The FAD Diet Story!!

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Itra_4
Bookshelf Size: 0

The FAD Diet Story!!

Post by Itra_4 »

So I spent the last 5 days of 2016 on an intense water diet, subjecting myself to gruelling methods of steering clear from delectable food items or any edible material for that matter! And all this endeavour to experiment with "Anger Management", "getting in touch with your inner self", "detoxification", (secretly also wishing down a few pounds) or so-so fad titles that I cannot list out here! And the lessons I burnt...sorry learnt were far better than any of the Murphy's laws or their corollaries.

1) Depriving self of basic nutrition gets one dehydrated, haggard and sick and despite all you don't waste even half an inch of your waistline or your plump cheeks!

2) The minute you strengthen your resolve to stay devoted to your dim-witted but fancy obsession with fad diets, your business associates and acquaintances develop a taste for gluttonous delicacies and miraculously metamorphose into gourmet loving fine-diners!

3) Despite your best efforts to wriggle out of their sudden love for fine dining, you end up in a classy upscale restaurant which is celebrating its zillion years of existence and going overboard in creating the ultimate "gourmandising-experience for fine-diners"!!

4) Your craving, longing, desire and want for that one scoop of Creme Brûlée attacked ravenously by your colleague is directly proportional to the amount of water you consume. Bottoms-up each time the aroma from the traumatising dessert reaches your nose.

5) Because the internal organs are having a 5-day water diet holiday, the bottoms-upped H2O does a hoopla dance on your henle's loop sooner than you imagined and you go knocking at Heaven's door while the cleaner lady gives you the dirts for wetting her otherwise neat and dry bathroom, every 15 minutes of the day!

6) The probability of work stress diminishing while you are on a fad diet is inversely proportional to the increased frequency of your subordinate taking sick leaves.

7) The probability of several things going wrong mercilessly at the same time increases while you are at the peak of your saturation point and the thing that triggers most damage is caused at your own hands due to absence of any common sense in the heat of the moment!

8) The probability of reading about Fad Diet Failure reviews is most likely during the *** end of the torturous activity.

9) Screw Anger Management, Its a Tempest!

10) The likelihood of continuing with the torture on the fifth day is inversely proportional to the probability of the fifth day being the New Years's Eve and your friends binging and going ga ga over another successful journey around the Sun!

So here's wishing everyone a happy happy new year and please Say NO to FAD DIETS!!!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Here here! There is so much differing info out there on nutrition, it's mind boggling. But truly science evolves everyday and what we knew ten years ago no longer holds. I read an article within the past five years that told of the discovery of a previously undocumented ligament in the knee. True, it is microscopic, but this is basic human anatomy STILL being mapped. Just the subject of fasting has vastly different arguments. An all water diet? That's downright dangerous. People who practice fasting for health take days of preparation and I am pretty sure they don't try to continue an active daily routine through the fast. I tried the Mayo Clinic diet when I was younger, zero carbs, sends you into protein ketosis(?). Bodybuilders use this diet, it can damage your liver, I had no idea. So apparently when your body finally switches into protein only mode you suddenly get a surge of energy and burn fat right off you but before that you feel 'weak'. What a crock! Two weeks in, I woke up in the morning and couldn't stand up. I Crawled to the kitchen, dragged myself up the cabinet and nuked a potato. I had cleared out all the carbs from the whole house like the diet said to avoid the temptations, so glad I missed the bag of potatoes. I ate it sitting on the floor. One of the worst experiences of my life. That protein only mode they babbled about is the body's desperate attempt to keep you alive by burning off your fat reserves and eventually will eat the fat padding on your organs. Insanity!
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

That is a terrifying story! And it supports the idea of not following any fad diet to the extreme. I have found that eating low carb (at least lower than I used to) provides energy, strength and makes my clothes fit better. But I have certainly heard horror stories regarding the extreme to that- the Keto diet. I do like the idea of the Whole 30 and eating clean that I'm hearing about, as those sound much healthier and more doable. I've seen so many people lose weight on a strict plan and then gain it all back and more, when they go off that diet. It definitely has to be a "lifestyle" and I'm a big proponent of the 80/20 rule: eat that way 80% of the time and whatever you want the other 20%.
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

That's a lot of lessons you burnt sorry learned from Fad dieting. It'is just so funny the way you describe them
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Thanks for sharing! I totally agree. Fad diets get your nowhere and can actually be quite harmful.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I tried a few, and cleansing/fasting is torturous. I started up Weight Watchers and have been successfully on program for 2 years now. It's nice being able to eat what I want, just healthier versions of it.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Thanks for sharing. At least you learnt that it was a fad. Take care of your health and be happy. Your story will inspire someone for sure.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8WZlrBSFIY

for anyone interested. I really like this type of advice :D

Also, to increase my motivation to work out, I just started participating in a step bet. It's an app that lets you "bet" 40 $ that you will walk a certain amount of steps (that is calculated specifically for each participant) for 6 weeks. In the end, the people that did it split the pot. It has been lots of fun and I go running every day.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

Haha, here here!
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

Itra_4 wrote: 20 May 2018, 07:57 Bottoms-up each time the aroma from the traumatising dessert reaches your nose...

...the bottoms-upped H2O does a hoopla dance on your henle's loop sooner than you imagined and you go knocking at Heaven's door while the cleaner lady gives you the dirts for wetting her otherwise neat and dry bathroom, every 15 minutes of the day!
This made me laugh harder than I should've :lol:

FAD diets, and 'influencers' pushing unhealthy and unrealistic images (you've seen the 'diet shake' adverts too, right?) are incredibly harmful to those more vulnerable to said 'influence'.

I LOVE the message you've put across: NO MORE FAD DIETS - finally someone said it!

Love the post x

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”