Restaurant for business?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Restaurant for business?

Post by Snowhite189 »

If you love to cook did you consider the idea of putting up a restaurant, if you'll ask me, I would like but the question will be do I have enough resources to do it, i should have money to put up a business such as like this and a lot of preparation needs to be done.
What goes around comes around
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

I've thought about it, but then I looked at the paperwork and promptly decided against it. I don't have the patience for that.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Yes. I have often thought about it. I have so much fantastic recipe that I would love to share with my customers. One day, one day I will make it happen with God's help.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Snowhite189 wrote: 03 May 2018, 19:19 If you love to cook did you consider the idea of putting up a restaurant, if you'll ask me, I would like but the question will be do I have enough resources to do it, i should have money to put up a business such as like this and a lot of preparation needs to be done.
This thought occurs to me often too.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

It would be so hard to start a restaurant, even if I had amazing cooking skills. I'm an okay cook, nothing really fancy or sometimes I try to improve something and it doesn't come out right.

Another concern would be, what could my restaurant offer that had enough of a market to bring in customers and keep them coming back? People are more adventurous in what they want, but also want value for the food they get. Would a fusion restaurant be too fleeting? Would a more classic diner set up attract enough interest?

Then there are all the regulations to deal with - not only hygiene and quality, but informing customers about what we offer. One of my mom's old co-workers had a son who was allergic to several things, including dairy, eggs, most nuts, and a few other more specific things. Then there are people who don't eat some things due to religious or ethical reasons, so it becomes a question of how should a restaurant try to meet these needs - keep separate kitchens that are allergen free? Advertise what food is offered and mention that somethings are not on the menu? Build a very specific menu that has a niche audience?

Then again, a restaurant that's main offering are variations of grilled cheese is doing well in my county, so... :? :eusa-think:
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I thought about it once or twice, but to be honest, I'd rather open a bakery. I don't have the patience to make savory meals, but I love making pies and cakes :P
omore
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by omore »

of couse yes and need to begin one soon and would like to know more about the current trnds in that biz
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

When I was younger I wanted to have my own baking company. I swore I was going to make a cute little start up in my garage and that it would look like a bakery. Pastel colors, goodies made-to-order. Obviously, I didn't do it. 😑

Other than pretending to own and run a restaurant at a young age, never went any further than that.
Last edited by TaaraLynn on 25 Jul 2018, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

My understanding is that restaurant businesses are the hardest to make profitable. I am betting a business plan and a loan is how most would do it.
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

When I was just out of high school I considered a culinary degree a toured a very nice school. At the end my tour guide laid it out for me. 'You have a family? Plan for kids? Set it aside, get ready for 18 hour work days in a market so competitive that half the start ups don't last six months.' I've known couples trying to keep even small restaurants going that never leave the building but to sleep. It is incredibly tough and if is not an absolute passion that you are willing throw yourself into for the next 20 years it will just burn you out.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I've thought about it a lot of times. In fact it is my dream to have a pastry shop or a restaurant, but I don't think I'll be able to get that dream since our life is really hard.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I would love to open a restaurant but the thing is i dont have enough resources even to open an inn😂😂😂
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I love food and cooking, but not in a commercial scale of a restaurant. Thats back breaking work and takes all fun out of cooking.
Nana2adomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Nana2adomah »

I have always wanted to get my own restaurant but thinking of resources and money to start. How do I get this things to start?
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

My brother and I used to talk about opening a restaurant. He would do the main dishes and I would do the baking. Nowadays, having known people from the restaurant industry, I don't think I would want to invest in the time it would take to build the business. Not the mention the stress that comes with it.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”