What's your favorite or "go to" cook book?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

What's your favorite or "go to" cook book?

Post by KLafser »

Anymore, I'm mostly online for recipes. I like the feedback from others who have tried creating the concoction and what changes they've made to make it even better/unique. That said, I do have cookbooks that consistently produced excellent results as well as some that always have awful results (one, in particular, was a gift from a dear relative and I don't have the heart to get rid of it). So, I'm wondering, what's your favorite source for recipes? If it's an actual book, please share the title!
KLafser

Post by KLafser »

My favorite printed book is one that is long out of print: The Little Pie Company of the Big Apple. It has a whole chapter dedicated to apple pies followed by chapters on fruit pies, cream pies, and then a couple sections on other delectable baked goods. If you can find it, I highly recommend it!
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Well, my mom always goes by this Pillsbury cookbook from 1979. She's had it since I was younger. It's A+, pretty sure she received (or took) it from my grndmother. We rarely go online for recipes.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
KLafser

Post by KLafser »

TaaraLynn wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 12:08 Well, my mom always goes by this Pillsbury cookbook from 1979. She's had it since I was younger. It's A+, pretty sure she received (or took) it from my grndmother. We rarely go online for recipes.
Growing up, my mom had this set called Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery, and it was a 12 volume set. I loved it because you really could look up any ingredient and it would have a description, origin, and typical uses - it's where I learned about quince! I was so excited a few years ago when, for Christmas, my parents gave me and my 2 sisters our own set. They has scoured flea markets until they had 3 complete sets. I don't cook from it much anymore as the recipes tend to be that 'fat-heavy' type from the past, but I do peruse it now and then!
bstarr100
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bstarr100 »

I am most fond of Ina Garten. Her recipes are well written and for the most part do not require hard-to-find exotic ingredients. I consistently get great results whenI use them. I also like the books from Cook's Illustrated. As far as a general reference goes, I use The All New Good Housekeeping Cookbook. It has come a long way in terms of updating its recipes, with the advantage of their having been thoroughly tested before publication.
KLafser

Post by KLafser »

bstarr100 wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 19:12 I am most fond of Ina Garten. Her recipes are well written and for the most part do not require hard-to-find exotic ingredients. I consistently get great results whenI use them. I also like the books from Cook's Illustrated. As far as a general reference goes, I use The All New Good Housekeeping Cookbook. It has come a long way in terms of updating its recipes, with the advantage of their having been thoroughly tested before publication.
I will take a look at the ones you mention. My go-to magazine for recipes has always been Southern Living. I will try Good Housekeeping too!
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

I guess my go-to reference book is The Joy of Cooking. It covers most categories, from how to butterfly a duck to different types of pastry cremes. But I also have favorites for most recipe types when I want to try something new-- The Moosewood Cookbooks are fantastic for browsing through, I have a really cool Chinese cook book called something like 1000 Chinese Recipes (maybe) that is true Chinese cooking, recipes separated by region, The Silver Spoon is great for seafood, I have a bound recipe book from a restaurant I love that has really nice marinade recipes... There are so many types of cooking that everything could never be contained in one place. And the internet certainly has it's place, as well, but for me does not replace cookbooks in recipe searches so much as supplement them.
Aisha I
Currently Reading: Dead Lock
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-i.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Aisha I »

My favourite cookery book is AFRICAN KITCHEN COOKERY BOOK by Okoro T. Ifeoma
KLafser

Post by KLafser »

Aisha I wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 01:49 My favourite cookery book is AFRICAN KITCHEN COOKERY BOOK by Okoro T. Ifeoma
Ooooo... tell me more about this one. Would love to try it!
Aphroditelaughs
Currently Reading: The new wild
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphroditelaughs.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aphroditelaughs »

I love Mark Bitman’s Kitchen Express. A bunch of recipes that take twenty minutes or less. Plus, he doesn’t provide exact amounts, instead saying some of this and some of that. This has really helped me to improvise in the kitchen.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

If I need a new recipe, my first thought is to call mom. Her mother was illiterate so recipes were never written down. Instead, they were passed down, from memory, through experience. My mother had a lot of recipes written down but most things she can just rattle off without looking.

My second option is Pintrest. Its so easy to search and save on there.

Once I find something I really like, and I've changed it to be even better (in my opinion), I print it with a personal picture and save it in my recipe binder.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It's funny, more and more I go online to find a recipe especially if I have a few ingredients and I just want to find a way to combine them. Also, I am making my own notebook of recipes I try and really like. I don't put one in there until I have made it successfully.
Auschef_53
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Auschef_53 »

I have over 350 cookbooks but I don't use them anymore. I also don't use recipes. If I want to cook something, based on what I have available, I look up a recipe on the web, scan it and then do my own thing.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

Jamie Oliver's cookbooks are my favorites. He has a way with "veg," and I really like veggies. He has a variety of fish pie recipes, and they are always a hit.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

The Settler's Cookbook! I grew up with it. It has everything from cherry cordial to possum (the recipe for which begins with, 'feed the possum on buttermilk and sweet cornbread for two weeks')
The Betty Crocker book is a great go to as well. But for anything new I too search online.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”