Favorite sushi suggestions

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Joanna19
Currently Reading: The Ring of Solomon
Bookshelf Size: 13

Favorite sushi suggestions

Post by Joanna19 »

I live in a land locked state without much access to seafood, but I love making sushi with my family. My current favorite sushi roll is made of marinated, cooked and sliced beef, cream cheese, imitation crab, cucumber and sriracha. Rather non-traditional, but tasty. Looking for more ideas!
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I love California sushi, it consists of California Roll Crab, nori, cucumber, and sesame seeds. I swear it is really good.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

I love eel sushi! Additionally, I am partial to anything that's covered in tempura, which is also an easy way to get people who have never tried sushi before on board with the idea.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

When I eat out I love to get whatever is recommended at the restaurant.

When I make sushi at home I pretty much always go for a California roll. I make sushi rice (adding a bit of mirin to the cooking water) and let it cool off. Then I put it on nori, add sliced imitation crab, avocado, carrot, cucumber and sometimes cream cheese, dark lettuce or sliced asparagus. I wrap the roll (to be honest I usually make 4-6 rolls depending on how many people I'm feeding) in cling film and put it in the fridge for at least an hour. I slice the roll right before serving, and top it with sriracha mayo and have soy sauce on the side. The rolls last well for about 5 days in the fridge and are great for lunch.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

I love fish in sushi, but my favorite sushi types are not actually seafood. I would label my two favorites as spam sushi (a Pacific islander specialty I got to experience at an Urbana conference) and a vegetarian sweet potato sushi. I don't believe I've ever tried beef in sushi. I'll have to keep my eye open for that!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

The California roll is always one that we order. But my all time favorite is called a yum-yum roll. I know it has lots of cream cheese, probably avocado and is fried in the tempura. It's rich, and so delicious! Also, a crunchy shrimp is always good.
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I haven't had sushi my whole life the thought of seafood is just disgusting to me since I had a bad experience with fish. I would, however, try your recipe it doesn't seem that bad.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

juliamenez wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 16:12 I love eel sushi! Additionally, I am partial to anything that's covered in tempura, which is also an easy way to get people who have never tried sushi before on board with the idea.
I second both of these suggestions! And eel has so many good benefits for you health, just like other fish.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

While I love sushi, I can never anything that hasn't been cooked already. It is fine served cold, but completely raw seafood or even seared seafood just has a texture I can't tolerate.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I love a nice crispy prawn sushi wrapped in rice and seaweed with wasabi, but then again I’m not that much of a traditional fish person, so I tend to stick to shell fish over the traditional fillet.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I love california rolls and crispy shrimp sushi. Dont really like the raw fish sushi. Never developed a taste for it.
autumnroseb
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by autumnroseb »

I always get the Blazing California Roll; it's just a bit spicy, with carrots, cucumber, and crab (I think). What really makes it is the spicy mayo-type sauce, it's delicious!
Le-nic Pretorius
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-le-nic-pretorius.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Le-nic Pretorius »

Hi! The avo or cucumber maki is amazing, I always have both. 🤣 The saltiness of the soy sauce compliments the ingredients.
Rose Tamuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-tamuno.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rose Tamuno »

Joanna19 wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 00:17 I live in a land locked state without much access to seafood, but I love making sushi with my family. My current favorite sushi roll is made of marinated, cooked and sliced beef, cream cheese, imitation crab, cucumber and sriracha. Rather non-traditional, but tasty. Looking for more ideas!
I've never eaten sushi but I hope to change that as soon as possible.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

Personally I really enjoy fresh sushi, especially tuna and salmon which are classics. But there are options for imitation of the experience if you don't have access to fresh fish that's safe to eat!
I like to mix things into a bowl of rice, sort of like a poke bowl. Tuna (canned), mayo, sweet chili, mustard, and rice with something crunchy on top for texture is a goodie.
Imitation crab with avocado and cucumber rolled in rice is also a classic sushi that doesn't require fresh fish!

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”