Broke Food.

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Broke Food.

Post by DATo »

I have never been that broke in my life, but to answer your question here are a few ideas for consideration.

1) Spaghetti with tuna. At one of the discount food stores (like Aldi or Trader Vic's or Shop n' Save) a pound of spaghetti costs about $1.00 where I live. A bottle of sauce about $2.00 and a small can of tuna can be purchased for about $.78. Total cost = about $4.00 and you can eat on it about 2 or 3 times.

2) Peanut butter sandwiches. Peanut butter is high in protein and delivers pretty good nutritional bang for the buck.

3) Eggs At the discount stores I mention above a dozen grade A Large eggs sells for about $.38 - I'm serious. The price vacillates over the course of a month from about $1.30/doz to as low as $.36/doz. I assume this is to clear the shelves for the incoming eggs. When they are low I buy 6 dozen at a time and hard boil two dozen at a go. I am doing some body building and have 4 egg whites each morning before going to the gym. So 2 dozen lasts me about a week. By the time I need more the sale is back on.

4) Oat meal - Oat meal is very nutritious and also very filling as well as quite cheap. I have a bowl of this with no flavorings like sugar or butter every morning when I get back from the gym and I don't feel hungry at all till about mid afternoon. A half cup of dry oats swells up to make a fairly large serving and there are a LOT of 1/2 cups in one of those tubular containers.

5) Rice - Rice is fairly cheap and can be made quite palatable with spices. I like mine spicy hot with several types of dry peppers (black, red, cayenne) and a spice called "Sate" and a pat of margarine.
โ€œI just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.โ€
โ€• Steven Wright
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Ramen noodles are incredibly cheap where I come from so when I am broke I buy them.
Curvyqtees702
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Curvyqtees702 »

My favorite go to broke meal is smothered potatoes and onions with garlic and black pepper. Add cheese if you're feeling fancy.
๐Ÿ˜‹
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Oatmeal, but only if it's on sale! Also, spaghetti noodles with marinara sauce. That lasts for a few meals.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

Breakfast is always good or often times we will have beans and rice or tuna salad.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

DATo wrote: โ†‘26 Aug 2018, 00:08 I have never been that broke in my life, but to answer your question here are a few ideas for consideration.

1) Spaghetti with tuna. At one of the discount food stores (like Aldi or Trader Vic's or Shop n' Save) a pound of spaghetti costs about $1.00 where I live. A bottle of sauce about $2.00 and a small can of tuna can be purchased for about $.78. Total cost = about $4.00 and you can eat on it about 2 or 3 times.

2) Peanut butter sandwiches. Peanut butter is high in protein and delivers pretty good nutritional bang for the buck.

3) Eggs At the discount stores I mention above a dozen grade A Large eggs sells for about $.38 - I'm serious. The price vacillates over the course of a month from about $1.30/doz to as low as $.36/doz. I assume this is to clear the shelves for the incoming eggs. When they are low I buy 6 dozen at a time and hard boil two dozen at a go. I am doing some body building and have 4 egg whites each morning before going to the gym. So 2 dozen lasts me about a week. By the time I need more the sale is back on.

4) Oat meal - Oat meal is very nutritious and also very filling as well as quite cheap. I have a bowl of this with no flavorings like sugar or butter every morning when I get back from the gym and I don't feel hungry at all till about mid afternoon. A half cup of dry oats swells up to make a fairly large serving and there are a LOT of 1/2 cups in one of those tubular containers.

5) Rice - Rice is fairly cheap and can be made quite palatable with spices. I like mine spicy hot with several types of dry peppers (black, red, cayenne) and a spice called "Sate" and a pat of margarine.
I always find it funny when the news talks about how expensive it is for poor people to eat "real" foods instead of everything off the dollar menus from the fast food places. Even chicken can be found cheap enough if you price it down to individual meals. The Aldis here sells boneless breasts for $1.69/lb. I'll shoot for a half pound breast in a meal, making it 85 cents...that sure beats $1 for a 1/8pound "burger: off McD's extra value menu.

For the past month or so, Aldis has been selling milk at $1.88/gal...a gallon!

I love Aldis. $1 for a bag of onions. 79 cents for a bag of carrots. I forget if the red potatoes are 2.49 or 3.49 for 5lbs...and the sad part is, their produce holds up a lot better than what I've gotten from higher end retailers around here.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I go for any type of pasta. Mac and cheese, ramen noodles, boxed spaghetti, ect. And if I don't have any pasta sauce I'll make a butter sauce out of butter, some flour, and if I have any cheese I'll throw that in there too. Some spices and it's pretty good. I also throw in an onion if I have one hanging around.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

When I was a poor college student I pretty much lived off of cereal and Kraft mac and cheese. I still like both of those lol
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

Ramen because of its versatility. Just add canned vegetables or ham if I have.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Ann Mattocks
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-mattocks.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ann Mattocks »

Spaghetti with sauce or just with butter and parmesan cheese is our go to have when money is nonexistent. We always try to keep a box of spaghetti and sauce in the cupboard as a just in case.
Joanna19
Currently Reading: The Ring of Solomon
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Joanna19 »

Mine is definitely ramen, prepared as previous posts mentioned, with an egg, and green onion. I add left over meats if I have some. Another go-to for me is canned chili. Add a fried egg and green chile for flare!
Salome Yakubu
Favorite Book: A Day in Eternity
Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Salome Yakubu »

Like taking pap and bean cake for breakfast and tuwo and okro soup for lunch and dinner.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Leftover soup! Anything and everything into the pot. One of my recent best was asparagus, broccoli, mashed potato and gravy, hamburger, fried chicken, Brussel sprouts, mushroom, celery, onion, spinach...probably some other stuff I am forgetting...I simmered it all down til everything was soft then added in some butter and half a block of cream cheese. It was downright decadent!
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

My broke food is instant noodles. More specifically ramen noodles, no matter how I want to cook when I was still in college I end up eating ramen because I can't afford real food nor ingredients
Lorixann
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorixann.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Lorixann »

Any and all forms of pasta (including ramen). You can't go wrong with pasta, and you can almost combine it with anything really...

Return to โ€œBook, Cook, and Craftsโ€