Batman v Superman

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Batman v Superman

Post by Wesusa »

In my opinion, Batman v Superman is a wildly misunderstood film. I'm not here to claim it's a masterpiece, as I have spent years hating it as a large comic book fan. I thought Zack Snyder had created characters that were evil and not akin to the comic books in any way. However, in the past year I have re-watched it for the first time since seeing in the theater. I think the UE does a much better job of portraying the characters and their motivations, and is able to convey the story much clearer. The story is about Superman and the media criticizing his every act, despite his wanting to just help. Batman grapples with his hatred for Superman's god-like abilities and fears if Superman is to turn against the world. Some of the more out of place moments like Flash traveling back in time are contextualized much better after the release of Justice League. It's able to show Batman at his lowest, a monster of pure rage and anger. This movie puts into context the media and the ramifications of gods descending down too Earth. What are your thoughts?
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
fridamadrid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fridamadrid.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by fridamadrid »

I think the end is ridiculous. Like, they're about to kill each other but then they stop for a coincidence, because their moms are named Martha. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

fridamadrid wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 19:22 I think the end is ridiculous. Like, they're about to kill each other but then they stop for a coincidence, because their moms are named Martha. It just doesn't make sense to me.
I think you completely misunderstood what they were meaning- and yes, I did as well when I first saw it. It's not based upon a coincidence, it is based upon Batman's realization that he has becomes the criminal who took his parent's life in that alleyway when he was a child. He is taking the life of Superman, who he has tried so hard to justify is not a human. He has become what he has sworn to destroy. It's not a coincidence, it's a shocking revelation that Batman has to accept. He still was intending to destroy him had Lois not saved him. I think it's a misunderstood scene. It could have been done better, but it's not bad.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
fridamadrid
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fridamadrid.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by fridamadrid »

Wesusa wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 17:05
fridamadrid wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 19:22 I think the end is ridiculous. Like, they're about to kill each other but then they stop for a coincidence, because their moms are named Martha. It just doesn't make sense to me.
I think you completely misunderstood what they were meaning- and yes, I did as well when I first saw it. It's not based upon a coincidence, it is based upon Batman's realization that he has becomes the criminal who took his parent's life in that alleyway when he was a child. He is taking the life of Superman, who he has tried so hard to justify is not a human. He has become what he has sworn to destroy. It's not a coincidence, it's a shocking revelation that Batman has to accept. He still was intending to destroy him had Lois not saved him. I think it's a misunderstood scene. It could have been done better, but it's not bad.
fair enough, maybe I need to give it another chance and re-watch it having what you said in mind
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

fridamadrid wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 15:33
Wesusa wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 17:05
fair enough, maybe I need to give it another chance and re-watch it having what you said in mind
Thanks for being so kind! I hope you enjoy it. I would say don't watch the theatrical, if you were to watch it, don't watch the theatrical one. It's much to convoluted. I'd say that one was pretty butchered. :)

Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

Batman all the way. I am not into superheroes but Batman holds a special place in my heart. He isn't all good and he isn't perfect. He has a dark past and everyday is fighting something. I don't know I just think he is a cool guy.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

How is this even up for debate? Comparing superman to someone who's only superpower is money?? The disrespect?😭
Jordan Abio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-abio.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jordan Abio »

The movie has some epic fight scenes. I was saddened by the death of Superman in the movie. Nonetheless, the movie explores Batman's fears about god-like superheroes and the need to defend the world against them perfectly. In the end, their principles are aligned and they all just want to protect the earth.
Comfort Ansah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort-ansah.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Comfort Ansah »

I like superman, he always saves the day. I think though comic, it teaches kids about good and evil.
David Milaham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-milaham.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by David Milaham »

I think the movie sucked. The CGI and action were good, and the characters were okay, but everything else is just absolutely terrible—very terrible.
Bradley Twesten
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-twesten.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by Bradley Twesten »

Meenahhhh wrote: 25 May 2022, 16:50 How is this even up for debate? Comparing superman to someone who's only superpower is money?? The disrespect?😭
We need a Superman now since we have a real life supervillian narcissist who's superpower is that he has money and cannot tell the truth.

Return to “Films and Books”