Tea after meals helps or hurts digestion?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Re: Tea after meals helps or hurts digestion?

Post by Zimall »

I have also heard that tea helps digestion but i think too much tea isn't good. It can cause stomach problem.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

I believe it's the warmth of the drink. Having some warm water can help as much as tea. These days I drink a cup of ginger tea with freshly grated ginger and it works wonders.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

It depends on the tea in my opinion. I think decaffeinated herbal teas can be good. Peppermint. Fennel. Lavender. Also lemon and ginger. I think you just need to see what works for you!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Shubham Chakraborty
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shubham Chakraborty »

I also love drinking tea after meal and I always drink green tea. So far it doesn't give any bad effects in my digestion.
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I think how you drink your fa matters as much as what kind of tea you drink. Adding milk and sugar/honey takes away from the soothing benefits.

For me: I like a plain green tea with no additives for relaxing or echenesia if I’m not feeling well. I choose a creamy chai if I want something emotionally comforting.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I love a cup of black tea mid-morning to keep me energized for the afternoon slump. One of my favorite new flavors taste like cinnamon toast! Often I'll have it with a low carb snickerdoodle cookie
I haven't noticed any problems having tea prior to a meal or immediately afterward- and often drink tea with the meal itself.
Res Alexis
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Res Alexis »

It depends on how you look at it.One must take time to understand their feeding, digestive and health pattern. An acquittance at one time told me that a cup at the end of a hot day enables the body to excrete the excess heat.This one thing a cold or hot bathe can not do.In my opinion, at the end of busy day or when I feel that my metabolism system is glucose deficient, a full course meal plus a sugary cup of tea are the order.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

SparklesonPages wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 11:37 Okay so I’m obsessed with tea. Most reports say that a cup of tea after meals can help with digestion. I have recently read that it may hinder proper digestion?
What do you think ?
I don't have any specific research I've read either way, but I never seem to have digestive issues when I include tea after meals. So I'd say in my experience it helps digestion.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I don't like tea cause I grew up in a village of tea farmers and my home is behind a tea factory. There was just so much tea around it got on my nerves.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

DakotaA wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 09:30 It depends on the tea in my opinion. I think decaffeinated herbal teas can be good. Peppermint. Fennel. Lavender. Also lemon and ginger. I think you just need to see what works for you!
I agree!

I think caffeinated teas in moderation are probably not bad including for digestion, but there is nothing like the above herbs to soothe digestion.

I agree a lot of added sugar or even milk might not aid digestion. When my throat is sore, though- an unfortunately I get that often- I need honey in my tea!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
BelleReadsNietzsche

Taylor Danvers wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 15:24 I don't like tea cause I grew up in a village of tea farmers and my home is behind a tea factory. There was just so much tea around it got on my nerves.
Oh my gosh this sounds like heaven. I am jealous!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
BelleReadsNietzsche

Speaking of tea, I just read a good review of a book that uses cups of tea as a way characters connect around personal and relationship issues. For tea lovers who like such books (this one does deal with mental illness FYI), the Second Cup by Sarah a Marie Graye May be worth checking out. I ready @lunastella’s review at viewtopic.php?p=1107452&sid=b66fd770397 ... 3#p1107452 But I am sure there are other worthy reviews of this book around the forums also.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I love having a cup of tea after a meal, particularly if my meal leaves me with an upset stomach afterwards. If it makes you feel better you should just do it, but maybe try some more herbal based teas if you have not already.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

SparklesonPages wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 11:37 Okay so I’m obsessed with tea. Most reports say that a cup of tea after meals can help with digestion. I have recently read that it may hinder proper digestion?
What do you think ?

I'd say it definitely helps. At least it always helps me when I have an upset stomach.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think it depends on the tea and how you drink it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”