Movies/Shows Better Than the Books

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Icon Movies/Shows Better Than the Books

Post by Letora »

Has it happened to you? Was there ever a book you couldn't finish, but you decided to give it one more try when you saw it come to the screen?
There is always talk about how movies and shows never stand up to the original books, but it does happen sometimes.

The Magicians was a series that I could not read. The characters fell flat, they were unlikable and snotty. The words read like an adult magic textbook to me, and I compared it to a version of Harry Potter with all the interesting parts edited out. I couldn't understand why it had become a bestseller. When I heard there was going to be a show made out of it, I passed it by without even thinking about it. It took me two years to even attempt it, and that was only after my friends wore me down enough to try it.

The first episode was all it took to be instantly hooked. The characters I couldn't stand to read, came alive on the screen. The strange mix of personalities that never translated over in text, blended so well together. The humor and sarcasm had me laughing.

What other movies or tv series do you think were better than the books?
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Duplicate topic! Please search before opening new threads.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Films and Books”