Do people still use physical, paper copy cook books?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Rhoda 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Re: Do people still use physical, paper copy cook books?

Post by Rhoda 2 »

I mostly use internet it's cheaper and easy to go through very fast but I wont mind having a hardcopy.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

My mom does - or more correctly - she tends to buy them to one day use - but usually forgets about them as they pile up somewhere and she looks online for the recipe that she once saw in a book or magazine.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I do. I like to flip through them from time to time to find new ideas. Whenever I print out single recipes from the Internet, they tend to get lost or mixed in with other papers, and I rarely try them.
writerlady1904
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writerlady1904.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by writerlady1904 »

I love collecting old cookbooks and have a collection of about 40 or so. My most used ones have recipes from the 1800's or later. I have a few that have exotic recipes like a southern cook book that actually tells me several ways to prepare opossum, racoons and other vermin. Needles to say, I don't cook from those, but they are fun to look through. A few years ago a public library actually sat an entire collection of old Southern Living cookbooks out by their door with a FREE sign. Husband was not happy carrying THAT box out to the car lol
Mariah J
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mariah J »

hardcopy is a must but i mostly use internet,it's easier and quick to use hence some has procedures
eezus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by eezus »

Still own cookbooks! I use Internet too for something quick to cook on that day. Cookbooks are so pretty to look at!
zandri
Currently Reading: The Adventure of Smelly Sock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zandri.html
Latest Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Post by zandri »

I still have a few trusted recipe books at home and a few recipes that guard with my life as they were mostly passed down to me from my grandmother.
But if I want to make something quickly, I am more likely to reach for my phone than a physical book
zandri
Currently Reading: The Adventure of Smelly Sock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zandri.html
Latest Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Post by zandri »

I still have a few trusted recipe books at home and a few recipes that guard with my life as they were mostly passed down to me from my grandmother.
But if I want to make something quickly, I am more likely to reach for my phone than a physical book
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

It depends on what the recipe is for me. I prefer physical cookbooks for older recipes, e.g. family pot pie or roasts. If it is a more current recipe, e.g. veggie pasta or vegan dishes, I prefer online recipes. If it is a recipe that was originally in metric amounts, I prefer looking for it online as some websites have converters so I do not have to second guess myself.
Roses1

Post by Roses1 »

Hello, I'm new here.
People still use the physical book when cooking. I have used cook book several times to prepare meals with I had no idea how they were prepared
chinonsom

Post by chinonsom »

yes even me i have them
JazmynElizabeth
Favorite Author: Martina Cole
Currently Reading: If I Should Die
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmynelizabeth.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
fav_author_id: 10914

Post by JazmynElizabeth »

Nothing beats using your grandmother's old cookbooks to whip up food. Much more fulfilling than Internet recipes.
Who needs friends when you can have daddy issues and a huge home library?
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

writerlady1904 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 21:50 I love collecting old cookbooks and have a collection of about 40 or so. My most used ones have recipes from the 1800's or later. I have a few that have exotic recipes like a southern cook book that actually tells me several ways to prepare opossum, racoons and other vermin. Needles to say, I don't cook from those, but they are fun to look through. A few years ago a public library actually sat an entire collection of old Southern Living cookbooks out by their door with a FREE sign. Husband was not happy carrying THAT box out to the car lol
Laughed at this! Mm, opossum (no never eaten it, don't intend to). Sometimes the old books are the best. I just got a stack of books for $10 via Gumtree and am wading through them. I bought them because I was only after one book, but some of the others are really good as well. Unexpected bonuses! One is a book by former First Ladies and Governers' wives and describes their favourites when entertaining. I'm in Australia by the way and am quite surprised at how I got hold of such a thing. Also, I love me some Southern Living! I have a Southern Living cookies cookbook after spending a few years in the US, and there are great recipes in it which no one around here knows about (must make some soon lol). Very envious of your haul, writer lady.

There are lots of modern, inventive and unusual recipes online but I love physical cookbooks to browse through and drool over the pictures. They inspire me to cook. I don't always enjoy the routine of cooking but a special dish is always nice.

On another note, my mother in law treasures her copy of The Complete Asian Cookbook by Charmaine Solomon. Not just because it's a really good book with tried and tested recipes and secondly, it belonged to her eldest son who used it regularly before he was killed in a freak car accident (nearly 30 years ago). It's a link to him.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

My mom and I used to, but the internet is just so handy when it comes to finding new recipes! I know I almost exclusively use the internet now, though my mom still has a huge hoard of cookbooks she'll flip through occasionally.
mom55

Post by mom55 »

i even copy onto note cards recipes i find on youtube. but my real pride and joy is my 100+ years old wooden covered cookbook. i prefer the paper, cause when the power goes out so do the computers.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”