Do people still use physical, paper copy cook books?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Re: Do people still use physical, paper copy cook books?

Post by Jude Austin »

I use them all the time. It's less work than having to dart back and forth to the computer with floury fingers ;) If I want a new recipe, I do hit the internet, though...and then copy out that recipe and add it to my cooking scrapbook ;)
writerlady1904
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writerlady1904.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by writerlady1904 »

I adore my Southern Living cookbooks and family and friends know those books I DO NOT share lol. Nothing like spending a cold, rainy day sitting at the kitchen table pouring over actual, real cookbooks. I still have not gotten very used to reading so much online.

Charlaigne wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 21:05
writerlady1904 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 21:50 I love collecting old cookbooks and have a collection of about 40 or so. My most used ones have recipes from the 1800's or later. I have a few that have exotic recipes like a southern cook book that actually tells me several ways to prepare opossum, racoons and other vermin. Needles to say, I don't cook from those, but they are fun to look through. A few years ago a public library actually sat an entire collection of old Southern Living cookbooks out by their door with a FREE sign. Husband was not happy carrying THAT box out to the car lol
Laughed at this! Mm, opossum (no never eaten it, don't intend to). Sometimes the old books are the best. I just got a stack of books for $10 via Gumtree and am wading through them. I bought them because I was only after one book, but some of the others are really good as well. Unexpected bonuses! One is a book by former First Ladies and Governers' wives and describes their favourites when entertaining. I'm in Australia by the way and am quite surprised at how I got hold of such a thing. Also, I love me some Southern Living! I have a Southern Living cookies cookbook after spending a few years in the US, and there are great recipes in it which no one around here knows about (must make some soon lol). Very envious of your haul, writer lady.

There are lots of modern, inventive and unusual recipes online but I love physical cookbooks to browse through and drool over the pictures. They inspire me to cook. I don't always enjoy the routine of cooking but a special dish is always nice.

On another note, my mother in law treasures her copy of The Complete Asian Cookbook by Charmaine Solomon. Not just because it's a really good book with tried and tested recipes and secondly, it belonged to her eldest son who used it regularly before he was killed in a freak car accident (nearly 30 years ago). It's a link to him.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I have two cookbooks. I think it's become a thing with my in-laws to give me a cookbook for Christmas. I really don't mind them, but it's remembering that I have them and actually planning a recipe from them that's difficult. I really want to go through some of the recipes as well. Another thing that makes it difficult is my husband is always jumping on these crazy diets, (we've been eating vegetarian at home and meat when we go out) and though I'm sure he wouldn't mind if we stepped away from the diets every so often, it still makes it hard to make some recipes I really want to try out. But the internet is also too easy to grab a few recipes and be good.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
zoharis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198

Post by zoharis »

I still use and prefer paper copy cookbooks. I also have a 3 inch binder full of baking recipes.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

You're not alone. We still have cookbooks at home.
Sheva75
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sheva75 »

Writer109

Im new here yes i do also use the physical cookbook and actual cookbok cause ther are more to learn sweet and saure cook witch is i like most.
jhomarcams26
Currently Reading: Mistress Suffragette
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by jhomarcams26 »

Not at all.. but it's for guiding lol
ladycatsinger
Currently Reading:

Post by ladycatsinger »

I have several paper cookbooks that I use all the time, plus I have a big binder with recipes I printed. I don't want to mess around with my tablet when I am cooking, since it can be a bit messy. I have my grandma's Betty Crocker cookbook from the 50s, but I bought a new copy so that I wouldn't have to worry about getting the pages dirty.
John18

Post by John18 »

I still use paper cookbooks, my mother collected them for years and after she died my sister and I divided them .They have a lot of recipes that my mom used and I do now especially when we have family get togethers and we do potlucks because those recipes bring back family memories of relatives that have passed on
Hollyrobb42
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollyrobb42.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hollyrobb42 »

I love using cookbooks! I do use online recipes for a few things but I find it so much easier to read out of a physical book. I like the more traditional way!
Athena612
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena612.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Athena612 »

I have a small collection of paper cookbooks. I usually check them first for recipes before turning to the internet. When I buy a new one, I tend to plan a few weeks worth of meals out of them to try as many recipes as I can. I even check them out from the library.

My book club does a few cookbook meetings a year. We choose a cookbook and then everyone makes something from that cookbook. Since we formed as an offshoot of a running club, we tend to choose healthier ones or books written by runners.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

I do still use my paper cookbooks occasionally for those special recipes. Also, considering I wrote my own cookbook, I use it a lot. However if I want something new or something quick I will go on Pinterest for the variety of options.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
LennyDots
Currently Reading: Hidden Figures
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennydots.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by LennyDots »

I have kind of a cookbook collection compulsion. I don't use them nearly as much as I should to justify the piles of them I have kicking around. There is one I've been using pretty frequently called Dinnertime Survival Guide by Sally Kuzemchak. She's got a lot of "normal" recipes from scratch. It's nothing fancy and there's no new twist on anything. She has a bacon veggie carbonara recipe in there I could eat every day, and a really good stroganoff. My most used cookbook though is a spiral notebook my mom gave me when I moved into my first apartment. She hand wrote every recipe she could think of that I liked as a kid, and a few she just had lying around. She made one for each of my siblings, too. I use it all the time, but mostly for the same four or so recipes. You'd think I'd have them memorized by now.
KaliRhea
Currently Reading: Austenland
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by KaliRhea »

I still pull out my Betty Crocker Cookbook whenever I bake certain desserts.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

Nope! I have an app that contains the recipes that I like. 😉
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”