Learning how to cook

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Somniate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somniate.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Learning how to cook

Post by Somniate »

What tips do you have for someone learning how to cook? From cookware you think is important for everyone to have, to ingredients everyone needs in their pantry, where does someone start? I want to get better at cooking than just noodles, but I know starting out simple is the best idea.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

A good frying pan is a must. You can make a lot of one skillet meals that are quick, easy and yummy.
A good chefs knife and a sauce pan. If you don't already have one get a Pinterest account. You can find a lot of really good recipes there and most have very detailed instructions on how to make the dish.
As for pantry ingredients besides salt & pepper, you will want (if you don't have fresh) granulated garlic, basil, oregano, onion powder, chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, red pepper flakes (if you like spice), corn starch, baking soda, real vanilla, bouillon or stock, flour, white & brown sugar and a good olive oil.
You can add to your pantry as needed for specific recipes.
Best wishes and happy cooking!
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Cooking is a process With lots of varying recipes. It all depends with all that you want to learn how to cook.
VJohnson0615
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vjohnson0615.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by VJohnson0615 »

I think the most important thing to remember is a new recipe may not turn out great the first time you cook it. I usually try something new, it turns out alright, then I make adjustments for my personal preferences the next time I make it. Totally normal!

Basics that I keep on hand are flour, sugar, rice, oatmeal, salt, pepper, garlic, and cumin. Good luck!
precious65
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by precious65 »

First and foremost, a good cooker and oven is paramount. Then you need a good food processor. please stock up on spices. Also, measurements is key, so please stock up on different sizes of measuring cups.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Two websites to visit to make your cooking "easy peasy". Put both of these websites in your computer's bookmarks. Each of these presenters have over 1000 recipes on You Tube and in my opinion are the very best cooking sites on the net. Seriously, you need go no further than these two instructors. Both are being filmed from the presenter's own kitchen, not a studio.

Two simple recipes:

Laura Vitale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQuW1dz5xzs I made these. They were great.

Chef John
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55MIeoPaBC4 I also made these and they were great too.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Zeest

Post by Zeest »

Cooking is some kind of phoebia for beginners when they just decide to get into the field but it is not that hard as one thinks. Cooking is a skill that gets better with each attempt and the main thing that matters while cooking is the recipe you follow and for that once your recipe goes well, stick to that chef whose recipe you followed. Also try making new and innovative things rather trying the same old recipes again and again.
Youtube is the biggest support system and a backbone of many restaurants and cafes running today, so before making any recipe, try searching that on youtube and try the quickest amd easiest recipe!
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

The first thing you need to ask yourself is: "What do I love to eat?" Making something you will love afterward makes cooking less of a shore. Always have on hand a good set of knives, a frying pan, and at least different sizes of pots. Maybe like 3. Also, a 9x 13 pyrex pan to bake stuff or roast it. Always keep on hand salt, pepper, sugar, flour, cinnamon, oil, and lots of garlic. I'm from Puerto Rico and I wouldn't be a good Puerto Rican if I didn't tell you to go to the spices section or Latin section (it varies in some supermarkets) and look for adobo. It's basically all the seasonings you'll ever need, mixed into one. Or complete seasoning from Badia. But adobo is best. Get as many spices as possible. Maybe you will not need it now but you'll never know. It's scary at first but once you get through the basics, it will be just like breathing.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I am also facing this problem as I only recently started cooking. However, the best way I have found is to look for the easiest recipes that need the least input to guide your baby steps.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

always be patient, if you fail in first try don't be discourage and try again until you master the recipe. Always choose the right ingredients, the right cookware.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

You'll also want to invest in at least one good knife. As you work through different ingredients, a dull knife can easily ruin the day!
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Basis things you need is a frying pan, cooking oil, a stove, some material to cook and a passion to learn it by heart.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
imjaneturner
Favorite Book: Elastic Girl
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imjaneturner.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by imjaneturner »

Metal measuring cups and spoons are better than plastic ones because there is not paint to chip off!
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I think the best way to learn how to cook is to watch the cooking shows on TV. I used to watch "Yan Can Cook" and I learned how to cook Chinese style like a pro! And it is fun!!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I recommend trying to follow some youtube tutorials or cooking with a friend who can talk you through cooking a basic dish! If you have the cash, I also recommend Hello Fresh. My brother-in-law uses it and it has helped him to feel comfortable and creative in the kitchen. They show you how the dish looks and talk you through cooking it, and are apparently very reasonable priced (at least where I live in Germany).

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you! My biggest tip would be to invest in a knife that you love. I have a £30 knife from Ikea, and I sharpen it quickly every time I use it. It is my best friend in the kitchen.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”