Saving Stress-Crockpots & Microwaves

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Re: Saving Stress-Crockpots & Microwaves

Post by Charlaigne »

Australian here - by crockpot you mean slow cooker right?

I don't have a slow cooker but do have a microwave. It's useful to warm leftovers, melt chocolate and cook papadum and popcorn. The rest of our food is cooked using stovetop, oven or pressure cooker. My fave time-saving appliance is the pressure cooker. I would choose that over the microwave (which we only have because of my partner). Being suspicious and paranoid by nature, I am not 100% convinced microwaved food is healthy (but still eat it). I also find microwaved food falls short on taste (have eaten plenty of it over the last couple of decades). Partner's mother constantly extols the virtues of the microwave but I just don't care for microwaved food in general. Snobby me. But it is very useful for a few things as mentioned above, I wouldn't disagree.

I love, love, love my pressure cooker and would prefer it to a slow cooker. I personally think the pressure cooker is the best thing to happen in the kitchen world. Sorry to be difficult. :) I had planned to get a slow cooker but ended up getting the pressure cooker. My pressure cooker is not an Instant Pot, it's just a stainless steel stovetop Hawkins pressure cooker. It's great though. Don't know how I went without it. I don't need the slow cooker any more.

I read recently that foods cooked in a slow cooker taste like canned soup. Does anyone know if there's any truth in this? I have never eaten anything that has come out of a slow cooker. No one I know has one.
Nichole Kurns
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Life
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nichole-kurns.html
Latest Review: Intricate Mandalas with Inspirational Quotes: by Big Initial Studios

Post by Nichole Kurns »

Crockpots are the best thing I have discovered on my cooking journey. I love that I can put a meal in the crockpot and almost forget about it.
I rarely use a microwave.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

I use more of microwave.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

My crockpot is a necessity! When you have several dinner guests, it is so much easier to make a crockpot meal of potato soup or roast instead of having to fit everything in the oven.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”