Book-to-movie review: Percy Jackson and the Olympians~ The Lightning Thief

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Moodykelz_10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Re: Book-to-movie review: Percy Jackson and the Olympians~ The Lightning Thief

Post by Moodykelz_10 » 25 Aug 2019, 11:18

I couldn't agree more with you, the films leave you feeling a little flat I think because the books are so much better and they really are perfectly written the films themselves are a little basic. I think even the newer books with the Roman and Greek Gods and the war they have, it could of been made into something a lot more epic.

If I am honest it had the potential to be up there with Harry Potter and it just failed. The films themselves are OK but that is at best.

Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger » 10 Sep 2019, 23:27

It's a struggle when you're a book lover who just so happens to like movies and, as a consequence, books made into movies. I actually watched the movie before reading the book and was extremely surprised that they were so different. I found the book more interesting but probably because I watched the movie first, I didn't find it to be all that bad as compared to The Sea of Monsters which was just downright horrible.

Leyla Ann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: The Adults in the Room by Jeffrey D. Mechling

Post by Leyla Ann » 28 Nov 2019, 14:23

I haven't read the book, yet the movie was disappointing in my opinion.

supraja_prasad
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 116
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by supraja_prasad » 02 Dec 2019, 08:37

apINKpanda21 wrote:
30 May 2018, 09:17
I feel you~ Even The Sea of Monsters movie adaptation was disappointing. No wonder they stopped after two installments. But I heard a fan-made film for the third book is set for this year.
Ugh, totally agreed! I had high hopes for Lightning Thief as it was Chris Colombus'. Sea of Monsters was blasphemy. And yes, the third movie was scrapped, the last I heard. But, they have gone ahead with a musical and get this, Rick Riordan approves!
Books may well be the only true magic.
~Alice Hoffman

Return to “Films and Books”