OMG I almost threw up :))) There are some differences...big ones for me that stop me from watching the movie. I hope you will enjoy the book :D
Herlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Herlock »

Zoe Luh wrote: 13 May 2020, 20:18 How to Train Your Dragon! After watching the movie I found a book by the same name. Turns out that while they followed similar ideas and clearly the movie was based on the world the book created, the stories were different enough that I could enjoy both!
OMG THANK GOD YOU EXIST! I had no idea and I loooved the movies. Thank you, thank you, thank you
eggnog
Currently Reading: The Art of Rhetoric
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by eggnog »

Definitely "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" from Netflix. I haven't watched any movies recently, but this one... for the first 5 minutes or so, I knew it was a book. After watching it, I had to Google it to know, and voila! I was right.

Return to “Films and Books”