Do you use plastic as food container?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Do you use plastic as food container?

Post by Snowhite189 »

I heard that using ordinary plastic as our food container is not good for our health you can get certain type of cancer, it is kinda alarming isn't it? studies have shown, so now I stop using it, so everyone you should be very cautious, how may of you are still using plastic?
What goes around comes around
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I mostly still use plastic but I have started adding more glass containers into my collections of Tupperware. Every time one of the plastic ones break I will throw it away and replace it with a glass one.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Yes, but I am planning on replacing all the plastic ones with glass or some other material.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I still have some plastic containers, but I have been trying to switch over to glass and stainless steel for health reasons.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Gmdiamzon 2
Favorite Author: Scott Hughes
Favorite Book: Devilish
Currently Reading: His to Protect
Bookshelf Size: 124
fav_author_id: 6516

Post by Gmdiamzon 2 »

Yes because here in the philippines its plastic containers are cheapest that why moms whos very practical we really used it most of the time
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I still have plastics,slowly phasing it out though.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Yes I still have plastic food containers but I only use them for fridge storage. All the research I've read says that toxins are released over 80 degreesF, so I avoid reheating or eating hot foods from plastic containers. I try not to be crazy militant about it since so many foods here in the US come packaged in plastic and most of my storage containers are packaging I reuse. I found out about this years ago because we used Nalgene bottles on hiking trips, they're a brand of hard plastic drinking containers and a friendly eco loving fellow at a campground was kind enough to inform us about the BHA BHT issues. It was a hot day and the container with our drinking water was well over 80°.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I do use plastic Tupperware containers to store my foods. I have some glass Anchor brand containers also. I'm hoping to get rid of all of my plastic containers when I start paring down my possessions for my upcoming move, and once I'm settled, I plan on getting more of the glass containers.

Yes, plastics can negatively affect our health, not to mention the ecological impact plastics have.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I still do, but only because people say you can get cancer from anything these days.
I can't avoid everything.
I heard you can't sleep with your cellphone under the pillow or anywhere near the bed.
I enjoy the ease of plastic food containers and the ease of waking up and checking my phone.
Thus, I will continue on with my life.
NoraNas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NoraNas »

I still use plastics in my dry goods store for keeping my rice,beans, flour etc. Also, for keeping food in freezer.

But I have stopped using plastic for reheating food and for making my steam pudding.

Plastics are cheap and easy to use, bottles are expensive and breaks .

What else can be used aside from plastics and bottles and I hope we won't wake one day and researchers would say bottles are not safe.??????
Des116

Post by Des116 »

Yes I do put my food in plastic containers even though I do own Pyrex bowls. My plaatic containers are just so much safer because they’re are little kids in the house and I don’t want them to break. Also back in the earlier days the Philippines used plastic bowls.
sbcal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by sbcal »

I pretty much stick to glass containers that go into the refrigerator and microwave. Dry products still are in plastic ones.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Interesting. I've never heard that before. I have plastic and glass containers.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

sbcal wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 19:36 I pretty much stick to glass containers that go into the refrigerator and microwave. Dry products still are in plastic ones.
I think this is excellent advice. I stay away from microwaving plastic but my partner does this all the time, fail.

I have 2 glass containers, 2 metal ones and about 10 plastic ones. I use them all.
Spatial Douglas 1

Post by Spatial Douglas 1 »

This is quite a timely discourse considering that this year's environmental day theme was on plastic .
Of late there have been registrations in the media of the dangers of plastic albeit the cheapness and flexibility of it still keep it in use. Until there us a cheap substitute am afraid to say plastic for food would still remain.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”