Strict Recipe Follower, or Experimenter?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.

What Kind of Cook Are You?

Strict Recipe Follower
12%
Experimenter
30%
Hybrid
58%

Total votes: 98

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Strict Recipe Follower, or Experimenter?

Post by Gravy »

What kind of cook are you?

Do you follow recipes to the letter, or make it up as you go along?
Or do you mix the two?

I tend to do both, but usually experiment more than I follow recipes. Even when I use a recipe, I tend to change things to suit myself. :cooking:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Both.

As I became more adept at cooking I developed a sort of intuitive feel for what I could change and how that would affect the results. Usually the first time I try a new recipe I adhere strictly to the recipe.

For example: A recipe I got online for gyro sandwiches from a You Tube chef who I trust included rosemary as one of the ingredients. The chef's intention was to duplicate the exact recipe of gyro sandwiches one would purchase from a typical street vendor. The rosemary ruined the flavor .... well, I shouldn't say "ruined" I suppose, but the result certainly did not taste like the gyros I am used to getting from restaurants and kiosks. My guests complimented the sandwiches and said they were great, but I wasn't satisfied. If I ever do them again I will certainly leave out the rosemary.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I look for recipes based on the protein that I have available. Then I try to put together whatever I already have, so I tend to omit lots of ingredients. I also alter recipes because of different food allergies. Over time, I learned what goes together and can create my own recipes now.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

Experiment all the way! I'll read a recipe and then just adapt it to what I have on hand. Most of the time we will make a recipe following along for the first go around and then every time after that we just wing it.
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

I'm definitely experimental (when I can get away with it). I think the only time I ever follow a recipe completely is if I'm baking (and miraculously have all the right ingredients) or if I'm trying to duplicate someone else's recipe. A lot of the time I don't have exactly what the recipe calls for so I do a lot of ingredient substitutions. I find this topic comes up a lot when younger generations talk about wanting old family recipes. Often my grandma didn't even have a written recipe (or measurements for that matter) for her cooking, and if she did, her methods were often different than what's written.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

As a baker, I would tell you baking recipes are meant to be followed. The chemical reactions and balance of the ingredients are what makes your final product. If you don't know what you are doing you might end up with a mess. But if you know what you are doing its ok to experiment. If it's just regular food, experiment ahead!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Ann Mattocks
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-mattocks.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ann Mattocks »

Over the years I've started doing my own thing and only looking at recipes for the measurements of wet and dry ingredients. With 4 kids and one with major texture issues, it's a must to use ingredients that are well received. I'm constantly subbing chicken for meats, leaving out peas and adding green beans and using my own combinations of seasonings.
Mishmuma1
Favorite Book: Resilience: A Workbook
Currently Reading: VieVie La Fontaine
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Mishmuma1 »

I like to experiment when cooking. Sometimes the results are amazing and other times a complete disaster. I have come up with some pretty original dishes through my experiments
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

After many years of cooking most recipes are just idea makers for me, I will adjust anything to suit what I have on hand. I pay more attention to the methods than the exact ingredients. Baking for many years was a follow the recipe exactly type deal, but after 1000 batches of cookies you just know what goes where and how it looks. Baking IS a science but once you know what is going on with each ingredient and how they interact you can fly free.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I cannot stick to a recipe - I always think that I know better! Which is fine for cooking because it's more forgiving than baking. Often when I have tried to 'improvise' with certain baking recipes things haven't quite gone as planned and I've had to bin the whole thing. When am I gonna learn? :roll2:
Allisunny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allisunny.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

Post by Allisunny »

I'm pretty new to the world of cooking since I only graduated from college recently and my tiny dorm didn't have a kitchen. When I'm making something new or intimidating, I follow the recipe word for word. Watching more experienced people cooking really helps me to learn new tricks!

Once I've gotten confident, I can get really experimental. Not everything turns out great when I do, but it's fun anyway. As a general rule, if I'm baking, I add extra vanilla. I know what I like!
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

I always end up making substitutions and revisions to recipes to incorporate ingredients that need to be used up. Recipes for fried rice, noodles, stir-fry, smoothies, and bread pudding are so easy to modify!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Both-depends on my mood!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I definitely do both. I start out with a recipe and then do a lot of experimentation on it...adding some things, deleteing others or just adding more of one ingredient that I really like. As time goes by someone elses recipe really turns into mine. :)
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
katyharkins1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by katyharkins1 »

I love recipes, especially those passed down from family member to family member. I tend to follow the recipe very closely, as I find it calming to measure and be precise. I'm also much more of a "baker" than a "cooker" -- so bake is all about precision and recipes. I like to know what I'm making is going to be just like the recipe, so I don't wing it much...

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”