Do people still use physical, paper copy cook books?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Syson Dolph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syson-dolph.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Do people still use physical, paper copy cook books?

Post by Syson Dolph »

I have ever read a book which had content about differing recipes, but I never employed a book to aid in cooking. I look forward to using one because I would love to learn how to prepare some very delicious dishes I at-times view via television. I have had a chance to taste a number of outstanding snacks and they are a thing to die for.
Luv_2_reed-688
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luv-2-reed-688.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Luv_2_reed-688 »

I use physical cookbooks all the time. My two go-to books are Fannie Farmer’s Boston Cooking School Cookbook 10th Edition (yes, edition matters) and The Southern Living Cookbook. I do go online a lot as well, since I enjoy trying new recipes, but I hate being in the middle of a recipe and having my screen go black, and I hate having to scroll up and down with messy hands, so books are still my favorite. And dare I say that a good cookbook is more reliable than a lot of what is available online? I’ve used some online recipes that really needed work! Oh — and I do have my own loose leaf binder of favorite recipes.
naomisorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomisorge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by naomisorge »

I love the classic cookbooks in book form, such as the Joy of Cooking, but they are so expensive that I normally get all mine on Kindle daily deals or online. The benefit of cookbooks instead of food blogs is quality control...I have made so many bland-to-terrible recipes from blogs, and then turned to my cookbooks for inspiration to try to salvage them!
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

My mom has loads of those! When I ask her for recommendations, she'll always pull out a book and hand me a recipe that I can make so i technically use physical kitchen books too :) My grandma also writes down all her recipes in a notebook and I peep that one also.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Deepa09k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa09k.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Deepa09k »

I never have owned a cook book but I love the idea of it. Probably I will try to make one for my daughter with all the special family recipes.
SirLaddie
Favorite Author: Brian O'Hare
Favorite Book: Beneath the Dark Ice
Currently Reading: The Everything Creative Writing
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirladdie.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 46107

Post by SirLaddie »

Oh, My! You just hit on one of my lifelong hobbies, collecting cookbooks. I have been collecting cookbooks since grade school, and I am in my sixties. When I married my husband he had to build an in-wall bookcase just for my cookbook collection. I have cookbooks that are dated before the 1950s and yes, I also use the recipes in them.
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

I have never been really interested in cookbooks. Mostly because I'm bad at cooking (even though I can cook eggs pretty good). I'm sure people are still buying cookbooks here and there. Physical books are still relatively alive right now.
RadhaW
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RadhaW »

I have a small library of cook books and I enjoy browsing and redoing old recipes. I am also an advocate for online recipes because there are so many new perspectives and techniques that can enhance your end product. I print quite a bit and have created my own "book".
sarahlaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahlaks.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by sarahlaks »

I totally prefer to still use hard copy cookbooks! I don't have to worry about messing with the screen of my device if my hands are all dirty, and I guiltily almost enjoy seeing all the food residue on a recipe I've made a lot because it reminds me why I love that dish.
abigailbridi
Currently Reading: The Overstory
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigailbridi.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by abigailbridi »

I only have 2 physical cookbooks and I go to the internet or my imagination for the rest. I just don't have enough room in my kitchen to store all the cookbooks I would want :( If I find a recipe online that's a keeper, I print it out and put it in a 3-ring binder.
SurroundedByBooks
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surroundedbybooks.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by SurroundedByBooks »

We have loads. We got our kids the Edmonds My First Cookbook for Christmas. The kids love it and it has good simple recipes for popular dishes. It’s perfect for them and they don’t get distracted because the recipes are on a device.
“You know, for kids!”
Elwyn23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elwyn23.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Elwyn23 »

Oh my god yes, I thoroughly enjoy having actual cookbooks as opposed to internet recipes, the aesthetic of physical cookbooks is great, but I love the functionality of being able to make annotations on recipe books for later reference.
Torimarch11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Torimarch11 »

I love to look up new recipes. But its much more convenient for me on the internet. I do like looking at recipes around Christmas in Paper cookbooks. It just gets me in the spirit for the Holidays. 🎂🎂
kaylahk17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahk17.html
Latest Review: The Chamberland Maze Run by Justin A. Evans

Post by kaylahk17 »

My cookbook is Pinterest. I do not own any physical cookbooks but I want to make a personal one. Something I can put both paper recipies from my mom and electronic recipies from Pinterest. I love getting recipies online but it is easier to read without the screen going dark when it's on paper and all in one spot.
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

I still use physical paper copy cookbooks. Obviously I use Julia Child's cookbook, and I've gotten a few others from friends who live in France. But sometimes when I'm wanting to make something quick and simple that I haven't already made, I'll turn to Pinterest. I use a healthy mix of both, I think.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”