Traditional versus Modern, what preferred you most?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
cristy_fetalino0623
Currently Reading: What God is Saying
Bookshelf Size: 10

Traditional versus Modern, what preferred you most?

Post by cristy_fetalino0623 »

I love to cooked in a a traditional way.

What yours?
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I was rasied with traditional cooking and that's what I still do.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

I think it really depends on the culture a person is coming from what "traditional" and "modern" mean to them in regards to cooking. Being from the US, we do have regional cuisines that could be considered traditional, but our country isn't really that old and is a huge melting pot of other cultures and dishes. So traditional doesn't penetrate very deeply into the past for many of us. Some people have traditional recipes they or their relatives brought with them from other places, but a lot of us don't.

So I guess I enjoy traditional cooking in that I sometimes like to make regional US cuisine that is well-known and a comfort-food to my family. I also like traditional cooking in that I have a lot of fun researching and adapting very old recipes for special occasions. For example, last Christmas I researched and made from absolute scratch several varieties of mincemeat as they may have been made at different times in British history to see what the different tastes would be like.

But then again, I really like experimenting with different sorts of culinary fusion and modern taste profiles, e.g. matcha white chocolate truffles. So I think in truth, I just really like to cook, and modern or traditional, it has a place in my kitchen.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

It depends on the type of food that I am cooking. Some types of food taste great the traditional way and some types taste better when they are cooked the modern way. Some taste great when cooked both ways.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I'd go for traditional cooking as it's what I'm familiar with. It also reminds me so much of home so somehow there's an additional comfort when I eat the dish.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

I like traditional but a twist now and then is fine too.
Niavia Guardiana
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Niavia Guardiana »

For me, I much refer cooking in traditional way because you're doing it many times enough than cooking in a modern way you're knowledge in cooking is not enough.
oocynthia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by oocynthia »

As far as I'm cooking, I don't really care if it's traditional or modern way.
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

I love getting my hands dirty and doing things the old fashioned way. There's not too much in the way of traditional English food, so I've adopted Indian food. Making my own cheese and curry sauces is so satisfying.
SammiArch
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiarch.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SammiArch »

I like to balance both. I cook 5 homeade meals a week and at least one of those nights I try something I have never made before, usually getting the recipe from Facebook or a general google search. There is nothing wrong to sticking to the tried and true, like baked mac and cheese, a roast chicken with stuffing, or spaghetti and meatballs, but when you eat at home so often, its crutial to try something new every once in a while! I can post some of my favorite (and easy!) new recipes that my family recently tried and loved if anyone is interested in mixing it up!
Alpa patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Alpa patel »

As traditional methods is the core of the receipe and there is belif behind it.some recipe love to cook in traditional way as it is but some time traditional healthy dish with new modern way it becomes fun to do it.and also have art to give a new look and taste to a famous dish and get approved by all members.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I prefer the traditional way but because I'm trying out new things and leaving my comfort zone, I try the modern way more often now.
Auschef_53
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Auschef_53 »

Either. Anything that challenges me as a chef.
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

I used both! My mother taught me a lot of traditional cuisine sometimes I added twist and surprisingly they taste good!
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

I would say both. Traditional recipes typically work for a reason. With modern twists, they are typically for health reasons. My family's ethnic background cuisine uses a lot of coconut milk. I sometimes substitute this with another milk due to issues with cholesterol.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”