Do people still use physical, paper copy cook books?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Oneka Quamina-Miguel
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oneka-quamina-miguel.html
Latest Review: Zeus Defied by Rez Khan

Re: Do people still use physical, paper copy cook books?

Post by Oneka Quamina-Miguel »

My mother has some timeless recipes that I remember as a child. She still relies on them even to this day to recreate the tasty perfection each time especially with pastry and desserts!
Queenyx
Currently Reading: Guidebook of How to Obtain Pureness of Heart Required to Enter Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenyx.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Post by Queenyx »

Oh, yes. I have a neighbor that has orders on orders of physical books on recipes come in every month. She really must be a reader to prefer the optical form to the eBook form of the same books
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I honestly don't. I normally use Pinterest or my own imagination when it comes to recipes.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

I have this old battered notebook where I used to write down old, reliable recipes, but nowadays, I do mainly use the internet for any info related to cooking.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

The extent to which I use this physical cookbooks have definitely reduced over the years as I’m increasingly using the internet.
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

When I was really young there were a lot of paper cooking books (some specifically for children) and the first dishes I learned to make were from these books.
Now a days I don't have any cooking book at home, I just browse the internet looking for good recipes.
Sophia Scher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-scher.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Aether by Matthew C. Woodruff

Post by Sophia Scher »

I have a large cook book collection and I use them frequently. I also tend to print recipes rather than read them from a screen.
bjoly2
Currently Reading: Never Eat Alone
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bjoly2.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by bjoly2 »

I try to strike a balance between using recipe books and online tools. What I love about cookbooks is flipping through the pictures until I see something that makes me pause and say, "I must have that." There's just something more real about finding a recipe that way over scrolling through an endless sea on Pinterest. One of my favorite cookbooks recently is Plant Power Bowls by Sapana Chandra. I am vegetarian, and bowls are a staple food item in our house. It's so fun to flip through the pages until I find the perfect option!
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

I definitely find way more recipes over Pinterest and Google than I do with any physical cookbooks. Nonetheless, I like looking at cookbooks in the public library. I've also found that cookbooks make good presents for friends and family. While I'm generally a fan of physical rather than electronic books, I make exceptions for recipes because I know I'm unlikely to cook through an entire cookbook.
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

At the moment, I do not use any cookbooks, and love browsing Pinterest and Youtube for them! However, I always seem to trust cookbooks more than what people present on the Internet. I have heard that some users fake the cooking results or give misleading recipes, which makes me want to trust cookbooks more, as more effort and time are put into the production of them.

I would definitely love a cookbook to myself, as I would make it a personal goal to make as much as I could from it. I feel that I would love to mix cooking and reading together, as they both give me so much to learn.
Last edited by Balena on 16 May 2020, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

I was given a Better Homes and Gardens New Bride cookbook when I was married that has every kind of recipe you can think of in it, and I still use it pretty often. Married ten years ago this June!
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

Oh yes, we still do. I actually happen to trust them even more.
Nildec
Currently Reading: Hidden figures young readers edition
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Nildec »

GM, new to the online book club! Browsing and learning site! I am a "Foodie," and collector of too many to count physical cookbooks! I have cookbooks that my mom had as I was growing up! Many of those traveled with me as life took me to several states! Seems every thrift store, used book stores, garage sales, I come home with cookbook treasures. I literally have cooked something from every cookbook I own. Because I had to downsize from our recent move, I am down to 2 - 4 shelved bookcases of cookbooks, and I can not even count the cooking magazines I collect! Only because I learned from my daughter, "just google it mom," I have looked for recipes when I am in a pinch! Overall, I love the old school way of using cookbooks! :cooking:
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I use both online and paper version of recipes. The ones I really like, I copy in my personal paper notebook where I write down the recipe with the changes I inevitably make to have it more to my taste: I always put less sugar in cakes, more herbs/spices, more vegetables. As a result, when cooking I have my paper recipe available.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

I'm not much of a cook, but I'm surrounded by plenty. My husband does most of the cooking around our house, especially if it's experimental, and my mother cooks a good bit. They both use a pretty even combination of hard copy books, internet recipes, and old notecards of family recipes.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”