whos your inspiration when you cook?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Re: whos your inspiration when you cook?

Post by Charlaigne »

juliamenez wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 09:14 My inspiration when I cook are all the zero waste chefs out there that are able to use even the obscure parts of food in their cooking. Lately, I have been using fruit scraps to make simple syrups to use as drink mixers!
This is amazing and I would think requires a fair bit of skill. Good on you using the fruit scraps. Did they taste okay?
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

Some of the zero waste recipes turn out better than others. Simple syrups tend to do well since they are just sugar and water with fruit flavoring. I did try to make mead this past week, but it turns out my honey was pasteurized, so that didn't work out.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

My stomach...just kidding, I usually relish it when people enjoy my cooling so I try my best to make it tasty.
Rho-Ann Mae
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rho-Ann Mae »

My inspiration when I cook is my family. And my secret to make it tasty is love. Because I love my family.
Awilson531
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awilson531.html
Latest Review: Playing the Badger Game by Robert Henson

Post by Awilson531 »

My inspiration is probably my family or some tv stars if I like what they cook
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I started cooking more often once I read books written by Jillian Michaels. I just realized that you do not need lots of different ingredients to make delicious meals. Most of my meals are clean and very simple to make, with very few ingredients.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

My Mom is my inspiration. After she passed away in 2006, I put together a cookbook for my family and friends with my favorite recipes from her recipe box.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
mashawnna
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by mashawnna »

I kind of taught myself to cook. I love to experiment with ingredients and come up with new dishes. i do, however, watch a lot of Laura Vitale (sp) videos on Youtube
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

This seemed straightforward in my mind at first, Mom of course, but after a little reflection I realized just about everyone in my family were good cooks and all had an influence. At the holidays everyone brought out their specialty. Unless they were on vacation my Pa-pa made scratch biscuits every morning. My Ma-ma had a war time cake with no white flour or sugar that only came out at Christmas and an endless box of cake recipes. One aunt had her classic vegall casserole, which became my cousins special later on. Another aunt had her famous cheeseball. An uncle his cheddar corn casserole, another his signature peach cobbler. Mom was the master of fried foods and her squash and onions is something I have yet to truly get the hang of. My Dad made the fluffiest of scrambled eggs, which became my sister's knack. When I left home I was enamored of the Food network and left it on while i read, for years. My husband makes the BEST omelets and we have cooked together for large and small events all across the country. I could say any of these have been influence, but inspiration? Life is my inspiration, food beyond so many other things is what binds the human race. It effects every aspect of our cultures, economies, lifestlyes. Our health, our planet, the way we function day to day all revolves around the fact that we MUST eat. And if we must, then that is the core of inspiration, everyday, every meal to the fullest, the finest, the highest skill I can put forth, because we only get so long in this world and every moment is one to be cherished.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

My inspiration is a cross between Martha Stewart (for her precision) and Julia Child (for her constant sips of wine).
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
kaibigangbutiki
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kaibigangbutiki »

My inspiration are my family who love and eat what I cooked for them.
Ajoke-Ade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajoke-ade.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ajoke-Ade »

Colours! Am a very picky eater so I like to see a lot of colors on my plate, I heard they stimulate appetite too.
brittany_t
Favorite Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-t.html
Latest Review: Olympian Challenger by Astrid Arditi
fav_author_id: 3137

Post by brittany_t »

My inspiration when I cook, I would have to say my mom, sister's and cooking shows. Though moving away from home, I found out it was cheaper and a lot healthier to cook and bake at home. So I found myself watching a lot of cooking shows and really fell in love with the way Gordan Ramsey cooks.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

My grandmother. I learned by seeing her. :)
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Mine is my mom too! India is well- known for its spicy food. My mother on the other hand cooks mild (some might call it bland) food. But I love her cooking and wish to carry forward her legacy.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”