Burnt pans

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Burnt pans

Post by HollandBlue »

What is the best way to clean a burnt baking pan? I don't want to use Brillo pads because the pan gets rusty.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

The best way to clean a burnt pan is not to burn it. :roll: You could just throw it away. I usually just clean it with a scrubby - I don't understand why a brillo pad would cause rust. Just rinse off the soap really well.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

CinWin wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 14:26 The best way to clean a burnt pan is not to burn it. :roll: You could just throw it away. I usually just clean it with a scrubby - I don't understand why a brillo pad would cause rust. Just rinse off the soap really well.
I love your first suggestion! Unfortunately it's too late for that one! I'll try using a scrubbie the next time, and I'm sure there will be a next time. Thanks for your help!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
(1466-1536)
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

You are very welcome. Oh I forgot the one I use the most... Soak in hot soapy water for a few days...or hours :) It helps loosen up the burnt stuff.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

CinWin wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 13:41 You are very welcome. Oh I forgot the one I use the most... Soak in hot soapy water for a few days...or hours :) It helps loosen up the burnt stuff.
That's what I tried and it didn't work-the stuff was really stuck on. I tried the scrubbie yesterday after burning cookies and it did help!
(1466-1536)
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

Sprinkle the pan with baking soda then spray on some vinegar. Rinse and repeat until the burnt bits are loose enough to scrub off. You can also try boiling a mixture of water and vinegar in the pan to help loosen it.
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

juliamenez wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 16:09 Sprinkle the pan with baking soda then spray on some vinegar. Rinse and repeat until the burnt bits are loose enough to scrub off. You can also try boiling a mixture of water and vinegar in the pan to help loosen it.
Thanks for your suggestion, that sounds like an interesting concoction! I'll give that a try-
(1466-1536)
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

My favorite tip for all burnt-in grime in both pots and baking pans is this: pour boiling water into it and a couple of teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda. If it's a baking tray, pop it in the oven so it heats up and the water starts to boil. If its a pot, do the same on the stove top. Boil for about five minutes. It loosens the dirt right out and it cleans much easier without the scrubbing. I hope this helps!
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

sonya01 wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 10:44 My favorite tip for all burnt-in grime in both pots and baking pans is this: pour boiling water into it and a couple of teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda. If it's a baking tray, pop it in the oven so it heats up and the water starts to boil. If its a pot, do the same on the stove top. Boil for about five minutes. It loosens the dirt right out and it cleans much easier without the scrubbing. I hope this helps!
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out next time! Anything to replace scrubbing is a plus.
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

BookReader+6 wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 10:13
juliamenez wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 16:09 Sprinkle the pan with baking soda then spray on some vinegar. Rinse and repeat until the burnt bits are loose enough to scrub off. You can also try boiling a mixture of water and vinegar in the pan to help loosen it.
Thanks for your suggestion, that sounds like an interesting concoction! I'll give that a try-
I tried the vinegar and it worked, I even forgot the baking soda! Thanks for the useful tip.
(1466-1536)
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Boil some water in burnt pan with some onion peels and leave it boiling for some minutes and then it would be easier to get rid of burnt material.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Zimall wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 06:33 Boil some water in burnt pan with some onion peels and leave it boiling for some minutes and then it would be easier to get rid of burnt material.
Thank you, that sounds interesting, I'll try that!
(1466-1536)
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

If the pan is well and truly burned then it is unfortunately ruined. I recommend investing in a good pan- cast iron is a huge plus because it is so versatile and can work on the hob and in the oven. It's really important to look up how to take care of your pan when you get it! There are lots of good and easy to follow videos on YouTube.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Res Alexis
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Res Alexis »

Where I am native,we usually use "steel wire" and a special soap called ddongolo.
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I usually prefer to use a scrubber and a good grease stripper with a burnt pan I don't know why brillo pads caused rust in your pans maybe it was the quality of the metal used to make the pan that was bad.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”