Do people still use physical, paper copy cook books?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Mithrandier
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do people still use physical, paper copy cook books?

Post by Mithrandier »

I can say in all my 14 years of life I have never once used anything but some recipes from my gram and my cookbooks.
MandyP
Favorite Book: Blood of Dreams
Currently Reading: Social Creature
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandyp.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MandyP »

I am a hoarder of cookbooks! I am also addicted to Pinterest to find new recipes but nothing beats a physical copy of a book...of any sort :) I love to look through them a lot. I received a copy of the Women's Weekly Retro cooking complete collection for Christmas, stoked!
Ibethemom

Post by Ibethemom »

You bet I do! One of my favorite holiday traditions is the gift of a cookbook every year. The family picks it with great care, possibly based on what they'd like to eat. They choose one with the history of the chef, why certain ingredients are chosen and of course there are plenty of photos.
amafie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amafie.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by amafie »

Hello! I do use written down recipes and actual cook books. My family had their own cook book made many many years ago, and being the baby of the family ( literally in every class, niece, cousin, grand, child etc.) I treasure the vital resource that it is! Some of the recipes were recipe cards copied in their own handwriting and others are just recipes that members shared from memory. There is even one that explains how to make boars-head cheese! Not something I will venture in to any time soon! But the nostalgia of making something from a hard copy is my favorite to do.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

The only recipe books I use are the Weight Watchers ones. Being on the program, it is hard to find decent recipes for it even online. Unfortunately, a lot of people post that a recipe is WW friendly just for click bait.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Ticabell2016
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ticabell2016.html
Latest Review: Kiran by Ellen Steller

Post by Ticabell2016 »

I do not use cookbooks when I make food. If I need to I will use it as a guide, and it’s usually online, however, I LOVE cook books and I would love to have a huge collection of paper book cook books.
Latest Review: Kiran by Ellen Steller
chibiparty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by chibiparty »

We use paper cookbooks here and if we like it we write it down.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I only saw those in movies and book stores. I prefer getting my recipes from the internet sites. I never understood the use of those big hardcover cookbooks.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I have one full shelf of printed cookbooks. Love them! I do sometimes get recipes from the internet, but I've found that the quality level for those recipes is highly variable. Some are great, and some are awful.
jamibozz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamibozz.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by jamibozz »

Yes! I love getting new cookbooks for special occasions as gifts. Using the internet is great but sometimes its too hard to find a recipe that you liked when you didn't save the webpage. At least with the books, you know you still have the recipe and which book to look through to find it.
Readeatrepeat1
Currently Reading: What the Dog Saw
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeatrepeat1.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Readeatrepeat1 »

Yes! I just used my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook earlier this week for my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I sometimes use physical cookbooks but I mostly use the internet to find recipes.
Muddia
Currently Reading:

Post by Muddia »

I aways loves cook books all kinds but now I use my phone if I want a recipe 😅
Middlesister4

Post by Middlesister4 »

I love my hardcopy cookbooks.
They feel substantial in my hands and are a beautiful addition to a kitchen nook. Something about flipping through a cookbook and deciding what recipe my family might get enjoy makes me feel so involved in the process. I love writing little notes in the margin if I added or changed anything and how much my family liked it so I can make it again.
Keylontic60

Post by Keylontic60 »

Hi I still prefer the hard back version of Cook Books especially those tried and favourite recipes.
My young son also uses the cook book whenever he's unsure about recipes ,hes really adapt to using
the Internet -Google but automatically reaches for the cook books above the Micro-Wave Oven.
I have an exercise book full of traditional family recipes from the old country all hand written.
Now my son has started his own 'Secret' recipe book ,writing everything into an exercise book.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”